Makeup Compliments

Holy Rapture

First off, if this display pic is you, then you ARE most definitely gorgeous!!

Second, as I see it, people say stuff like that because maybe ALL of them think you MUST know you're gorgeous because you see yourself in the mirror everyday too. No one other than you knows of your insecurities, right ? I've seen this happen to people who already look great. They are simply complimented on their make-up or clothes and stuff then rather than what they most obviously come with ....

Not everyone realizes that sometimes the most beautiful people can be the most insecure!

Okami08

I'm with Holy Rapture on this one - I think people say "your makeup looks nice" because they wanted you to know that they noticed your makeup and think it looks great (like people compliment artists on their paintings/drawings/sculptures/whatever) and not because they think you're not pretty. They just want you to know that they've noticed something you've done that they think is really great.

The other thing might be that some people worry about saying "you look really pretty" when it's related to your makeup. I tell people things like, "I love that color you're wearing" or "Your eyes look so great!" because I don't want to just say "You look pretty" when I'm referencing someone's makeup, because I feel like you being pretty and your makeup being pretty are two different things, and while I compliment people on both, I have strong objections to people feeling like they're pretty because of their makeup or that they're not pretty without it, because I've never found that to be true. Ever since I was 13, I've been very sensitive to things like that because I've known people who felt like their makeup was the only pretty thing about them, and that they were, in a way, unacceptable if they didn't wear it. So I've tried never to reinforce the idea in anyone that they look pretty with makeup but not without it.

I'm also with Holy Rapture about your pic - if that's you, you are beautiful. Your makeup in the pic is quite nice, but you, all by yourself, are beautiful.

Mabelle

Sry to say, but i think your feeling this way because your insecure.

Someone is complimenting the way you have chosen to enhance your looks. Theyre not saying "Wow, you make up looks great. You really need it" Theyre saying your makeup looks great as in you look great.

MACLovin

I can see where you're coming from, but you have to look at it from the other side as well. Maybe not everyone feels comfortable telling someone "you are gorgeous/beautiful/etc." as opposed to pointing out one or two specific features they are impressed by. Like previous posters have said, it doesn't at all mean they don't think that, but maybe they didn't feel the need to point it out because you should already know that's a given.
winks.gif

I dunno, I can give you an example, I had a girl come in my office to get insurance and she was beautiful, but she also had really impressive eye makeup. So I chose to compliment her on that. I would kind of feel weird just saying "OMG you're so pretty". Sometimes people don't know how to take compliments like that also and might take it the wrong way.. like i was trying to hit on her or something, i dont know.. haha.

But yeah, all im saying is that you shouldn't feel like that. You ARE pretty, the makeup just enhances it.
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

Yeah, I think insecurities and being very sensitive really skew the way we interpret the outside world and comments. I know I've done it.

But, I agree with everyone else. I think it shows you are skilled and people are complementing your skill. I really only tell my friends they looks nice today or pretty and that's usually when I see they've done something special that day... for near strangers I stick to admiring something they are wearing or how they did something (hair, makeup, nails).

L1LMAMAJ

TOTALLY understand you!!

I get "your makeup looks really nice" or "your dress looks really cute." I do get the occasional "you look nice" or "you look pretty." It flatters me when people like my makeup. Just because they don't say "you look nice" doesn't mean you don't.

SpringDancer

I agree with all that was said above. Also, from another point of view: I sometimes make it a point to compliment someone on their makeup or clothes. When I do that I do not mean that the person isn't beautiful, but instead I want them to know I noticed their makeup skill, their style. I am sure whoever is complimenting you means the same!

Tahti

I know what you mean ;S but I don't really think about it, because I actually prefer being complimented on my makeup, cause if someone compliments my features I always think 'why are they saying that? there's this and this and x wrong with it, it's not nice at all' but if they compliment my makeup, I feel good, because it's complimenting a skill ;D

You're so pretty though! I don't think you should worry.

chocolategoddes

LOL I'm the opposite.

I'm always flattered when someone tells me I look pretty and I appreciate the compliments, but I wish people would notice my makeup after putting so much effort into it.
I don't mean in FOTD posts, but in real life.
I know I shouldn't be complaining, and I'm not. It's just funny how people see things in two different ways! ha

Yeah, you're just overanalyzing it. Who knows the reason why people don't say "you look pretty"? There could be several reasons, but it isn't worth getting upset over it.
winks.gif

aziajs

It's funny that you would post this. I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I get more compliments like, "I love your makeup. It's so pretty" rather than, "you are so pretty." It's kind of weird because it's flattering but sometimes I feel disconnected, like the makeup isn't on my face. It's almost as if it's a separate entity. A makeup artist once said that the goal is to have people compliment your beauty, rather than the makeup. Then you know you've really done a fantastic job. It makes me question my application. Perhaps I need to step up my game. But in the end I don't dwell on it too much. If I did I'd go crazy.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
It's funny that you would post this. I was just thinking the same thing the other day. I get more compliments like, "I love your makeup. It's so pretty" rather than, "you are so pretty." It's kind of weird because it's flattering but sometimes I feel disconnected, like the makeup isn't on my face. It's almost as if it's a separate entity. A makeup artist once said that the goal is to have people compliment your beauty, rather than the makeup. Then you know you've really done a fantastic job. It makes me question my application. Perhaps I need to step up my game. But in the end I don't dwell on it too much. If I did I'd go crazy.

But you are pretty!! Just say'n

pumpkincat210

I like it when people compliment my makeup but I also understand that only pointing out your makeup skills gets a little old after awhile. The only advice i can offer is try out a minimalist, neutral look that shows off your best features. You are a gorgeous gal and some IMO people that aren't as into makeup as us, have a difficult time complimenting your true beauty without coming off as sounding like a weirdo. People either compliment my makeup or tell me "i'm cute". I should be grateful they are saying something positive at all, but sometimes I wish someone would say you are "ravishingly beautiful"...I don't think anyone says that to anybody in the regular world. If they don't say anything at all, I'd just put it off as them being a little bit intimidated.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
...but sometimes I wish someone would say you are "ravishingly beautiful"...I don't think anyone says that to anybody in the regular world.

LOL...

You are ravishingly beautiful. There you go.

But on a serious note, 90% of the time when I think someone is beautiful I say it. I have always been like that. And you guys are right some people don't know how to take it. People do sometimes think you are a weird for saying it but I don't sweat it. My intention is just to compliment and I can't worry about how someone is going to perceive that.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
But you are pretty!! Just say'n

Awwww shucks...thanks.
blush-anim-cl.gif
You're the bees knees.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
LOL...

You are ravishingly beautiful. There you go.

But on a serious note, 90% of the time when I think someone is beautiful I say it. I have always been like that. And you guys are right some people don't know how to take it. People do sometimes think you are a weird for saying it but I don't sweat it. My intention is just to compliment and I can't worry about how someone is going to perceive that.

lol, thank you. Now hearing it from someone else makes it sound absolutely ridiculous.
You are right aziajs. People should compliment beauty when they see it and not be scared to say it.

chocolategoddes

Quote:
A makeup artist once said that the goal is to have people compliment your beauty, rather than the makeup. Then you know you've really done a fantastic job. It makes me question my application. Perhaps I need to step up my game. But in the end I don't dwell on it too much. If I did I'd go crazy.

Yes. Then it turns into one of those "the make up is wearing you" situations.

You don't need to question your makeup application... it's flawless.