Mac's Exclusive Partnership With Ruffian

LostinBubbles

MAC'S EXCLUSIVE PARTNERSHIP WITH RUFFIAN
MAC has paired up with New York design duo, Ruffian to create MAC Lipstick in Ruffian Red, an amplified lipstick in a bright yellow-red hue. "The shade truly captures the Franco-American Allure of our Fall 2009 collection," says Ruffian designer Brian Wolk. It was inspired by a red lacquer 18th century Chinese vase in the home of Ruffian friend and muse, Antonia Thompson. Wolk says, "Ruffian Red will not only appear on our girls lips, but will find its way into our collection, and other secret surprises as well!!" Only 500 of this one-of-a-kind Lipstick exist - it cannot be purchased and is available only to a select group of trend setters and members of the press attending the Ruffian F/W '09 show.

**Credit/Details provided by PR Newswire
Original article

ruffian.jpg
th_drool.gif

Makeup artist James Kaliardos created this deceptively simple look with Ruffian Red
**Credit to BellaSugar
--------------------------------------------

That's a HOT red!! I need it!
Me getting 1 in 500....doubtful
cry.gif

BunnyBunnyBunny

Thanks for the info. I bet the only one on this board to acquire one will be Jen, MAC_Whore!!!
greengrin.gif
And this time SHE BETTER TAKE PIX WEARING IT. Lots!

abbyquack

Ughh that's so lame "a select group of trendsetters" - who, Paris Hilton? That sounds way too eliteish for me.
thmbdn.gif
Yes, I'm jealous.

blinkymei

Lilan from dailycookie.net has it and it looks lovely on her too, I would like to own one as well but I know it will be very impossible

Roxie

Okay, seriously, what is the point of stuff like this? I'm not seeing the greater good here. Only 500 lipsticks produced, all of which will be handed out to a small percentage of the uber-elite New York Fashion Week crowd.

So, what exactly does this do for the other 99.999% of the population out there? This isn't even a super-LE-collection like DressCamp or Manish Arora, where yes, it's an insanely small Limited Edition collection but still one that is up for grabs to the lucky few who can get on-line or to a store fast enough to snag it and creates TONS of buzz.

This serves no useful purpose for the M.A.C fan whatsoever, and most certainly none at all for the average consumer. Even the press release for it seems utterly pointless - "Hey, we're making a really pretty and rare lipstick that you're all going to want, but guess what? None of you will ever stand a chance at getting your hands on one because there's only 500 of 'em and we ain't gonna sell 'em!".

Ooookey. Bully for you and the 500 people that walk away with a red lipstick. How does that actually generate any positive interest in your makeup line?

BunnyBunnyBunny

I think it's more of a supporting-fashion-week-and-a-publicity-stunt-in-one type of thing. Like yes it is an exclusive exclusive lipstick that is only available to the "in" crowd. But this type of hype is what fuels most MAC collections. This is how Hello Kitty, and California Dreamin' is supposed to feel. Super exclusive, and you feel like you're 'part of the know' and the in crowd when you get a piece of it. I think this Ruffian Red lipstick is meant to further fuel people's desires for limited, and since people can't get this, they'll get anything else 'exclusive' they can? I'm not sure. That's just how it sounds to me.

Septemba

Similiar to what they did with California Dreamin', does anyone know how many they released of those? MAC is the King of publicity.
lol.gif

It is somewhat annoying but less so when you consider the selection of beautiful reds MAC already has on perm. It looks like a pretty red but I'm not wetting myself.

panda0410

^^haha, someone with some sensibility
winks.gif
I need another red like a hole in the head and I am not lemming this one either
smiles.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie
Okay, seriously, what is the point of stuff like this? I'm not seeing the greater good here. Only 500 lipsticks produced, all of which will be handed out to a small percentage of the uber-elite New York Fashion Week crowd.

So, what exactly does this do for the other 99.999% of the population out there? This isn't even a super-LE-collection like DressCamp or Manish Arora, where yes, it's an insanely small Limited Edition collection but still one that is up for grabs to the lucky few who can get on-line or to a store fast enough to snag it and creates TONS of buzz.

This serves no useful purpose for the M.A.C fan whatsoever, and most certainly none at all for the average consumer. Even the press release for it seems utterly pointless - "Hey, we're making a really pretty and rare lipstick that you're all going to want, but guess what? None of you will ever stand a chance at getting your hands on one because there's only 500 of 'em and we ain't gonna sell 'em!".

Ooookey. Bully for you and the 500 people that walk away with a red lipstick. How does that actually generate any positive interest in your makeup line?

25q4s9k.jpg

Divinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousmuffins
The collector in me wants this, but the sensible side of me says it just looks like another red.

werd...

MAC_Whore

When I first heard about the Ruffian Red LS (it was outside of any mention of the Ruffian show), I thought it was a typo and should have been "Russian Red". lol

Roxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
25q4s9k.jpg

LMAO
lol.gif
That’s awesome. I gotta swipe that pic for future use.

Sorry if it sounded like I was whining. Chalk it up to being in a bad mood and having grown quite tired already of the CS/silica drama all over the net.

Frankly this doesn’t affect me one way or the other. I just honestly do wonder what the point is in announcing such a limited item that will not even be available to consumers. Just all a part of the hype machine I suppose.

xxManBeaterxx

*Shrugs* From the topic title i thought this was some sort of huge/anticipated collection mac was coming out with next...

MACLovin

Ok so.. there has to be a dupe available from the permanent line, no?

It can't be that exclusive of a shade that there's nothing like it. Does MAC not have numerous yellow-based reds?

I'm not sweating it though, shades like this do nothing for me.. they wash me out and make me look like I have jaundice or something.

ohnna-lee

pssh! I just want it because I can't have it.
finger.gif

never mind the fact it is like THE perfect starlet red color