MAC Vibe Tribe Collection (May 12/19 2016)

LMarie21

Thank you so much for the swatches!
To me the new HC and the old one swatch way too different.
I was thinking of getting it since I missed it the first time around but now that I see it's not exactly like the original looks like I won't get it. The new HC looks like NYX Lala round lipstick. I wonder if someone has that and can compare them.

Most def one is browner than the other - hoping the lip liner will help it look more like the old one lol

lilinah

I'm catching up on this board, so i didn't get into the cultural appropriation issue when it first came up. But i just want to post a couple photos... I could find a lot more and from other cultures, but i hope these two will suffice for anyone who has concerns.
Persian tribal.jpg Romanian traditional.jpg

1. The first rug is tribal... from a Persian tribe. Notice how similar the pattern is to those on the items in this collection.
2. The second rug is Romanian traditional. Notice how similar the pattern is to the Persian one and the pattern on the items in this collection.

My point is tribal vibe... does not have to be Native American - there are tribal groups on every continent except Antarctica. And the patterns on the items is actual not real typical of Navajo weaving - yes, they do use that pattern but there are other patterns that are more typical of Navajo rugs that are quite different. Not to forget that Navajo weaving is done in a particular range of colors unlike that on the packaging.

And other groups around the world weave the same kinds of patterns even without any contact because certain patterns are rather easy to do in a specific weaving technique - and maybe some of it has to do with human neurological wiring.

As for people at summer music festivals wearing "Indian feather headdresses", that seems rather inappropriate to me. But many Native American tribes have adopted those headdresses originally specific to certain Plains tribes, even tho their own tribes had their own headdresses and their tribes are not from the Plains groups.

"Cultural appropriation" goes on constantly when people from different cultures meet and like some of the colors, or food, or patterns, or garments, or architecture, or ceramics, or jewelry, or... whatever... that another culture has. Humans have been doing this for at least 10,000 years and probably longer.

It gets touchy when it has to do with sacred objects, songs, dances, etc. that are taken out of context and used merely as secular decoration or pure entertainment... and yet, i'm sure some people here have listened to medieval Gregorian chants and enjoyed them, even tho they were not in a religious setting and were not Catholic. Is that cultural appropriation?

Last edited:

NATlar

I dont own anything similar to Hot Chocolate so that is on the top of my list. What lip pencil would you ladies recommend to go along with it? Thanks in advance :)

I'd recommend MAC Half Red lip pencil but I wore it with Soar when I tried it on in store before I purchased and it looked pretty but imo half red is a pretty good match!

awickedshape

And the Navajos learned how to make jewelry from Spaniards and Mexicans, so that is a form of cultural appropriation. And the squash blossom was a symbol common to the Pueblo Indians who lived in the southwest long before the Navajo, who speak an Algonquian language - which is found in the northeast of the North American continent - migrated to the Southwest. So the Navajos practiced cultural appropriation as well.

Patterns like those the packages are found in weavings in North Africa and Central Asia.

Borrowing designs like this is not strictly cultural appropriation. And i think calling it such as misunderstanding what cultural appropriation really is.

I'm catching up on this board, so i didn't get into the cultural appropriation issue when it first came up. But i just want to post a couple photos... I could find a lot more and from other cultures, but i hope these two will suffice for anyone who has concerns.
View attachment 54206 View attachment 54205

1. The first rug is tribal... from a Persian tribe. Notice how similar the pattern is to those on the items in this collection.
2. The second rug is Romanian traditional. Notice how similar the pattern is to the Persian one and the pattern on the items in this collection.

My point is tribal vibe... does not have to be Native American - there are tribal groups on every continent except Antarctica. And the patterns on the items is actual not real typical of Navajo weaving - yes, they do use that pattern but there are other patterns that are more typical of Navajo rugs that are quite different. Not to forget that Navajo weaving is done in a particular range of colors unlike that on the packaging.

And other groups around the world weave the same kinds of patterns even without any contact because certain patterns are rather easy to do in a specific weaving technique - and maybe some of it has to do with human neurological wiring.

As for people at summer music festivals wearing "Indian feather headdresses", that seems rather inappropriate to me. But many Native American tribes have adopted those headdresses originally specific to certain Plains tribes, even tho their own tribes had their own headdresses and their tribes are not from the Plains groups.

"Cultural appropriation" goes on constantly when people from different cultures meet and like some of the colors, or food, or patterns, or garments, or architecture, or ceramics, or jewelry, or... whatever... that another culture has. Humans have been doing this for at least 10,000 years and probably longer.

It gets touchy when it has to do with sacred objects, songs, dances, etc. that are taken out of context and used merely as secular decoration or pure entertainment... and yet, i'm sure some people here have listened to medieval Gregorian chants and enjoyed them, even tho they were not in a religious setting and were not Catholic. Is that cultural appropriation?

Very interesting information, thank you

leonah

View attachment 54206 View attachment 54205

I agree with you on this. it doesn't always have to be one-sided. I have a few older persian rugs that are very significant to older history etc and they have those patterns along with others like paisley that have been spread so much from old Persia and used in both the makeup world and fashion world.

LiliV

I'm so ready for this to launch! I think I finally have my list finished too lol my final list is-

-Arrowhead
-Painted Sunset
-Call of the Canyon
-Painted Canyon
-Hot Chocolate
-Blazing Hot

The only one I'm debating is Painted Sunset lipstick, I have so many reds like that (particularly Hibiscus, Sail la Vie, and Steam Heat- although I think that one is a little more red red). It's the type of shade I'm always drawn to and will always buy but I really don't need lol

Odelia

I ended up buying most stuff online at Hudson's. Saves me from a headache on Monday morning while stalking at work! :p

Still have to get Painted Canyon blush (Online only) + a makeup bag. But now I'm not as nervous :)) Yay!

JulieDiva

I ended up buying most stuff online at Hudson's. Saves me from a headache on Monday morning while stalking at work! :p

Still have to get Painted Canyon blush (Online only) + a makeup bag. But now I'm not as nervous :)) Yay!

ME TOO!!!! what did you buy?

Haviggi

I wonder if it will be released here tomorrow as well as the US?
Stores have already the collection in store! At least Åhléns in Skanstull!!!they just cannot sell it yet!Maybe they can though if you want exactly what you want !3 days ago I saw the whole collection in kicks online store but then it disappears some hours later! Still is not there!the SA at Åhléns mentioned smth about 18th of May

Last edited:

VAL4M

Thanks! didn't know it was online at Hudson's I order what was on my wish list! :)

Latest posts