Make Up alley netiquette??

vloky

This isn't really mac or specktra related, however I know many of you ladies are also members of mua. When someone wants to swap with me but has nothing of interest to me, should I reply with an email saying, no I'm not interested you have nothing I want? Or, thanks for you're interest but I don't want anything you have????

Is it ok to just ignore the messages?? How do I go about this? I don't want to be rude when I'm new. Thanks.

Juneplum

when in doubt, just go with the truth =) a simple reply that says thanks for your interest, but at this time i'm really only looking for items on my swaplist! don't ignore the messages tho cos someday that person just may have something that you want! that, and it;s a bit rude =)

vloky

K, thanks.
smiles.gif

Hawkeye

yeah dont ignore the messages people get pissed if you do for some reason. *rolls eyes* I mean i know they want to know but seriously after 2 days of no reply you know the answer is no.

I personally dont see the big deal but what do i know?

vloky

And what if you were away from the computer for an extended period of time and couldn't reply even if you wanted to?? seems kind of silly to get upset if you don't respond immediately.

jess98765

ohhh i hate it when people don't reply or anything. it really ticks me off cos it's not difficult just to say 'no, sorry i'm not interested' or something like that. it takes like 3 seconds (literally). So yea, please reply as it shows kind curitsy and it makes other people stop being so anxious waiting to see if your interested or not
smiles.gif

Hawkeye

i dunno i guess they just have to deal with it. maybe try to e-mail as soon as you can.

yeah it really makes people mad if you don't.

me-i could care less. others it just really makes them mad.

exodus

I'm only new to MUA but I've had it happen three times already when I offered to swap an item (from their wishlist too!) and a few hours later someone else asks to swap with the same items I offered. Then I tell the person who offered that I offered that item to swap with another person and that I was waiting for the other person to respond one way or the other, so if the first one falls through, I can go ahead with the second one. Twice the person I offered to swap with just ignored me for days, so it was really annoying because I had to keep telling the second person that the first person hadn't yet responded to me. I wish they'd just say "No thanks", maybe it sounds rude, but it's not quite as rude as not responding at all.

Hawkeye

Well if they ignore you then go ahead and swap. That's what I've done in the past. I mean it's really a first come first serve basis to me. Like if I offer someone to swap something and get no response and then I talk to the other person who responds I go ahead with that swap. I mean you snooze you loose lol

But a simple no thanks is appropriete for this.
smiles.gif

Janice

I have a "form" letter I send to people who don't have anything on their list I am interested in. It politely declines the swap and lets them know I am interested in swapping with them in the future. The form letter takes off the pressure to be super nice to people who don't have anything that tempts me.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
I have a "form" letter I send to people who don't have anything on their list I am interested in. It politely declines the swap and lets them know I am interested in swapping with them in the future. The form letter takes off the pressure to be super nice to people who don't have anything that tempts me.

I agree with this. By letting them know you are not interested in a certain swap but you do look foward to a possible future swap for another item this takes the pressure off while allowing you to keep things open for the future just incase this person happens to have something you might like later on.

If you are going to be away from swapping say for several days I would just note that on your notepad. You could also note something like please give me 3 days to respond to all request or something like that. This way for those that like a respose right away they will know how long to wait before requesting the item from someone else.

lilMAmom

I just say (ro)

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately I don't see anything on your list that I need right now. I hope we get a chance to swap in the future
smiles.gif