Makeup Brushes?? (Which Hair Type?)

doniad101

How do I tell which brush hairs are right for me/softest? I didnt really pay attention to the brush hair type, but now I am and I'm tired of scratchy brushes
ssad.gif

I was checking different hairs for brushes, and I came across: Badger, Sable, Squirrel, Synthetic, goat and human hair?..right.

Well I'm looking for a fluffy powder brush but dont know which hairs will get stratchy as the time goes by.

One brush I paid a lot for is starting to become scratchy. I bought the MAC 182. It was soft at first, but after a couple of washes, it began to get scratchy against my skin. I believe that brush is made of Squirrel hair. However when I went to Sephora a while back, I tried their Professional Natural Rounded Powder brush which is also made of squirrel hair and it did feel scratchy, however I am afraid that after I wash it a few times, it will become scratchy
ssad.gif

Which brush hairs do you like or would recommend that I try out that wont become as scratchy?

Thank you so much!
clap.gif

Shawna

I am pretty sure the 182 is made from goat hair. What are you washing it with? I wash mine every couple of weeks and it is as soft as the day I got it. I use very gentle baby shampoo. However, when I use actual brush cleaner, I find my brushes dry out and become scratchy. I find that my brushes all stay soft and fluffy as long as I use the baby shampoo/conditioner.

doniad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I am pretty sure the 182 is made from goat hair. What are you washing it with? I wash mine every couple of weeks and it is as soft as the day I got it. I use very gentle baby shampoo. However, when I use actual brush cleaner, I find my brushes dry out and become scratchy. I find that my brushes all stay soft and fluffy as long as I use the baby shampoo/conditioner.

Yeah, i rechecked the site and it said it was made from goat hair. I am using Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo. I dont use regular brush cleaner like MAC or Smashbox etc. I use Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo around once a week, or once every two weeks, depending on my schedule.

Thanks for your help!!!
thmbup.gif

Shawna

It's strange that you are using baby shampoo and it's making the brushes scratchy. Are you rinsing out the brush really really well? I have trouble getting all the soap out of mine sometimes and then it gets kind of sticky. I wouldn't recommend brush cleaner though. I just hate what it does to my brushes
ssad.gif
I use Loreal for kids/babies shampoo/conditioner in the lavendar scent and haven't had a problem with it at all. Plus the brushes smell wonderful now instead of like a stinky goat.

doniad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
It's strange that you are using baby shampoo and it's making the brushes scratchy. Are you rinsing out the brush really really well? I have trouble getting all the soap out of mine sometimes and then it gets kind of sticky. I wouldn't recommend brush cleaner though. I just hate what it does to my brushes
ssad.gif
I use Loreal for kids/babies shampoo/conditioner in the lavendar scent and haven't had a problem with it at all. Plus the brushes smell wonderful now instead of like a stinky goat.

I know, I had never had this problem before. I have always used baby shampoo on all of my brushes
weeping.gif
Maybe I got a bad one in the bunch.

I hope I'm rinsing it out enough. I think I am. I make sure it gets deep down in the bristles...if thats enough
hmm.gif

I hadnt tried the Loreal one, I love the smell of lavender
smiles.gif

july

Hey
Try to wash with shampoo and after that with hair conditioner .
I do it twice a month and all of my brushes are really soft even the Synthetic ones.

Hope I helped you ...

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by doniad101
I know, I had never had this problem before. I have always used baby shampoo on all of my brushes
weeping.gif
Maybe I got a bad one in the bunch.

I hope I'm rinsing it out enough. I think I am. I make sure it gets deep down in the bristles...if thats enough
hmm.gif

I hadnt tried the Loreal one, I love the smell of lavender
smiles.gif

The 182 is a bit of bitch to clean. The only way I've found of totally getting all the soap out is to turn the brush bristle-up right underneath a stream of lukewarm water. I know that's said to be bad for the ferrule, but because it's such a dense brush, the soap just doesn't come out all the way by rinsing sideways only. Just make sure at the end to "swing out" as much water as you can with quick, forceful shakes, and squeeze the hairs gently. Then lay on the side, or better yet, standing up on its bristles to dry. That way the water will run out from the inner core as best as possible. I've had my brush for years and always cleaned it this way, so far the ferrule is a-ok.

You could also try actually rinsing it with a bit of hair conditioner every now and then, that should make the bristles nice and soft again.

Weird, the 182 is my most loved and soft brush! I can only imagine that you may have soap residue buildup. Try washing it with an anti-residue buildup remover shampoo, I actually loooove Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo for all my makeup brushes, it also removes all the stains from white goat hair brushes.

anshu7

u could condition them to make them softer.. i have no idea about brush hair but i find posh kabuki and ecotools blush brush very very soft