MAC studio tech help !

kyashi

hey guys .. sorry if this has been posted already but my searches came up with nothing ..

I am currently using Studio Tech foundation, i find that this is the right coverage for me as i have blemishes and scars and so on but i also I have oily skin. My questions is:

Do i need to set this with something, if yes what is the best choice? - the SA recommended studio fix foundation (powder) to set, but i find that the two dont mix so well, as they are both foundations and it tends to get all patchy around my t-zone later in the day.

Am i doing something wrong?

Please Help !!

thank you in advance

nunu

i use studio tech and i set it with pressed blot powder hth
smiles.gif

Kiseki

I definitely wouldn't set Studio Tech with Studio Fix, basically you're setting foundation with more foundation and it will end up looking cakey.

Also, if you have oily skin, I don't think Studio Tech is the best way to go, you'll end up looking oilier midday if not sooner. However, I would set it with Blot Powder in Loose or Pressed form to control the oil.

redambition

i used to set mine with select sheer loose powder. later, once i was introduced to the wonder of blot powder, i used to dust some blot onto my t-zone as well.

be careful using studio tech a lot if you get the oilies - i found it clogged my skin up. i've had to stop using it as it was causing me big problems. the coverage was absolutely perfect for me, but my skin looked terrible.

Ithica

Agreed with the girls! Blot powder all the way, I used to be super oily with anything i used, but after using plot powder it was really good and lasts me forever too ^_^

And same as what Redambition says, I thought tech was really good and assumed I had to put up with the oil. I ordered a sample of studio fix liquid and its reduced the oil problem.

dmenchi

or you could use the pro invisible stting powder, it's sooo smooth and really helps with oilies and keep a pressed blot for touch ups. also, if you consider blot DON'T get the loose kind, it's such a waste of time: it oxidises and doesn'y absorb oil as much as the pressed one.

Fairybelle

My suggestion would be to dust a bit of MSF pressed powder over in your skintone. Gives a subtle sheen and absorbs oil pretty well. Would also suggest a spritz of Fix+ afterwards to give a glow so you don't end up looking too 'covered'.

kyashi

thanks heaps for the advice everyone .. i think i might try the pressed blot powder to set.. i love fix + for that dewy look .. cos i find studio fix makes me look powdery .

and for studio fix fluid, does is give as much coverage as studio tech ? i need good coverage . studio tech hasnt caused me any skin problems so far but i just get oily around the t-zone and the foundation seems to .. disappear ?

if i switch to studio fix fluid can i set it with blot powder too ?

sorry for so many questions .. thanks again ^^

iluvmac

Yes, SFF provides very good coverage, and I dust it with Blot Powder pressed. Porcelain skin, no shine!

kyashi

thank you so much .. ill check out SFF and pressed blot powder the next time i pop into a mac store, which is next friday when i have my makeover .. hehe cant wait ..

Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyashi
thanks heaps for the advice everyone .. i think i might try the pressed blot powder to set.. i love fix + for that dewy look .. cos i find studio fix makes me look powdery .

and for studio fix fluid, does is give as much coverage as studio tech ? i need good coverage . studio tech hasnt caused me any skin problems so far but i just get oily around the t-zone and the foundation seems to .. disappear ?

if i switch to studio fix fluid can i set it with blot powder too ?

sorry for so many questions .. thanks again ^^

I like to use fix + as well with the Studio Fix to take away the powdery look. Although it usually doesn't stay powdery looking for long. No, the Studio Fix fluid doesn't give as much coverage as the Studio Tech. If you wear Studio Tech and you get oily around your t-zone, just blot with a blot film and then pat a little blot powder. This should indeed help.

kyashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
I like to use fix + as well with the Studio Fix to take away the powdery look. Although it usually doesn't stay powdery looking for long. No, the Studio Fix fluid doesn't give as much coverage as the Studio Tech. If you wear Studio Tech and you get oily around your t-zone, just blot with a blot film and then pat a little blot powder. This should indeed help.

Oh thanks heaps .. if so, i wont need to spend more money on the SFF .. though i might ask the makeup artist for his/her opinion on my purchases , but the blot powder is a must buy ..

what do you apply blot powder with, a brush ? do you apply it with a brush even when you're on the go ?

Copperhead

Quote:
Oh thanks heaps .. if so, i wont need to spend more money on the SFF .. though i might ask the makeup artist for his/her opinion on my purchases , but the blot powder is a must buy ..

what do you apply blot powder with, a brush ? do you apply it with a brush even when you're on the go ?

When I apply the pressed blot powder over the Studio Tech, I lightly brush it on with my powder brush. When I'm on the go, I use the puff it comes with. The only brush I carry with me daily is my lip brush.

redambition

Quote:
studio tech hasnt caused me any skin problems so far but i just get oily around the t-zone and the foundation seems to .. disappear ?

i used to get that too - it was like the foundation was sliding off the oily parts of my face
lol.gif
i have the reverse problem at the moment where my skin is too dry
ssad.gif

it's really good to hear that it agrees with your skin.

it wasn't so much the oily-ness that caused the issues for me - studio tech would cause breakouts in a major way on my skin, no matter what. even a single wear would cause a fresh breakout once i stopped using it daily (after realising that was the main reason my skin was so horrible.)

kyashi

im glad it doesnt cause me any skin issues , not any that i've noticed .. every over foundation i had in the past, i had the same issue around my t-zone even Napoleon Perdis .. loreal was okay but it wasnt enough coverage ...

what have you substituted studio tech for redambition ?

redambition

at the moment i am not wearing foundation on a day to day basis (eeeeeek!) i am just using a light dusting of mineralize skinfinish natural. i've pared down my makeup and skin care to try and let my skin realx a bit.

when i do wear foundation it's either select spf 15 liquid or mineralize satinfinish liquid.

MACaholic76

I used to use Studio Tech and it turned my skin into a nightmare. Not because it was a terrible foundation, I just 1. wasn't wearing it correctly, and 2. It wasn't the best choice for my skin type.
I used the sponge and would layer it on and on and on.
I find Studio Tech more suitable for dry/normal to slightly oily skin. I would recommend using a foundation brush to get a more even and sheer application.
Now, I have to mention how much I hate it when I hear about that good ol' skool thing about setting studio tech with studio fix. I was taught to do this a looong time ago, especially during events, when there is a flow of people. For MAs, it's just the "thing to go to". Poor me, as I fell for this as well before I worked for MAC. That technique works best if you are doing stage work, TV appearances, or something like that, but for every day life you'll just look like a caked up mess. I've been there.
I would go with the other suggestions and set it with either sheer select loose or blot loose or pressed.
As far as Studio Fix Fluid, I think I'm the only person in this planet that doesnt think this offers full coverage. But when paired with a good concealer and some setting powder, it is absolutely flawless.