MAC products that were ahead of the style curve

liba

I've been wearing Light Affair nail polish a lot lately (from Love Lace at the end of '09). Not the easiest MAC polish formula, but I bought it at the time because I thought that pale, greyed out color was so unusual and complex.

As it turns out, these pale, slightly lavender, greyish mannequin hands shades have just been growing exponentially in popularity. MAC's released a few similar (but not as nice) colors this year alone and other brands have gone hog-wild and released entire collections with variations on this type of shade.

Yesterday I was wandering around a big department store beauty dept. and had a bit of a private laugh when a Chanel rep (of all brands) jumped out at me and complimented my nail polish shade. I thanked her, but wasn't in the mood to chat so I didn't mention what it was and realized afterwards she'd looked a little disappointed, like she was dying to hear what color it was. Sorry, hon!

Anyhow, this got me thinking about other MAC products and colors that got the advance on big beauty trends. What are some of your favorites?

LMD84

great post! i agree that mac are ahead of the trends most of the time! :) and i bet your polish looked lovely :)

liba

great post! i agree that mac are ahead of the trends most of the time! :) and i bet your polish looked lovely :)
Sometimes they jump in on a trend or do a dupe from another brand, but when they jump out ahead of the pack, they really knock it out of the park.

All those purple and brown lippies over the past couple of years is another trend MAC is creating interest for - people thought the brown lipsticks in Fabulous Felines were so blech, but they stuck by their guns and a year later, everyone loved Krazy Kahuna and Legendary mattene. Other brands are starting to slip in purple lipsticks and glosses, but usually not as interesting as the MAC ones. As for obvious browns, that still seems a little too way out. The only brand that does a range of equally awesome browns is Ellis Faas and it's very expensive and hard to come by.

Now MAC's slipping greyish lips in, bit by bit (they've always been the most consistent about offering silver gloss and lipsticks) and by next fall, I'm sure that trend is really going to be chugging away at other companies.

I guess this is why I'm so brand loyal with MAC. Other brands very often have much better formulations, but when it comes to color, they're always coming up short - either too conservative and subdued or too garish and not nuanced.

Latest posts