Making money for mac? HOW DO YOU DO IT????

SnowWhiteQueen

I'm a university student who is addicted to MAC. I know this is kind of a personal question, but I am in awe at how some people on this site are able to afford so much makeup!!! What kind of job should I get as a student who needs to make lots of money? I've been told that waitressing gets you a lot of money through tips, but I was just wondering if anyone else had other suggestions. Thanks!

Beauty Mark

First of all, you don't need makeup if that's why you're looking for a job and I hate to sound parental, but if you're a student, your classes should really come first in your life then the luxuries. I would personally first look at where your money is going. Do you visit coffee shops frequently and get a huge latte? That adds up so fast. You may have more money if you make some sacrifice.

Jobs that can decent money:
Waitressing- you can make good to great money if you have the right personality and work at a decent place.

Tutoring: If you're good at something, you can make lots of money tutoring. You have to be patient and know how to teach, but you set your own hours and can charge considerable amounts per hour.

Nude modeling for art classes: Probably not something most people will want to do, but if you're comfortable sitting still for long periods of time and being nude in front of strangers, I've known a person who can live off his income through that.

Babysitting: It varies, but you can make good money that way as well.

It's certainly not a job, but maybe you should ask for money/gift cards for places that sell makeup for gifts. That was how I bought makeup when I was in college, as well as used up some money I earned from the summer.

SnowWhiteQueen

Thanks for your advice!!! I do have a job and my classes do always come first. But seriously, some girls have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of makeup if you look in the traincase section of specktra, and I just want to know what they do and how I can do it too!!!!

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen
Thanks for your advice!!! I do have a job and my classes do always come first. But seriously, some girls have thousands and thousands of dollars worth of makeup if you look in the traincase section of specktra, and I just want to know what they do and how I can do it too!!!!

We work hard, stick to a budget, save as much as possible and prioritise our spending. It's not a matter of how much money you can get in the shortest time possible, it's about having some fiscal common sense and enough stretch in your wallet to allow a little splurge every now and then.

chipmunkvoice

hahaha i sooo understand where you're coming from... when i see some of these girls traincases im just in awe and it makes me wanna go to the nearest MAC store and splurge.

i'm a uni student too with a parttime job but i dont earn that much. But i totally agree with Beauty Mark and lara ... you have to prioritize your spending and give yourself a budget. I calculate how much i earn in a month from my job and give myself a monthly budget... it changes every month but i can share with you that this month my budget is only $300 (it'd probably be $100 on cosmetics and $200 for other things). Its not much this month becoz i went a bit crazy last month haha But yeah... learn to stretch your wallet. For example... instead of buying a large caramellatte... opt for a regular or i'd make my own coffee and bring it in a thermos. Seems tightass but it saves a few dollars here and there and next thing you know... you can buy yourself a MAC eyeshadow pan
greengrin.gif

Oh and also keep in mind prices. Like i know that Australian MAC prices are ridiculously high so i know i cant buy as much makeup as someone would in USA with the same amount of cash. Reality check.

And dont worry... you'll have your own collection in due time. Slowly build up
winks.gif
We'll get there!

blueangel1023

I'm a college student myself and I work 2 jobs, retail and babysitting. The hours are long, and you have to juggle with schoolwork (not to mention lack of sleep)...but sometimes if you want to get that extra cash, you need to work hard for the money. I recently left my retail job because it was just too stressful for me. Babysitting is good money since a majority of the time it's off the books and they pay well. Generally about $10-15 an hr, depending on how many kids and the plus they sometimes give extra.

I also try to cut back on other things such as going to the movies, going to coffee shops, dining in restaurants, etc. By doing this, I'm definitely saving a good $100+ or so a month. Every penny counts...towards MU that is. Hehe, plus having a MAC pro discount definitely helps as well
smiles.gif

There's also this site called Makeupalley in which people swap their unwanted mu for other mu without having to spend additional money. Just thought I might add that in. Don't worry, eventually you'll graduate from school, land a nice paying job, and work your way in getting tons of makeup. In the end, it'll pay off
winks.gif

little teaser

you could consider stripping, they make lots of $$$$ you could comfortably support your way through school save and buy all the mac your lil heart desires..

Shimmer

eventually, picking up one or two pieces here, one or two pieces there, etc., the collection just grows. Few people went out and spent thousands of dollars on makeup in one fell swoop.
smiles.gif

User49

I got a cc to pay for my addiction, but i wouldn't advise it! You could get a part time job in a department store that has mac and then you get discount...

YvetteJeannine

Try to also keep in mind that some gals with HUGE makeup inventories are also in HUGE debt! That is why I never use credit cards to purchase any of my makeup: it is just too tempting to buy large amounts at one time: Then where are you? Sure: you may have the latest collection but being five thousand dollars in debt is NOT a good way to get it! Shimmer had a good point when she said it is good policy to pick up little pieces here and there: before ya know it you"ve got a pretty good amount of makeup!

GalleyGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YvetteJeannine
Try to also keep in mind that some gals with HUGE makeup inventories are also in HUGE debt! That is why I never use credit cards to purchase any of my makeup: it is just too tempting to buy large amounts at one time: Then where are you? Sure: you may have the latest collection but being five thousand dollars in debt is NOT a good way to get it! Shimmer had a good point when she said it is good policy to pick up little pieces here and there: before ya know it you"ve got a pretty good amount of makeup!

Exactly, you won't be in debt and your makeup box will not be clogged with stuff you don't use or know why you bought in the first place. I think if you buy piece by piece, you'll get quality items relevant to you that you'll actually use.

MsCuppyCakes

So, the MissCuppyCakes hauls, here's how I do it: I work full-time (make good money) and will be returning to school full-time in the fall. I decreased my overhead, rent, etc. to afford going back to school. So right now, my splurges on MAC are very affordable. Once I start school, I will not be able to buy as much. I won't have the energy or time.

Not in debt. I always pay with cash.

MisStarrlight

Most of the people on here who have the largest collections have one or more of the following qualities...

*Work for (or have worked for) MAC
*Have taken years to accumulate that much makeup
*Have full time jobs/rich parents or a lot of debt

I agree with everyone above me...don't put yourself in debt because you're in makeup envy. Thankfully out of all my debt, only about $300 of it has been from makeup impulses.

What I do now is keep a list of everything I want/need for my kit in priority order on my Sidekick so when I go shopping I make sure to get what I need and not go crazy on the new stuff or get duplicates.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
eventually, picking up one or two pieces here, one or two pieces there, etc., the collection just grows. Few people went out and spent thousands of dollars on makeup in one fell swoop.
smiles.gif

Shimmer is right. I have a massive MAC collection worth thousands. Parts of it are also at least a decade old.

SnowWhiteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisStarrlight

What I do now is keep a list of everything I want/need for my kit in priority order on my Sidekick so when I go shopping I make sure to get what I need and not go crazy on the new stuff or get duplicates.

That is a really good idea! I know in the past when I have made lists of what I wanted I did much less impulse buying. Thank you so much other helpful people for your suggestions as well!

CaraAmericana

One thing I want to point out too is that some have the PRO card because there are related to the biz so they get a 20% to 40% discount. But take your time and buy what you are confident you will use. I went through a phase and bought shit that look like shit on me because it was MAC!!! lol it's funny to say but true. It can become an addiction fast. So be careful and be pretty at the same time = )

geeko

I agree with the rest that quantity does not matter. Quality matters.

Sometimes when u buy too much on impulse, later when u get back home, you find yourself regretting the purchases. (which happens to me pretty often)

So nowadays, I only buy colors which I like and which i don't have.
I used to go crazy over M.A.C when i was first introed to it...now I only buy like a max of 4 MAC items a month.

For info, I just graduated from university and am currently lookin for a part time job (part time because i'm taking up a diploma in professional make up artistry which includes hairstyling. oPted for the full time course as there's more time for hands on). So I can't spend much on M.A.C now cause i'm not taking allowance from my mum anymore and i need the $$$ for buying materials for the course (not buying MAC for my make up course cause it's pretty expensive). So i gotta prioritise my stuff.

But at least I know that end of the course, (hopefully) I will be equipped with better make up skills. So i'm willing to forgo expenditure on M.A.C for quite a while.

The important thing is as what other girls have mentioned - to prioritize what's important and what's not so important.

CaraAmericana

OOOOO heres a tip, find out if there is CCO in your 'hood
Cosmetic Company Outlet. There are reduced prices on usually some really good shades!

geeko

Unfortunately my country doesn't have CCOs, so we have to buy items all at full prices!

And the "good" news, there's going to be an impending price hike in the MAC cosmetics for my country as our government increased the goods and services tax. What luck....

Another reason why i'm goin to cut down on my expenditure on M.A.C

Have to spend within my own budget.