"MAC shouldn't be worn everyday, it's stage makeup."

crystrill

So last night I referred someone to MAC when this girl was like "Oh, no... try Bare Escentuals... it's better for your skin, MAC is stage makeup, not meant for everyday wear, and if you wear it everyday when you're old you'll have bad skin." Well, she didn't say it ALL at once but I summarized it into one sentence. She works at Sephora.

Since when is MAC ONLY stage makeup? I don't see them selling any other "stage" makeup at department store counters. When I pointed it out she said it's because "...it's a makeup line, that's why they sell it." But when ever have you seen a department store selling stage makeup? The counters in those stores are for the "general public". And she was like "Ask any professional makeup artist, they will tell you that it's stage makeup."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the "stage makeup" MAC sells is sold only at a MAC STORE. As for the counters, it's just "general use" products. The *same* items you would find at a Dior, Lancome, etc... counter. So how is wearing my "stage makeup" StudioFix hurting my skin? TONNSSS of people who aren't even into MAC "like that" own StudioFix.

And not to knock Bare Escentuals because I'm sure it works wonderful for some people, but that crap only makes me ashy. No matter what color, or combination of colors I use. Or how I use it. People have been wearing regular, non mineral makeup for years just fine. I'm not going to walk around looking ashy because it's "better for me".

MACATTAK

Nah don't believe that crap. Use whatever works best for you. I don't know where she got that idea, but I highly disagree with it. I would attribute bad skin when you are older to lack of sunscreen, tanning, smoking etc, and not much to do with my makeup choices in younger years!

Girl about town

Im sure using foundation is good for your skin as it prtects it from sun damage (if has spf) and pollution as long as you cleanse properly. I tried to use Bare essensuals and after a few days i swear all the buffing nearly rubbed the skin off my face! my face was red raw!!

Asphyxia

I've never heard of MAC being stage makeup, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. I've been told by a MAC artist that some of their products are used to work well with photography (I guess this applies to any makeup) such as Studio Tech. Whenever I go somewhere that I know photos will be taken, I'll wear studio fix or tech. I'm sure as long as you take care of your face each day there should not be a problem. This is a good topic btw.

EDIT: I also want to add . . . Wear MAC everyday because we only live once and we pay way too much for it and we have too much of it.
winks.gif

miss_supra

A lot of people think it StudiFix clogs pores. It actually doesn't and was designed with dermatology testing. The misconception comes from people reusing the sponge that comes with the compact. That sponge after use starts to harbor bacteria, and that's the bacteria that helps cause acne. Another issue is with talc being in the make-up, which mineral make-up doesn't contain.

crystrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
Another issue is with talc being in the make-up, which mineral make-up doesn't contain.

And talc isn't just found in my "stage makeup". It's in drugstore brands too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
YES....All the worlds a stage...and we're on it...wearin MAC
smiles.gif

I <3 you
smiles.gif

miss_supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystrill
And talc isn't just found in my "stage makeup". It's in drugstore brands too.

Exactly! these were the biggest complaints I hear about StudioFix specifically.

red

Mac is considered Professional Makeup, and used by the pros
thmbup.gif

It has high pigmentation, and so many positives.
Yes, it doesn't always have the best ingredient list, but this can be said of most brands.

Insofar as talc, it's in almost all face powders, including Le Clerc.
I believe that Shiseido's face powder doesn't contain talc, but this is a rarety among most major brands.

astronaut

Even if it were true, stage makeup = wonderful quality!

And I think something that contributes to MAC not being "consumer friendly" is that the brand is a very trendy and may have a OTT atmosphere.

GreekChick

I'm willing to bet she looked boring, with just a bit of brown mascara on.
Don't forget, they don't sell MAC at Sephora...she was probably trying to make a comission.

purrtykitty

To each their own, and my own happens to be MAC. Sure, the stage stuff is sold...mostly at the Pro store. I certainly don't walk out the door looking like I spackled my face so it can be seen from 30 feet away. I use MAC because I love the color selection and the quality...end of story.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
YES....All the worlds a stage...and we're on it...wearin MAC
smiles.gif

i freakin LOVE that!!!

mac started out as stage makeup, but what is sold at stores and counters has been reformulated so that it is "everyday" wearable by "everyday" people. some pro products, such as chromacakes, paint sticks, leaf metal, glitter and some piggies, are more "stage makeup" makeup, but they can be incorporated into everyday wear. for some people
winks.gif

Esme

I am from a theatre background (in my education, etc) and know the difference. Yes, there is a line of MAC stage make up but as someone else said, that is not what is sold to the general public.
Besides, some stage makeup is fine for street wear! I have been known to go out with stage make up on, especially lippie! It lasts forever. I also like the cover ups for stage mu and the one that is meant for scars and burn victims? Shoot, I can't think of the name of it, now. Anyway, that is great.

GlamYOURUs

Thats why there is MAC PRO STORE, they have things that are used for the 'stage' and other things. But no way is MAC in general, a stage makeup brand. In fact, that is a compliment because it is one brand that has variety for most skin tones. MAC is sold everywhere and all the products can be worn everyday depending upon what works for you. And its guaranteed that other MAs will say that about MAC because its their competitor.

Meryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
I would attribute bad skin when you are older to lack of sunscreen, tanning, smoking etc, and not much to do with my makeup choices in younger years!

Exactly!

MAC has some wonderful sheer formulas, with lovely neutral colours... and that's what I wear.

amoona

Not to diss any Sephora employees (specifically MAC_Pixie cuz we love ya girl) but I've noticed that Sephora employees are kinda anti-MAC haha. Everytime I go into Sephora and start talkin to one of their associates they start raggin on MAC - umm I didn't even bring up MAC. A lot of the stuff they say is also untrue or uber offensive like "they're artists look like trannys." Then I say, first of all I'm a MAC artist and I may look like a fab drag queen but not a tranny (hehe) and one of my managers is a tranny so what's wrong with trannys?! That usually shuts them up.

Anyway back on track - PRO stores have more of the "stage make-up" while counters and normal stores have make-up for the general public. Reason why we don't have pro pans at the counter - it's more of a professional product.

genica

As long as you know how to properly apply foundation it will look good, stage makeup or not. I much prefer my studio fix to BE which does NOTHING for my skin.

Not using sunscreen, smoking, etc. ages you and makes you look bad, not using MAC. That lady needs to get her facts straight before she starts preaching to people.

MAC_Whore

It doesn't matter if your makeup is from the MAC counter, the MAC pro store or the drugstore. If you apply it correctly, if you know what you are doing, that is all that matters. You can make it work. Again, it all comes down to the relative idea of what stage makeup is or what is too much.

seabird

i think she perhaps said it because mac was originally developed as make-up for stage and photography, which has now sort of filtered down by being available to the public easily in dept stores and them introducing products that can be used on a day to day basis without being harsh for your skin. i wouldn't say that studio fix is bad for your skin at all, or they wouldn't sell it. though there are obviously still some products which are aimed at photography and stage in mind, such as the chromacakes etc. i think it's all just a bit of confusion really, and i think the best advice for everyone is just to wear what is best suited to you.

Latest posts