Makeup Application

PrettyDolledUp

Hi Everyone! I'm not too sure if there's a thread about this...I've tried searching, but nothing in particular came up.

Anyways, I wanted to get feedback on how you girls apply your makeup, step by step. I've read a couple of threads saying that they apply their eye makeup first and then their foundation, powder, blush, then finally the lips. And also, I wanted to know in what order do you apply the eyeshadow, liner, mascara??

This is the exact steps that I do...I'm not sure if anyone does it the same way that I do...but here are my steps:

1. Apply my moisturizer, then I apply the Studio Fix Foundation NC-40 all over my face. On top of that, I apply my Studio Fix Powder C-4.

2. I sketch in my eyebrows with Browzings from Benefit.

3. Then I apply the prep + prime, then the paint for a base all over my lid. I then apply the Highlight colored eyeshadow on my brow. Then I apply a medium colored eyeshadow on my crease, followed by a lighter color all over my lid, then the darkest color in the outer corner blending all the way up to my crease. (I have small eyes, so I have to make one up...lol).

4. I clean any excess eyeshadow around my eyes and face, then I apply my eyeliner, which is fluidline. Then I curl my lashes then apply mascara.

5. I apply blush and then lastly I apply Lipstick/Lipglass.

So basically I work from TOP to BOTTOM. BUT I always sketch in my eyebrows first before I start on my eyes.

BUT AT OTHER TIMES, I would start from BOTTOM to TOP (of course my eyebrows would be sketched in before this). So I'd start my eyeshadows with the lightest color all over my lid, then a medium color to my crease, then the darkest color from the outer corner up to my crease, and then to my brow bone. Then comes eyeliner, Mascara...and so on....

Anyways, I wanted to know...is there a certain way to apply makeup by MAC standards, or does it really depend on the MUA? And is there any advice that you girls can give me? I haven't tried finishing with my eyes first and then applying foundation...Any responses would be great! BTW, I'll be doing my first FOTD as soon as I find extra time. Thanks!
smiles.gif

thelove4tequila

I think people do what is best for them. There is no standard as far as I'm concerned. Your routine is very similar to mine. I usually moisturize, add primer, apply foundation, concealer, UDPP, eyeshadow, highlighter (last), brows, eyeliner, blush, contour/hightlight, lips, then mascara last. haha.

I always do mascara last because I usually can't decide if I want to apply false lashes or mascara til the last minute. Kinda weird I guess?

I know alot of girls do foundation last because of eyeshadow fallout. Very good idea but it just doesn't work for me! I don't know why, I usually don't have alot of fallout out anyways so applying foundation first is fine for me.

Obreathemykiss

I do my m/u in this order:
Moisturize
Concealer
Foundation
Touch up concealer if needed
Shadow primer
Loose powder for fallout
Shadow
Blend (I'm still learning)
Liner
Blend in loose powder
Highlight
Blush
Mascara
Brows
Powder where necessary
Lipgloss/stick

.:jinx:.

moisturizer
eyeshadow
eyeliner
mascara
foundation--though i usually dont wear any
contouring
blush
lips

CoConutNwuT

1st i start with a clean face

moisturize
primer
udpp
conceal dark circles
eyeliner
shade brows
eyeshadow
conceal my face
set with powder
sculpt n shape
blush
mascara
lip liner
lipstick
lip gloss
fix+

PrettyDolledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelove4tequila

I know alot of girls do foundation last because of eyeshadow fallout. Very good idea but it just doesn't work for me! I don't know why, I usually don't have alot of fallout out anyways so applying foundation first is fine for me.

Same here! I always apply foundation first, even on my clients and I just clean it up afterwards in case there's any fall out.

FiestyFemme

1. After my skincare routine is done, while my moisturizer and eye cream finish soaking in, I apply UD PP.

2. Then I apply undereye concealer, mineral foundation, and conceal any spots on my face with mineral concealer.

3. Brush/fill in my brows with brow wax.

4. Start eyeshadow. I always do the lid color first, then crease, outer corners/"V", highlight.

5. Line my eyes, curl lashes, apply mascara.

6. Clean up any fall out.

7. Apply blush and highlighter.

8. Apply lipstick/gloss.

mistella

I do foundation first.. i feel like skin is the most important so when my "canvas" is clean and even-toned, it makes focusing on eyeshadow easier. then a primer on eyelids, powder,
contour
bronzer
eyebrows
eyeshadows
brows
mascara
liner
blush
highlighter
lips

chocolategoddes

Try looking at the tutorials.

Me personally:
concealer
foundation
any contour with darker foundation
eyeshadow
liner
mascara/false lashes
brows
blush
highlight (cheeks and maybe nose if it's lookin fat that day :\)
lip liner
lipstick
lipgloss

thats when i'm really steppin it up in to glam mode.
but everyday think is eyeshadow, mscara, blush, and chapstick. lol

Lizzie

It really depends on what I'm going for. If I'm doing a really dramatic eyeshadow look, I do the eyeshadow first (mostly because of fall out [esp if I'm using loose eyeshadow, pigments, or anything with glitter]) other than that I do foundation first and then I do my lips.

The reason for this is because I find that if I do the focal point first, it's easier to make sure that everything else isn't too bold.

For example, I'd do lipstick first (after moisturizer, foundation, all the usual face stuff) if I was wearing a bright color so that I wont over do it on the eyes.

user79

My order of preference:

moisturize
foundation primer (sometimes I leave this out)
concealer
foundation
setting powder
eyeshadow primer
eyeshadows
eyeliner
mascara
brow definition
blush / cheek highlight / cheek contour / bronzer (depending on what I want)
lips (liner, lipstick, gloss)

Paramnesia

This is my routine:

Moisturize
Eye shadow base (paint pot)
Shadow
Liner
Mascara
Prep + Prime Face
Concealor
(Foundation if I had one)
Loose powder
Blush (and more loose powder if needed to tone down the blush)
Vaseline for lips

I think thats it.

Shadowy Lady

my routine:

Moisturizer
lipbalm
e/s base
e/s's (lid, highlight, crease, deep crease)
liner
mascara
brows
foundation
blush
l/s
l/g

I'm kinda random in my routine
smiles.gif

boudoirblonde

I do eyes first. I USED to have huge problems with fall out, now I only seem to if I do my foundation first, LOL

I do
prep+prime eye
shadows
highlight
eyeliner
mascara
studio fix powder
blush
highlight cheekbones
lipblam
lipstick
gloss

TDoll

I do my face first...always worked for me! I just make sure to tap the excess off my e/s brushes really well and dust some loose powder under my eye area if I'm doing lots of dark e/s...then after you finish your eyes, dust it off! Works everytime...

What I do:

Prep+Prime skin base
Concealer, then Studio Fix Powder , Blot Powder
or
Studio Fix Fluid, then Concealer, then Blot Powder
Eyeshadow
Eyeliner
Mascara
Eyebrows pencil/ Clear Brow Gel
Bronzer
Blush
Lipstick
Lipgloss

blindpassion

Heres the order that I do my full-face makeup in
smiles.gif

1.use cleanser, toner, lotion, moisterizer on my face and use lip conditioner(let soak in)
2. UDPP on my eyes
3. Eyeshadow, lid, crease, highlight colors.
4. Eyeliner
5. MAC prep and prime for skin with a 190 brush (give two minutes to set in)
6. Studio Fix Fluid with a 109 brush
7. Studio Fix Powder with a 187
8. Buff with 182
9. FIX+!!
smiles.gif

10. Blush, contour, highlight
11. Eyebrow fill in with MAC mystery eyeshadow
12. MASCARAAA
13. Lipstick
14. lipgloss
15. one more spray of fix plus
smiles.gif

This is my full-face makeup, some days Ill just use concealer, blush, and curl my eyelashes and use gloss.

Latest posts