Makeup and mineral sunscreen

kathyp

I can't really tolerate chemical sunscreens, so under my makeup I've been wearing Neutrogena's Sensitive Skin (or Blue Lizard when I can find it). Problem is the blueish white cast it leaves on my skin. I skip liquid foundation in the summer, topping my sunscreen with powder instead. My usual NW15 or N3 Studiofix looks almost too vampirish over my sunscreen, though on bare skin, it still looks fine. Is it a bad idea to pick up a powder in NC15 just to "warm things up?" I hate the way bronzer looks on my skin, and the next shade up, NW20 looks red on me.

ForgetRegret

Hmm...the powder idea might work for you...but have you tried Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral SPF30? It's a powder, so maybe it wouldn't give you such a pale look..? It seems to go on without leaving any white or blue cast...

kathyp

I've thought about using a powder sunscreen, but at $30 a pop, I'd probably be too skimpy with it, defeating the purpose. (One of the reasons I quite wearing BE).

There really aren't that many affordable titanium/zinc based sunscreens that wear well under makeup. I was wearing City Block for a while, but I have the opposite problem with it: instead of being too white, the tint is too dark. (And it stains.)

gildedangel

What makes you hate bronzer? Are most bronzers too dark for you? (I have that problem). If that is the case you could get a matte light/medium brown blush so that you can warm up you face without looking like you dusted dirt on your face (I hate that!).
You could also look into moisturizers that contain SPF as well for an extra boost of sun protection power!

ForgetRegret

Oh wait, I just thought of it! Have you tried Juice Beauty? They've got tinted moisturizers as well as non-tinted ones with SPF in them, and they're all organic-y and natural. I used to use the tinted moisturizer, and it actually worked really well. It might be worth your time to sample it if you're near a Sephora.
smiles.gif

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildedangel
What makes you hate bronzer? Are most bronzers too dark for you? (I have that problem). If that is the case you could get a matte light/medium brown blush so that you can warm up you face without looking like you dusted dirt on your face (I hate that!).
You could also look into moisturizers that contain SPF as well for an extra boost of sun protection power!

That they're dark, a lot of them tend to be orange and sparkly which looks terrible on my dry sky. I used to use Harmony (with a light hand) as a bronzer when I had a bit of a tan, but now it's too dark.

kathyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
Oh wait, I just thought of it! Have you tried Juice Beauty? They've got tinted moisturizers as well as non-tinted ones with SPF in them, and they're all organic-y and natural. I used to use the tinted moisturizer, and it actually worked really well. It might be worth your time to sample it if you're near a Sephora.
smiles.gif

I'll check these out next time I'm at Whole Foods, which also carries Juice.

I think I might have to go with a warmer powder anyway. I have BE in Fairly Light, which is a tad yellower than my natural skin, and it did a pretty good job of making things look a bit more human and less morticia. (Save for the fact I hate BE in the summer.)