Makeup and clothing for counter job :)

trojanpopcorn

Sooooo, WOOOOOOOOOOO I have my first shift at the Estee Lauder counter this tuesday. Because my uniform hasn't arrived yet I have to wear black pants and a black top. So my questions are;

1. Is there a policy about heels? I would like to wear black heels or is that not safe, or are flats not glam enough.... this wasn't mentioned at all.

2. How much makeup can I realistically wear? And can my hair be worn down? The women at the counter are all very tan and brunette and they are older than me so our look will be quite different. What I mean is, can I wear colourful eyes or no?

3. Finally, will they expect me to wear EL products? I presume yes but I don't own any and I can't afford to splash out until I get paid. Shall I just where whatever til then?

Ok Thanks!
smiles.gif

glam8babe

well im no expert as im only 17 lol but here goes:

1. i think heels will be fine! they look smarter than flats and all the makeup counters here have loads of workers who wear heels and like to doll up

2. well i think you can wear as much as you want! again.. at the makeup counters here theres girls who wear tonnes of makeup iv never seen one that hasnt worn any at all

3. probably yes but because u just started working there i dont think they'd care. Go on the EL website and look at colours and maybe wear similar colours and say to customers "ohh this e/s is so n so" and show them a colour similar.. they'll never know! lol

hope i helped
smiles.gif

VioletB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanpopcorn
Sooooo, WOOOOOOOOOOO I have my first shift at the Estee Lauder counter this tuesday. Because my uniform hasn't arrived yet I have to wear black pants and a black top. So my questions are;

1. Is there a policy about heels? I would like to wear black heels or is that not safe, or are flats not glam enough.... this wasn't mentioned at all.

Wear heels.. just make sure they are comfortable. You will be on your feet ALL day!! I wear heels if I have like a five hour shift. If I have an 8 or 9 hour shift I wear flats. Also keep in mind that you have to do a lot of bending and lifting.. (stock and all that) sometimes heels are not fun for all that movement. It's ok if you don't look completely "glam" I've noticed not many people care about your shoes, they just want a lipgloss color!!
smiles.gif

Quote:
2. How much makeup can I realistically wear? And can my hair be worn down? The women at the counter are all very tan and brunette and they are older than me so our look will be quite different. What I mean is, can I wear colourful eyes or no?

Wear whatever you want! Just be prepared to "substitute" it with an Estee Lauder color. If someone asks you what you are wearing, you want to be able to sell them an eyeshadow, not have them leave to go to the MAC counter. Yes, your hair can be worn down. The only company that really has standards on that is Clinique, their hair is supposed to be kept up and off their face. Just make sure you look professional. Variety at a counter is good. You want to show that a younger clintele can wear Estee Lauder.. it is ok, you will just compliment your coworkers and show off the brand.
smiles.gif

Quote:
3. Finally, will they expect me to wear EL products? I presume yes but I don't own any and I can't afford to splash out until I get paid. Shall I just where whatever til then?

Like I said, just be prepared to substitute an EL product for something you may be wearing. Like you probably can't get away with glitter liners, but similar shadows and lipsticks will do.
smiles.gif
Don't worry about buying much now, you will get gratis in the next little while and you will be able to get some stuff then. You can also dram yourself some foundations and maybe find some samples that your counter may have to keep you at bay for now.
smiles.gif

Congratulations, welcome to the Estee Lauder family!!

trojanpopcorn

Thanks for the answers, kristen you are SOOO helpful!!

So I got some like 3inch heels (I can walk in any heel so its cool) and some black pants until I get my workwear. I won't have to worry about full day shifts as I think I'm working 4 hours slots...

I will wear my hair down tomorrow I think, but clipped back. GOSH I AM EXCITED. And I am going to start learning all the EL colours now so I know a bit tomorrow.

kristen thanks for alllllll your help, im going to pm you and let you know how it goes
smiles.gif

VioletB

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, kristen you are SOOO helpful!!

So I got some like 3inch heels (I can walk in any heel so its cool) and some black pants until I get my workwear. I won't have to worry about full day shifts as I think I'm working 4 hours slots...

I will wear my hair down tomorrow I think, but clipped back. GOSH I AM EXCITED. And I am going to start learning all the EL colours now so I know a bit tomorrow.

kristen thanks for alllllll your help, im going to pm you and let you know how it goes
smiles.gif

You are so welcome!! I am excited to hear about your first day!!!
smiles.gif

miinx

Quote:

Ok Thanks!
smiles.gif

As far as shoes.. you can do either flats or heels, just make sure you are comfortable in them! Trust me, I have ALOT of shoes I thought were crazy comfy until I did a 6-8 hour shift at the counter in them! What alot of us do is wear heels into work and keep a pair of cute ballerina flats stashed away for when our feet start aching. It really helps to switch it up between the flats and heels for my feet every couple hours anyways. I personally have really high arches, so flats kill me just as bad as heels after a few hours. I usually stick to kitten heels and wedges with dr scholls gel inserts. Most counters are fine with wearing your hair down as long as its neat and well styled. As far as makeup, you can do anything you want so long as you can find an equivalent Estee Lauder product. Remember that customers are going to ask you what you're wearing and want the look that you have, so you need to be able to sell it to them with your line! They will tell you that they want you to wear EL products, but I find that it isnt really nessesary. Again, just make sure you wear colors and looks that are similar to things EL sells. You'll get gratis soon so dont worry about buying a bunch of stuff unless you really love it. Also don't feel shy about dramming yourself some foundations and other products to test out - its SO much easier to sell things you've actually tried and tested on yourself!

giz2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Please understand, that walking in a heel and standing all day in a heel is so different. LOL

I so totally agree.....
ssad.gif

MissMarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Please understand, that walking in a heel and standing all day in a heel is so different. LOL

Word. Heels used to be my friends...but now I can't stand them. I live in my Puma faux-snakeskin mary janes now.