MAC site now charging state tax

CaroLynn

I was in the middle of submitting an order and it wouldn't complete. I rebooted and tried again. This time, I was charged FL state tax. I suspect this is part of the reason for the web redesign. Anyone else seeing this?

CaroLynn

Yes, free sample is included. First time I've seen this offer, wasn't aware of MAC offering this before?

shellygrrl

Staff member
I've been charged sales tax when ordering on the MAC website for years (I live in Maine); it's nothing new, and it's certainly NOT why they redesigned the website. They did so to make it more mobile- and tablet-friendly.

CaroLynn

I didn't say it was . I said I SUSPECTED it might have been part of the reason, thinking that maybe it had something to do bringing the site into compliance with state regulations. It was only an opinion, but thank you for setting me straight. Do.you treat all new members this way? This certainly isn't the welcome I was expecting.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I've dabbled in web design as a hobby since 1999. I have a pretty decent idea of what I'm talking about. Again, a big company (or even a smaller e-tailer, for that matter) would not completely redesign a website simply to bring all US states into compliance for sales tax. They would change something in the backend (website's coding) and leave the actual design (stylesheets, graphics) alone. The site redesign was to make it more mobile- and tablet-friendly. I'm not being mean to you; I am only clarifying things.

nikkideevah

U may want to check your old orders because I have been charged tax no matter if I had it sent to ca, nj or tx

meka72

If Mac wasn't charging sales tax on Internet orders shipped to Florida then Mac was most likely violating state law, which usually requires vendors with a physical presence (i.e., freestanding Mac stores) in the state to collect sales tax on purchases. Perhaps Mac discovered the error and moved to correct it or perhaps Mac was audited by the state taxing authority.