MAC snobbery?

HeartOfSilver

Ever buy something, an LE piece of some kind or something special (like a Diana brush, or a temperly palette, etc) with the intention to give it as a gift, and then hesitate because the person probably won't understand the full value?

I think my sister will just chuck the Diana e/s brush I bought for her in with all her crappy brushes
tong.gif
She won't get it.

Am I crazy?

laurenmo88

no, i know how u feel - i've actually given my friend tan pigment and instant gold l/g for a present and she's never used them...

and ya with the diana brush i don't think she'd "get it" either lol...but its okay not everyone is like us

aziajs

No. I feel you. I was going to give a friend some pigment samples that I had cuz I went out and bought the full size jars so I didn't need them but I didn't cuz she'll never use them.

fairytale22

Haha yeah...like with most of my friends if I bought them a MAC lipglass or something they'd treat it like a $2 Safeway lip balm or something. I stick to giving them other stuff instead....

ledonatella

I have one friend that I'll pick up an e/s or something for when i go to the freestanding store and she just really appreciates it and "gets it" and another friend that is always like, "MAC isn't that great...it's just like Cover Girl" and it's like a knife in the heart

HeartOfSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledonatella
"MAC isn't that great...it's just like Cover Girl"

Ohhh, thems fightin' words
nonono.gif
:spy:
rofl.gif

Piaqua

I dragged my friend to mac one day when we were at the mall and bought her something while I was there. Her being there I think made her appreciate it more, because she kind of saw what MAC was all about. Now she's the one dragging me to go.

MACgirl

I know what you mean. i give my sisters samples of stuff i have all the time, most of the time LE products, they havent picked up the term LE yet lol. I always say this item is Limited Edition right now so here's a sample, they liek it, but when they finish it they want the full size product...only its not avialable anymore!lol

BlahWah

So not crazy! I wanted to get some MAC for my sis that she'd appreciate it and was so paranoid my cash would go to waste. I figured if I paid for her makeover at least she'd care about the products a bit more cuz she's the one picking them...it's been two months now and I think she's still using them...*phew* At least now she knows why I go crazy over the LE items, even if my husband doesn't.. *lol*

x music is love

i was hanging out with my cousin last night and she was looking through my makeup bag and she pulls out her 15 pan pallete and tells me how bad i need one (which i already knew and desparately wanted). then she tells me how her friend got it for her (along with 3 eyeshadows, 2 of which im sure have to be limited) and then she says how she's never used them and probably wont cause she doesnt like them and i just look at her like
icon_eek.gif
. So yeah, im sure there are people who just wont "get it"

enka

I know what you mean, most of my friends hardly use Make up and are happy with the drugstore browns und greens.

But lucky me, my sister (who isn't into make up at all!) and my hubby understand my addiction. My hubby loves the great colour diversity and my sister really appriciates the "All ages, all races, all sexes" policy of MAC. She also has a Ru Paul postcard for MAC in her bathroom.

professionaltart

When i first read this i was like whats MAC Snobbery?? is this like a new lipstick i dont know??

Heres the thing with me: I'm only going to give a MAC gift to people that understand the value of a MAC gift. No offense to my aunt or anything but she loves her Lancome so theres no point in giving her anything MAC. My best friend wears zero makeup but because shes my friend she knows the difference. So her TLC is MAC and her lotion is MAC but thats about it...lol

HeartOfSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionaltart
When i first read this i was like whats MAC Snobbery?? is this like a new lipstick i dont know??

Spoken like a true MAC addict
graucho.gif

Kat

I never even attempt to give people makeup as a gift, MAC or not. Makeup is something pretty personal I think...there are even things from MAC that I wouldn't use even if someone gave it to me. People know what they like and what works for them.

I think we need to realise that we are a special breed with this MAC addiction...I suppose it would be like someone who was addicted to i dunno, golf or something, giving me a club because I've played mini golf occasionally and wondering why I'm just not that into it!

ledonatella

Yeah, I mean I'm not a hater to people who don't LOVE it like I LOVE it...but like with my friend who never uses MAC, I'm just like please don't compare it to Cover Girl or whatever if you don't know what you are talking about. I am an M.A. by profession and have been for years and I have used pretty much every brand that ever existed (seriously, it's scary) so if I say something is good quality I do sorta know what I'm talking about. If you try it and you hate it, that's fine just don't knock it til you do so
smiles.gif

laceymeow

i got my grandmother a cockatease lipstick last year because she liked it on me and she got a big laugh out of the name. =P after she asked where she could get one, yet didn't understand there's no mac in our area, i was nice and found one for her. well, after all that it just sits there... i think she used it maybe once! everytime i'd at her house i contemplate taking it back, haha. i wouldn't really do that though of course. i just wish she'd use it.

SonRisa

Personally, I don't care. A gift, is a gift. Once it leavse my hands, what you do with it isn't up to me. I give my friends/sister/mother/grandmother MAC all the time. Lately I've tried to NOT give it to them for whatever occasion because they're not into makeup like I am. They don't care about having 5 zillion colors. With my friends though, I know what number studio fix they all wear, what their staple lipglasses are and I pick up a new one for them every 3 months or so, so when they bitch about needing to get a new one, I have it on hand. Even with MSF . . . I think they're fucking AMAZING and gave a stereo rose to 4 of my friends. 1 of them absolutely adores it. The others barely touch theirs. But then again, the one who wears it more often is totally into wearing colors and everything. I wouldn't say I'm a snob about it so much, but I do put more effort into getting her things rather than the others. Like I'm getting her a Heatherette lipstick, although I want a backup because she'd rock it, her name is Heather and she's having heart surgery and needs a "pick me up". I don't know. Even with random people I don't *really* know. I sent a BN coco beach and holiday palette with parrot in it to someone on my LJ friends list because she wanted it, and I have like 5. WTF do I need with 5? Makeup is <3 and sharing is a beautiful thing!

saucipinkbabydoll

Wow Risa you are so sweet and thoughtful. "Ditto on the gift is a gift" I give a lot of MAC stuff as gifts to all my girlfriends and family.My friends are usually stoked with whatever I give them.... my sister is another thing she's just getting into MAC and two years ago I gave her the Holiday pallette with parrot in it and she barely uses it, but hey a gift is a gift she wears only like two of the colors in that pallette and they're not parrot