MAC "Silver" pro pigment...counterfeit?

fingie

Has Silver (metal) pigment ever come with a sticker on it? I received one in a swap and everything about the jar looks legit except instead of the typed writing on the back of the jar, this one is a black sticker with white writing..it says things like its flammable (none of my other pigments say this?) and that the net weight is 2.5g/.08oz vs the regular 7.5g/.26oz. I'm not familiar with the metal pigments so IDK if this is accurate or if its a fake, can anyone help me out?

GreekChick

Re: Silver Pro Pigment

Yes, this is normal.
The Silver, Platinum, and Gold Pro Pigments are supposed to come with a black sticker on the back of their jars.

fingie

^^Thank you--I kind of assumed maybe it was just because it was a Metal Pro pigment but wanted to make sure. Thank you so much!
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekChick
Yes, this is normal.
The Silver, Platinum, and Gold Pro Pigments are supposed to come with a black sticker on the back of their jars.

Gold (and Copper & Rose Gold) metals dont come with stickers. My last Silver did, but not the Gold nor the Copper or Rose Gold that came with it.

I'm soo confused - silver pigment

Hi there
I will try and make this as short as possible I bought a silver pigment from ebay looking at the box and the bottle was unsure if it was authentic as it has an opaque sticker on the bottom not clear... So I went to the mac pro store in london and got a silver pigment now the silver pigment I bought from the store is so weird instead of printing on the box and bottle there are black labels
th_dunno.gif
. The pigments themselves are very different. Has anyone else come across the pigments with the black labels?
Also instead of the usual 7.5g/.26 it has written on it 2.5g/0.08 I'm just wondering wht is going on I am so confused.. I will take pics over the next few days so you can see what I am talking about.
Any responses appreciated

ssad.gif

caffn8me

Re: I'm soo confused - silver pigment

If you bought a pigment from the Pro store I can assure you that it's 100% genuine. It may be new packaging to differentiate Pro products (which is what silver pigment is) from regular consumer products.

If you post pictures of the pigment you bought off eBay we'll be able to help you determine its authenticity.

panda0410

The black labels MUST be on Silver metal pigment because Silver metal is flammable and this is right. That was your store pigment and its definitely authentic.

I would love to see your ebay pigment, but I am already sure its a fake version of the silver FROST pigment - not the metal
winks.gif
There are dozens of them floating about. If it has an A75 base sticker and its a frost not a metal then its a fake!!

caffn8me

As for the weight difference, Silver pigment is almost pure aluminium powder which is very light weight for its volume so you couldn't get 7.5g of it in a standard pigment jar. It will still spread just as far though.

Yes, aluminium powder burns!

Thanks so much for your responses I will try and take pics tomorrow and post them I also bought from the same ebayer a glitter brillants silver .. I will take as many pics as I can.
Thanks for explaining the weight difference, it stopped me ringing them and looking silly...hehe

Hi again
I am not sure if I know how to post pics in this forum so I will just post one in various ways to see which one will work. Sorry as I have never put pics on here before

PIC_0452.jpg

Ohh ok its the image link I need will post pics now sorry about the mess on above post

I have noticed the fake lids have a slight purple tinge to them see below
PIC_0458.jpg

The plastic inserts differ in quality also
PIC_0460.jpg

The colour is way off far too dark
PIC_0462.jpg

Swatch test on paper did not want to put any on my skin
PIC_0466.jpg

And here is the silver glitter brillants I recieved from the same ebayer
PIC_0455.jpg

PIC_0472.jpg

PIC_0456.jpg

I am quite sure they are not real in the slightest but I do believe that the ebayer I bought them from does not know.

Any advice what to do would be appreciated very much

Thanks

panda0410

The silver pigment is a fake... like I said - A75 batch sticker tells it all - the REAL Silver (frost) pigment (yes there was once a real Frost version of Silver) was Dcd in 2003 and is actually quite rare. Now there is only the Silver (metal) which you have shown here that is current with the name "Silver".

Your glitter also looks like one of the fakes - and that wouldnt surprise me much. The fake silver pigment and fake silver glitters were doing the rounds in that combination of colours. Sorry
ssad.gif

Its not a problem- the day after I got them I had a good look and only then noticed the many differences(I must stop leaving feedback so quickly)

Thanks for your help panda I will contact the seller and inform them they are fake pigments and see what they say.

LilSphinx

I just bought some "Silver" MAC pigment off of a swapper on MakeupAlley.com
I thought I was only buying about a 1/2tsp. of product, but she surprised me and sent me the whole jar. o_O

I'm assuming that this jar is very possibly a fake, but as I don't know how old this jar is, and I've noticed that MAC likes to switch up the printing/labeling, etc. on their products from time to time...I'm totally confused.

-Aside from the odd sticker label on the backside (which looks old), the lid doesn't seem to align perfectly with the jar as most other authentic MAC jars do. Though, I have an authentic MAC pig. Charm with an off-kilter lid, too. Not sure if that's an issue or not.
The lid is a matte black.

Here are pics. of the item in question:

supposedMACSilverpigment.jpg

So, what do 'you' think?

Thanks in advance!
greengrin.gif

panda0410

Re: MAC "Silver" pigment...counterfeit?

This is authentic, dont stress
smiles.gif

Also wanted to add - Silver is supposed to have a sticker on the back because its FLAMMABLE!

LilSphinx

To Caffn8me: Thank you so much for the quick reply as well as the link. That was 'incredibly' helpful. It looks as though I just got VERY lucky.
greengrin.gif

Only paid $9.00 and that includes the S&H -WOW!
greengrin.gif

LilSphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
This is authentic, dont stress
smiles.gif

Also wanted to add - Silver is supposed to have a sticker on the back because its FLAMMABLE!

Thanks so much.
greengrin.gif
Yeah, I saw that. Thankfully I don't get too close to fire or strong heat sources.
Thanks again!
smiles.gif

Latest posts