Making MAC Blue Pigment Duochromatic?

SerenityRaine

Ok, so this has been driving me crazy for the past 4.5 years. This chick in my class in college was wearing it & it appeared to be duochromatic. It looked amazing! So, you can only imagine my disappointment to learn that it wasn't! Ever since I bought it & took it home I figured that she was obvioulsy leaving something out -- what made it appear duochromatic! If anyone knows,TIA!

mdjmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
try layering blue brown over Blackground or Delft paint pot

I second this-layering any color over a black base has a tendency to bring out duochrome tones in it IMO.

ForgetRegret

I was thinking about something while I was at home yesterday, looking at my pigments...are you sure it was blue pigment, and not steel blue? If it was straight up blue pigment, then I still say try a combo of different bases to get the look you want...some girls are a little snooty about what they wear, and won't tell you exactly everything they're wearing, because they think it's their special secret and don't want anyone else to wear it EVER...LOL Anyway, GL in your search!

SerenityRaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetRegret
I was thinking about something while I was at home yesterday, looking at my pigments...are you sure it was blue pigment, and not steel blue? If it was straight up blue pigment, then I still say try a combo of different bases to get the look you want...some girls are a little snooty about what they wear, and won't tell you exactly everything they're wearing, because they think it's their special secret and don't want anyone else to wear it EVER...LOL Anyway, GL in your search!

Yes, unfortunately I think she was one of those. Oh well, I'm going to figure it out sooner or later!

So the duochrome color reminds me of one of those blue butterflies that when you stare straight on it looks one color then from another angle you see the other colors. Greenish/Yellow iridescence. Not sure exactly as its been eons!

So far I've tried:

Blacktrack x Blue Brown x Blue

Blacktrack x Old Gold x Blue

Blacktrack x Golder's Green x Blue

Blacktrack x Golden Olive x Blue

Blacktrack x Steel Blue x Blue

Mixing Medium + Blue Brown x Blue

Sea Me x Blue Brown x Blue

Sea Me x Blue

What I'm thinking of trying next:

Pearl CCB x White Gold x Blue

Sea Me x White Gold x Blue

Sea Me x Golder's Green x Blue

Any more suggestion welcome
tong.gif
I'm goin to figure this out one way or another!

HeavenLeiBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRaine
Yes, unfortunately I think she was one of those. Oh well, I'm going to figure it out sooner or later!

So the duochrome color reminds me of one of those blue butterflies that when you stare straight on it looks one color then from another angle you see the other colors. Greenish/Yellow iridescence. Not sure exactly as its been eons!

Sounds like Steel Blue, to me. Try that over Delft PP or Sea Me SS. Hell, I might try that myself later today, LOL

ForgetRegret

Quote:

So far I've tried:

Blacktrack x Blue Brown x Blue

Blacktrack x Old Gold x Blue

Blacktrack x Golder's Green x Blue

Blacktrack x Golden Olive x Blue

Blacktrack x Steel Blue x Blue

Mixing Medium + Blue Brown x Blue

Sea Me x Blue Brown x Blue

Sea Me x Blue

What I'm thinking of trying next:

Pearl CCB x White Gold x Blue

Sea Me x White Gold x Blue

Sea Me x Golder's Green x Blue

Any more suggestion welcome
tong.gif
I'm goin to figure this out one way or another!

The only other suggestion I can make is to not use anything that came out in the last few years. You said this was about 4 years ago..? I'd say forget anything that came out within the last 4 years, then...obviously she didn't travel forward in time and get paint pots, etc...
From how you're describing it though, I really think it might be steel blue...maybe try minted or blooz eye kohl underneath...I can't remember exactly when shadesticks launched (all the collections run together after a while, in terms of dates...), but Sea Me or Corn might work...and I thought there was a nice green one, too.
GL, let us know how it turns out! ...I'm personally invested in you figuring this out now! LOL

SerenityRaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Did any of the combos you tried come close?

Not really. Brown Blue probably was the closest but it was too muddy looking in the end...

SerenityRaine

See the reason I think its not Steel Blue is because this was around the time that Rebel Rock Blue was out. I could be wrong as I'm not sure when Steel Blue came out. I went to the MAC store & counter & described it to the MA's & they told me Rebel Rock Blue...

Maybe I'll try Minted + Blue Brown + Blue next. I've tried everything else!

ForgetRegret

Quote:
See the reason I think its not Steel Blue is because this was around the time that Rebel Rock Blue was out. I could be wrong as I'm not sure when Steel Blue came out. I went to the MAC store & counter & described it to the MA's & they told me Rebel Rock Blue...

Maybe I'll try Minted + Blue Brown + Blue next. I've tried everything else!

All right...now I'm all confused...the Blue pigment that you have...is it the original Blue? ...or did you buy your Blue after the RR collection came out? ...because Blue and "Rebel Rock Blue" are the same color, but I think people have said there's a texture difference, and possibly a color payoff difference, but I could've sworn that it was the same exact color, just reformulated. Hmm
BTW, I dont' remember when Steel Blue came out either, but I know it was out in 2005...I'll do some hunting and see if I can figure out exactly when...

Latest posts