MAC Sweet Sienna pigment batch A77 real or fake?

jazm1n3s

Hi guys,
I'm going to do a swap for MAC sweet sienna pigment. I asked for pictures and the batch number reads A77. All i know, batch number for sweet sienna is A67, so I'm not sure if this pigment is genuine or fake
th_confused_new.gif

Can somebody please tell me if they have a genuine Sweet Sienna pigment with batch number A77?

Thank you so much!

Makeup Emporium

Hi, I have a Sweet Sienna that is batch A77 and I bought it from MAC so I know it's real! That of course doesn't mean the one you are looking at is real but there are real ones with the batch code A77. HTH.

jazm1n3s

Thank you for your help!

Yeah, I know that doesn't mean the one I'm looking at is real, but I'm not sure if I can post the pictures here since it's from MUA and it's her pictures.

I've never heard anybody ever gotten a fake Sweet Sienna pigment though, so I'm not even sure if they even made it
th_dunno.gif

hhunt2

A77 means... It was the 1st batch on July 2007! That's when it was packaged.

But other than that, it can still be fake.

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazm1n3s
Thank you for your help!

Yeah, I know that doesn't mean the one I'm looking at is real, but I'm not sure if I can post the pictures here since it's from MUA and it's her pictures.

I've never heard anybody ever gotten a fake Sweet Sienna pigment though, so I'm not even sure if they even made it
th_dunno.gif

Yes they made it. It circulated ebay for some time along with fake Your Ladyship pigment
thmbdn.gif

chickatthegym

My Sweet Sienna is batch code A77 also and I bought it straight from the CCO so I know it's real. Here's a pic
smiles.gif

IMG_6263.jpg

1165Cheryl

I too have that batch number but like many others have mentioned it can still be a fake. What some fakes sellers do is buy empty MAC jars and put fake pigment in them. A month ago a gal wrote ask for mulitple empties of the same colors, around 10 different colors in all and 2-3 jars of each. I could tell by the colors she asked for and the request in general she most likley was going to use them for fakes. I asked her where she lived and is was China. I asked her why she wanted multiple of the same colors and mentioned I'm highly against fake sellers, well guess what, she never wrote back. So the moral of the story is the jar can be real but whats inside can be fake. If someone seems fishy to me I won't sell them my empties....

Pictures would help a lot if you can get a chance to post them.

jazm1n3s

Thanks for the replies ladies! The pictures that she took were very blurry because she was using a camera phone, so I doubt anyone can identify it. But she assured me that it is authentic. I guess I just have to take a risk and believe her.
But just like what 1165Cheryl said, if they used an empty MAC pigment jar, then there's no way we can identify it.

I have a sample of sweet sienna, and that's how i'm gonna know whether it's fake or not. The color should match. So, we shall see.

Thanks again guys! I appreciate the help, especially since this is going to be my first full sized pigment.

chickatthegym

That's so sad and deceitful that someone would take the time and effort to fill real jars with fake pigment
ssad.gif

Did the person you are swapping with buy it straight from MAC or the CCO? Good idea with the swatch test to compare it to your samples
smiles.gif

jazm1n3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickatthegym
Did the person you are swapping with buy it straight from MAC or the CCO? Good idea with the swatch test to compare it to your samples
smiles.gif

She told me she bought it from the MAC store. I can only hope she's honest. Buying pigments online is so risky, not just the ones from ebay.

jazm1n3s

Hi guys, the pigment just came yesterday, but it was in my bf place, and I can't get it till next week
ssad.gif

Anyways, he took pics of it and i tried to post them here, but I couldn't figure out how. I'm not using photobucket or anything, and i tried to go to "Gallery" tab but there's no 'upload' option. Anybody can help?

I need to know if the pigment is fake or not before I give her any token in MUA.

TIA!

aussiemacluvrrr

you have to use photobucket or imageshack and upload the photos to there and then copy the links for the photos into a message on here
smiles.gif

jazm1n3s

Yayy.. thank you for your help aussiemacluvrrr!

So here're the pictures of the pigment:

DSC00467.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

I really feel uneasy about this pigment. The girl I swapped it with assured me it's authentic. I did a swatch comparison with my sweet sienna sample I had, and it has more pink shimmers to it than this one. But it may be because i'm too critical about it and imagine things? The difference is not that obvious.

Another thing that makes me wonder is that this pigment stained my 239 brush (like bluish color)! I couldn't get it off, and I never had this experience with my SS sample.

Anybody experienced the same thing with their sweet sienna pigment staining their brushes?

Please help me guys/girls, and tell me if this is fake or not? I need a peace of mind. TIA!

panda0410

Are you sure the sample was authentic?? Sweet Sienna should NOT have pink
WTF2.gif

Still need to see the base of this jar too
winks.gif

On the staining of the brush - did you use alcohol to clean your brush recently or cleaning solution? When exposed to alcohol Sweet Sienna leeches a blue pigment - I noticed this several times I pressed it (others do it too), so if your brush had cleaning solution or antyhing alcohol based it may have cause the pigment to leech.

At this point I'd be considering the sample was a fake and the jar possibly real!

jazm1n3s

I'm pretty sure the sample was authentic. I got it from thebeautysampler.com

Sweet Sienna has some kind of pink and gold shimmers to it, at least on my skintone. They both do
th_dunno.gif

Here're more pics of it:

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

I cleaned my brush using baby shampoo, but the stain was still there, so i washed it again with clarifying shampoo and waited a minute or so before rinsing, but it's still there. Oh and it stained my lids too! I never had this problem when using the sample.

Gosh... I'm so torn about this cos i love it so much, but I'm a little scared using it now
cry.gif

panda0410

Well it shouldnt be staining your lids blue... the jar however, is authentic.

I've had several jars of this pigment and never had pink reflects and mine were most certainly authentic, all came from either MAC online or a CCO. Can you take a pic of the sample with the lids next to the jar with lid off so we can compare both piggies hun?

jazm1n3s

I didn't know why they didnt show up. They did yesterday. Oh well, here we go again:

IMG_0406-1.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

Top - Sample
Bottom -Jar

Thanks in advance guys!

panda0410

Ok, I'm stumped. The jar is real. The real Sweet Sienna pigment DOES leech blue dye if exposed to certain substances, but there is no way it should be staining your eyes blue. Did the blue come off your brush by any chance?

There is a marginal difference between the swatches, and I say marginal with caution because minor fluctuations in colour *can* occur in authentic pigments, and there is settling of the content after it has been used and separated which CAN give pigments the appearance of being slightly darker or lighter in separate pots. I noticed this with all of my own pigments after I sampled them out into separate pots, the sampled ones sometimes seemed a shade darker, they arent as densly packed into sample containers and simply dont reflect as much light giving them the appearance of being darker in the pot.

The swatches shown here are reasonably similar, one looks to have been swatched slightly thicker than the other and that will affect the swatch as well.

At this point I really cant distinguish a lot between the two - I dont see any staining on your hands from the swatch and I would reasonably assume that if the jar pigment stained your brush and your eyes then it should also stain your hand. I cant explain why the sample doesnt do it. Its possible you got a fake sample, or a fake pigment that is in a real jar. But TBPHWY, they both look authentic to me.