Makeup for film vs photography?

jackie100

I am curious what the differences are in applying makeup for film vs photos?
This is just for my own knowledge, in case I want to look good for pics or if I'm being filmed etc...

I read that for film you will want to avoid dewy foundations with shimmer etc and use something matte instead because it can look shiny and to also use a matte blush instead of shimmer...

Any other major differences?

jackie100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
Are you talking about professional film/photography, or just casual stuff?

Well, I like to film myself on camera to see what I look like etc but I don't like the way I look on film so I guess you could say it's "casual" but I would do WHATEVER it takes for professional results tho. Or in case I want to film myself for youtube or something...

I might also want to take commercial classes soon where I will be on film and I want to look as good as possible.

Also in case I'm ever videotaped etc like for a home made video or something.
I just want to always look my best. I want to look good on film when I tape myself, I just don't like the way I film. Perhaps I'm just not "filmgenic" or something. I just want to do my own makeup as good as possible for film. For example, Tila Tequila's makeup always looks real good in her youtube videos, I wonder if she does it herself or has a pro do it.

Well, so far I noticed I look really washed out on film so I need A LOT of makeup for film because it barely shows up. I definitely need fake lashes and I PACK on the eye makeup, otherwise it's not even noticeable. I have also found that it's extremely important to emphasize my eyebrows, otherwise I look totaly washed out. I also wear my eyeliner extremely dark, much darker than I would use in real life because it barely shows up.

I'm also contouring EVERYTHING, my cheekbones, nose etc with my sculpt powder etc I don't know if it's making a huge difference because I still don't look as hot as I would like.... lol

ForgetRegret

LOL Well it sounds like you're figuring out your issues and fixing them as you go...that's really the best way to learn, because film and photos do different things to different people. Another thing you may want to try, if you're looking washed out and pale, is getting a foundation without SPF may help. Capture Totale by Dior is one that is supposedly really good. I love Dior foundation in general, cuz I have crappy skin, so I'm inclined to believe the good things I've heard. GL!