Mac recruitment for temp Xmas - My Experience

Snob1111

Hi Guys Ok I am going to share my experience about the Mac recruitment process. Ok so I applied for for weekend position at Mac in a concession . I told them I can only work weekends and I have retail experience but not worked for a makeup brand but am mac obsessed as I am a MUA etc. they went through some questions like why work for Mac, your favourite products and how you would sell them and what you can bring to Mac etc.... So I passed through to the 2nd stage which is the face to face. I was to that I would not meet the store manager as the regional manger will be interviewing me. I booked a date Unfortunately the head office did give me the greatest directions and I was late :( ( which I was so bad at myself but It was out of my control London transport arghh) and I met a guy he said I was told and would need to reschedule . I was Sooo upset at this time as I had taken the day off and would have to wait over 3 weeks for next interview which are at one at the stores. So my face to face interview came I was super earlier had to sit in cost fur ages as store wasn't even open . I was not going to be late!! Had my interview with a lady who I actually recognised from Imats anyway she asked basic questions but she did say that as I do not have experience for working with a makeup brand, she could not put me forward and as I work full time also , whether I could manage working 7 days . I assured I could as I had done it previously. Anyway ate says she asked if I would consider Xmas temp I agreed as I wanted to get my foot in the four. Nevertheless she put me forward for another store. I called her direct and met her she as lovely and was very informal and more like a chat whereas the other felt like a very formal interview. She said she is happy for me to prices and was ok with me working full time . Ok so 2 days I had my makeup test. Ok I arrived super nervous and trying not to panic. I met the trainer she says my model was on her they had arranged for me to use a mac employee as I was not able to arrange as such short notice. Anyway my model turned up she didn't seem to pleased that she would have to take her makeup . Which automatically made me feel bad anyway I tried to put that behind me. The lady showed me a picture and said you gave 20 mins to do the whole face minus the eyebrows. At this point I was on panic mode as I was expecting 45 mins anyway I managed to grab the products and my hands were shaking so I went back to my station. I knew mac big on sanitising so I asked and then the trainer showed me how to do it the mac way do I began making sure all clean. I did the eyes and started on the face and I was told I have 5 min and I completely forgot concealer ( you forgets concealer) anyway I started to do lipstick but it was as neat ad I wanted and then finished with fix spray. The model went literally straight away the trainer looked at her face and didn't give me feedback. I had my interview and then I asked for feedback she says I worked we'll with my model and explained what I was doing using etc. she said that I should make the transition from the eyeshadows and I knew I should have made it more stronger and she says my like should be precise. I am a perfectionist so I was completely on panic mode. Anyway I was to I would get a call I didn't get a call and I came home only to find a letter so say I was unsuccessful I was gutted and so upset. I rang the regional manager to see if I can get feedback but unfortunately she still had not returned my call :( that was 2 days ago :(. I rang up head office they says there was a stronger candidate . I am disappointed and I guess I wanted constrictive feedback so I can work on it. I guess I was but good enough for MAC :( Sorry it was not a happy ending so I have to wait a further 4 months. Hope this helps other who are currently applying for MAC. Xxxx

daisybuti

You had a model provided for you?! I am interviewing for Xmas temp position as well with a hope of being put onto permanent after Xmas.

My interview was last week, very informal but with the store manager and the assistant manager, i thought I did pretty bad to be honest but they rang me a couple days ago saying me and 2 other candidates had gotten through. I have gotten the date for my make up demo but thats not till 2 weeks time! And I have to go all the way to Birmingham store to do the demo with the regional manager and was told to provide a model!

I am super nervous about that cause I didnt think I had gotten through and wouldnt have to experience the demo... Now I hope I pass this demo and get the job!

If I dont get this job I will try the recruitment site cause I applied for this MAC position via handing CV into counter.

I lack retail, but have great customer service skills. I think theyre only interested in me is cause I have flexibility and went to a make up school which they happen to know.

Other than that my makeup skills are just generally doing make up on myself and self taught from youtube lol

Good luck for next time you try tho.

Snob1111

Hi Unfortunately my model was not available so they let me do the makeup on one of the workers. I am disappointed as I really wanted to work for Mac and now I have to wait a further 4 months :( . Good luck for your demo try not to panick and they most likely give you 20 mins to do the whole face minus eyebrows. Let me know how it goes xxx

daisybuti

Thank you for heads up! Originally I had a mess about with my date cause I told them I was struggling for a model! And they were gonna change the date but they rang me today saying that they were looking for a model for me (but I had already found one lol) and they were really nice!

They gave me lots of info which i assume they tell everyone, stuff like make sure to wear all black with heavy make up, make sure you are super clean :S sanitized etc. I was just happy cause it made it seemed like I actually mattered lol.

I will be studying my ass off for different looks and the day to night looks which seems pretty easy...ish

How long did it take for you get get feedback exactly? I know u only found out about a couple days ago but how long exactly was it? lol

Will let you know how it goes... im still bummed its xmas temp and itll only be like 6 weeks but I hope to get the foot in the door and they did say even if I cant stay on as perm straight after, temps are usually the first ones to be contacted if there is an opening ^^

Snob1111

Hey That's good to be honest I never got told to dress black wear heavy makeup etc. I wore a subtle smokey eye and Russian red lipstick ( which I love :) ) I didn't wear ruby woo as it drys my lips. Well I got a call from the regional manager today to give me feedback she said I need to perfect the lips ( which I had rushed as I only had 20 mins :( to do whole face) . She said just practise and hopefully next I will get through. To be honest I am really gutted so I don't know if I will reapply. I am disappointed as I was under the impression I would get 45 mins as I have heard from other people/threads. She also said I need a stronger rapport with the model I guess as she was a worker there and was not really happy that she had to be my model it did kind throw me off and I did try and be myself with her but she hardly said anything :(. But one thing I would say defiantly bring your own model . It helps as you already know them etc. Xx

daisybuti

Thank youuuu :)
I will definitely keep the 20 minute in mind! I have a bad habit of spending too much time on the eyes when there are other places to focus! I suppose if they want a day to night look, the eyes should be quite easy and quick to do.

At first I hoped they would provide me a model because in a normal situation you dont know who you customers are gonna be and what they look like, but like you said, bringing your own will be better cause you'll know them etc and esp for a make up demo in an interview! lol. I am taking a friend of mine but i wont be able to practise before i go down as she is already in B'ham and im quite far away! I suppose as long as I know what she looks like, should be fine... good thing is she says she doesnt use make up much and dont know much about it, so i will be using this as an advantage for when im doing her make up!!!!

HOPEFULLY, its just me and my model on the day cause I know although u can bring ur own model, sometimes they like to swap around...

Thanks again :) Will post on here straight after I get back from demo! lol

Snob1111

I thought it would be a simple but it was a heavy Smokey look to be honest the look they give you for 20 mins you are going to rush and that's the reason why my lips were rushed. I'm gutted as I thought I would be ok but like I said I didn't realise that 20 mins. :( Good luck hope you get further then me x

daisybuti

Thanks for letting me know, now I am going to practise like crazy to make sure I can do a heavy make up look within a short time limit!
Will definitely update you on my demo experience :)
Don't be discouraged, you should definitely reapply if you really want to work for MAC!! At least next time if you get to do demo again you have experience of what its like and you can learn from your mistakes!!

Snob1111

I know I'm still not over it feeling sorry for myself. Lol I'm going to buy plumage eyeshadow to cheer myself up. Lol Goodluck honey hope you nail it xxx

daisybuti

I am feeling sorry for myself too atm lol! Just had my interview today and I think i am in a similar position as you. I rushed the lips!!!!!!! LOL
I had 30 mins to recreate a look from the chart. I didnt finish the make up (brows, eyeliner and mascara) the lips were HORRIFIC! it was fine until i applied lipgloss!!! and then she told me to stop and i didnt get the chance to clean up with a q tip/concealer!

She gave me 15 more mins to pick 2 products to change the look, so i picked brows and a gel liner, cause my model literally... had NO brows (very, VERY sparse brows) i had to draw them on for her cause i wanted it to give structure to the face!! and then a graphic liner which didnt turn out as good as i hoped.

did you do your interview in birmingham? I think this was good for my experience but other than that i think its probably as far as I will go for now.................... i honeslt do think i did super bad and on top of that i didnt even finish the look :(!!

did you have to do the skin care? i had to cleanse, moisture then prep and i went off to a very bad start!!!

Snob1111

Hey daisy Sorry for late reply. Aww I'm sure you did better then me yes I had to do skin are and I only had 20 mins they didn't give me an additional 15 mins to make amendments. I had my interview in London selfridges. I'm sure you did much better then me. I asked for feedback she said lips need to be precise and more on eyes. But when I asked about me talking to model she said I was fine. But then when I got feedback from regional manager she said I didn't interact with model which was disheartening as I clearly asked for extra info. Oh we'll have to wait 4 months. Xxx

jojotaughtme

You had a model provided for you?! I am interviewing for Xmas temp position as well with a hope of being put onto permanent after Xmas.

My interview was last week, very informal but with the store manager and the assistant manager, i thought I did pretty bad to be honest but they rang me a couple days ago saying me and 2 other candidates had gotten through. I have gotten the date for my make up demo but thats not till 2 weeks time! And I have to go all the way to Birmingham store to do the demo with the regional manager and was told to provide a model!

I am super nervous about that cause I didnt think I had gotten through and wouldnt have to experience the demo... Now I hope I pass this demo and get the job!

If I dont get this job I will try the recruitment site cause I applied for this MAC position via handing CV into counter.

I lack retail, but have great customer service skills. I think theyre only interested in me is cause I have flexibility and went to a make up school which they happen to know.

Other than that my makeup skills are just generally doing make up on myself and self taught from youtube lol

Good luck for next time you try tho.
Hey there :) I know this was a long time ago but I can't find anyone else I can ask this... But did they offer you a permanent position after? Or was there a chance to? I currently work for a makeup brand but I'm not happy there but I'm permanent and I was just offered a Xmas temp position at MAC but i don't know if I should take it as I don't want to be jobless afterwards!