MAC's employee turnover rate

allan_willb

So I have herd that MAC has a serious turnover rate within the company.I know all of the MA's get great pay even when they start off but why do they go through so many employees?What is so bad about this company?Why do people leave?Whats wrong with MAC?​

brandi

yes someone please answer! i know that they need to make a certain quota... or however you spell it! hahaha... at pearls. counter i know one of them has to make 1500 a day! and another is 20,000 a month!! i was like woah! and if you dont meet that quota for three months you could get fired! but thats just what ive heard!

shabdebaz

MAC has a high turnover rate, like you said, WITHIN the company. Just since December, we have had 5 new people at our small counter because of internal movement within MAC, not because of people actually leaving the company. I don't know if it's just like that here in Toronto, or maybe even New York, where they have opportunities for more "head office" and training type jobs, also the production facilities are here in Toronto. A lot of people here move up within the company. Yeah, our daily quotas are pretty high, but we make them! There is also a personal goal for everyone, but as long as someone comes to work and does their best, that is all that is asked of them. So far, it has been a great, low-stress and fun place to work!

professionaltart

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela
How much is the personal goal usually?

the personal goal breakdown takes into consideration how many hours you work, how much you "usually" sell and how long you have been there. Your manager generally hammers it all out for you.

saucipinkbabydoll

At our counter everyone helps everyone, so if you aren't making your goal and someone already did they will ring up for you.So everyone who has made their goal rotates ringing up sales for whoever didn't make their goal capiche?

allan_willb

Wow doll, thats a lot of info to know about the company.I see how some of is now.Thanks for the help.And for anyone else who knows more feel free to add in =)

ms.marymac

*crickets chirping*
lol.gif

MACgirl

its from within the company, a promotion. people who would leave is beucase of scheduling conflicts with thier personal life, in this case most become freelancers.

Lo-Fi_Thriller

when iworked at nordstroms for MAC i had to sell 250 a hour, there was weekly goals and you had to do "dialing for dollars"

MAC_Whore

A person's sales goal is diff for every counter. It basically comes down to a store's financial goal. What that store must sell to make the money needed to be a financial success. It is the same basic financial model that most retail companies use. I.e. what you need to make per hour mult by the hours you are working.

MAC tracks your sales in dollar amounts and they used to track items sold per transaction (not sure if they still do). If you don't measure up, they can fire you. Also, don't count on other MAs giving you sales if they have met their goal and you haven't . MAC considers that fraud and will fire people over it. Sorry, don't mean to be blunt here, but they take it seriously.

MAC does seem to have a high turn over rate, but that is probably due to a few reasons:

-They seem to really stick to the goal thing.
-You are usually always working on weekends (esp Sat).
-MAC expects performance and lets face it, there are a lot of lazy people in this world.
-Ultimately, MAC is a retail job and historically retail has higher turnover than a lot of other businesses.

Hope that helps.

angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo-Fi_Thriller
when iworked at nordstroms for MAC i had to sell 250 a hour, there was weekly goals and you had to do "dialing for dollars"

250 an hour! wow! is that hard to do? and what's dialing for dollars?

allan_willb

It seems to me that this job is mostly about how much make up you can sell.And if you can make your daily/weekly goals and so forth.Hmmmm interesting.So are there MA's out there who do a bad job on make up/make overs but sell lots and lots of make up?Does mac keep you if sell sell and sell?Like who cares about everything else???

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
It seems to me that this job is mostly about how much make up you can sell.And if you can make your daily/weekly goals and so forth.Hmmmm interesting.So are there MA's out there who do a bad job on make up/make overs but sell lots and lots of make up?Does mac keep you if sell sell and sell?Like who cares about everything else???

Sales is a huge part of it. I mean, your position title is makeup artist, but ultimately, you are a salesperson. MAC is a business and they want you to produce. The perk is that you are selling a fun product and get some great benefits.

In theory, those with the most artistry skills would seem to be the ones who make the most sales, but that's not always the case. A lot comes down to product knowledge, ability to multi-task, personality and professionalism. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time to do a full makeover on everyone, so you have to employ those other skills, rather than just your ability to apply makeup. I've seen a lot of really talented makeup artists who get so flustered at the counter, because they don't have those other skills.

I_Love_Buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandi
yes someone please answer! i know that they need to make a certain quota... or however you spell it! hahaha... at pearls. counter i know one of them has to make 1500 a day! and another is 20,000 a month!! i was like woah! and if you dont meet that quota for three months you could get fired! but thats just what ive heard!

i heard the same thing:

my friend who used to work for MAC stand alone store said, it's not really about makeup skills, Of course you have to know how to apply good makeup, (she doesnt even know how to apply dramatic makeup!) but it's more about selling the products, how to pitch the sales to customers or potential customers, at the end she said thats what matters..salary is o.k she said slightly above minimum wages + the commissions. And she said she's pressured to meet the minimum requirement (sales) and hated when people come in tried the products and at the end said "oh i was just looking around, still thinking what to buy". LOL

I_Love_Buffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_willb
So are there MA's out there who do a bad job on make up/make overs but sell lots and lots of make up?Does mac keep you if sell sell and sell?Like who cares about everything else???

YES my friend, lol
smiles.gif
smiles.gif
Until she got tired with the pressures and left the company. hahahaha. She didnt even know how to apply a dramatic makeup!! Basic glamour makeup, yeah she knew. But she's good at talking and selling makeup. She said it's all about selling the makeup and some people had fun doing both put makeup on themselves and customers and selling at the same time. She, at that time was concerntrating on selling. She said it was a waste of her time if she spent half to an hour to do a makeup on a girl, but that girl just bought $35 worth of item when she could spend 1 hour to sell lots of products. I mean my friend is a nice girl but back then she cared alot about selling and meet the quota so she won't get fired.

pinkfeet

Retail - that says it all.

I cant tell you how many of my friends complain to me about working there, they thought it would be so much better on the "other side " ( vs working at Clinique or Estee or Lancome ) and while some bennies are better its still the same, you have to book, do makeover, deal with bitchy clients, teenage girls who come with - can you do my eyes? and buy nothing but take up tons of time, clean all day, work crap hours and esp at holiday times and depending on your location it can be til 11 or 12am!

And it is about selling, not always about makeup, you have to sell more than one item, you have to link and bridge the sale, the brushes, the skincare, the new stuff, etc etc. and put on a whole bunch of foundation on someone for an hour and they still hate it. Its not glamourous at all, not even at mac unless maybe your doing runway and even then I am sure the models are bitchy.

And your sales goals well, sometimes you will do anything to meet them, your managers riding your ass, some days are awesome, some are bad. Sure a lot of your co-workers will help - and then you always have the ones that dont, the ones that create drama. There is one at every counter. For some reason they get away it and they stay there for 20 years too.

Latest posts