Makeup and strong florescent lighting.

venacava

I wonder if anyone has this same problem: I put on m/u in the morning, it looks fine and even at home, in natural light etc… but as soon as I step under strong florescent lights (specifically, like the ones in MAC counter/store) my makeup looks too pale and, on some days, blotchy. What am I doing wrong? :|

glittergoddess27

Hmm,.. I know that flourescent lights are unforgiving,..but I do know it does make brighter colors pop,..and a lot of the MA's generally wear the brighter stuff,..so are you wearing neutrals? I wear brighter colors and don't normally find that the MAC store lights or work lights change it? Just wondering if that had anything to do with it??

as_cute_as_pie

definatley the lighting
i have that problem where i work in the ladies lockers there is a long horizontal mirror used to apply make up with flourscent lights that i look awful in lol but in the actual bathroom area the lights are much softer like candlelight hah its like hey i look good
tong.gif

forgot to add that like if make up is being used to apply at the counter maybe more is added to fit in with the lights but could look terribly bad outside
you've all seen the make up girls (not specifically mac) applying make up at work and wearin LOADS of it
smiles.gif
obv this is not all of them
just a observation

dentaldee

I hate florescent lights......I look great at home and crappy all day at work!!! I think the whole world should have a dimmer switch!!

lara

Generally it's because fluorescents are strongly blue-based or 'bright white' (white-blue). If you're wearing any cool (blue- or pink-based) make-up, it'll accent that cool undertone and wash you out. You can counteract it by adding a bit of warm-based make-up into your look - a warm blush or lipstick can lift and warm your whole face.
smiles.gif

venacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by glittergoddess27
Hmm,.. I know that flourescent lights are unforgiving,..but I do know it does make brighter colors pop,..and a lot of the MA's generally wear the brighter stuff,..so are you wearing neutrals? I wear brighter colors and don't normally find that the MAC store lights or work lights change it? Just wondering if that had anything to do with it??

I don’t wear much bright colors on most days, not even eyeshadow. *hangs head* The only ‘color’ worn on the day I hopped over to MAC was a very very light application of Sweet William but the result was horribly garish. In addition the light also made my face appear really pale (like a tyro who can’t pick a matching foundation) and flat. Eek!

venacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_cute_as_pie
definatley the lighting
i have that problem where i work in the ladies lockers there is a long horizontal mirror used to apply make up with flourscent lights that i look awful in lol but in the actual bathroom area the lights are much softer like candlelight hah its like hey i look good
tong.gif

forgot to add that like if make up is being used to apply at the counter maybe more is added to fit in with the lights but could look terribly bad outside
you've all seen the make up girls (not specifically mac) applying make up at work and wearin LOADS of it
smiles.gif
obv this is not all of them
just a observation

I’m starting to wonder if I should rip out the original light setting around the bathroom mirror and install fluorescent ones instead! This way I’d at least look normal around places with similar lighting instead of wanting to crawl into a hole every time I catch a fleeting glance of myself in a mirror.
smiles.gif

dmenchi

I think you should alway apply makeup in the same light your planning on wearing it- it really helps.All the other 'counter active techniques' make you still look bad in some percentage of the time and also they are more used in photographs and media. I believe in keeping it simple for everyday. You can buy differnt lightbulbs and use natural light if you need it
smiles.gif

courters

I have the same problem with the lighting in public restrooms - I always look like death warmed over in there!! Unfortunately, I can't tell if it's just the lighting or if I actually look bad, because that's the only place with a mirror.
ssad.gif

enviable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaldee
I hate florescent lights......I look great at home and crappy all day at work!!! I think the whole world should have a dimmer switch!!

thats exactly how i feel. I look horrible the moment i step out of the house compared to inside...

shudecay

You should get a lighted mirror, I have one of those and it pretty much solved that issue for me...get one with adjustable light settings like day, evening, work, outdoors and whatnot. Mine was like $30 from conair. I'm really glad I got it...uhg. Florescent lighting does suck..

melliquor

I have actually never noticed that. I do have different lighting in my bathroom and room. I always check the bathroom to see what it looks like before I leave the house. My mirror in my bedroom is really bright.

Latest posts