Malm from Ikea may be dc'd??

laceydyan

I live near 3 IKEAS. I went to the closest one and they were sold out of the malm with no info on when it would be back in stock. It was out at the 2nd one as well. At the 3rd one it was on display at the front on sale for $99 vs. the 129 and said LAST CHANCE. I wonder if it's being DC'd!!!!

shortie_182

hi there, yes unfortunately it is being discontinued. i called them and asked myself. when i was at ikea it had a now or never tag on it. BUTTTTT, i went there just last week and noticed the black/brown which is usually on display is gone. in its place it shows a WHITE one! its the exact same thing. and it says on the top "new". also, the price is lower. in canada the small malm was $149 and now the new white one shows $129. i couldnt find it on the website at all but i saw it on the sales floor. check back at ur ikea in a few weeks. it mite just be there. its probably just the colors that they discontinued. i wish they didnt though cause i wanted the black one :(

TeresitaMC

I just noticed this too when I went on the site to re-check the dimensions :( I have been waiting months to go pick my own malm up, since I need a big enough car or truck. I can't believe my luck! I saved my bday money for an ikea trip to help me get this room very organized! The malm was a big part of it :( *so sad*

renateos

I actually work at Ikea. Yes, most of the colours are being discountinued. From now on we'll only sell it in white. Art.number: 102.036.10 (geek)
peace2.gif
I don't know if they have started selling the white one in the US yet, but here in Norway we started a couple of months ago.

TeresitaMC

Thank you for the info!!

Why would they only provide white??? Everyones decor is different! :( I am so sad by this...I waited forever and saved up my bday money...I just dont get why they wouldnt provide more options other than white?? Is it too costly to make without enough turnaround? Though I doubt that...I dunno :(

TeresitaMC

Does anyone know what the differences are of the now "old" ones and the "new" white one? I notice the price is cheaper, but why is that? Is it smaller? Cheaper quality? Any differences in the materials used?

Thank you in advance!

renateos

The whole Malm serie is now in a new white colour. The new colour is a bit more white than the old one that is more offwhite in comparison.

TeresitaMC

Thank you renateos!!
Did they discontinue the other colours for the whole series, too??

Also, it seems like it is more of a lacquer finish (but who knows as it is a stock photo). Is this true or is it the same finish as the old ones? I noticed the new one says "acrylic paint", though I'm not sure that the old one said that...

Thank you for any help you are able to provide! :)

renateos

No, all the dressers and beds are still in the other colours (they also added a new colour, a lighter version of the existing oak) :) The new Malm-table is the same finish as the old one ;) Hope this helps you :)

TeresitaMC

Oooh thank you so so much renateos!! :) I am thinking of getting it and then spray painting it black. Might seem like too much trouble, but it should be pretty easy and worth it for me. The savings from the new cost ($20 cheaper) of this dressing table can go towards the spray paint! I just hope that after all the work is done, they don't release a "new" one in black/black-brown again, haha.

Cupquake03

Good info here! I really like that Malm table so I am glad it is not discontinued. I just hope it is still around someday when I have enough room to get a "real" vanity! (Right now I have a drawer... :-/ ) Good luck painting yours...I'm sure it will turn out lovely!

TeresitaMC

^ Thank you so much!!! I am unable to buy it right now but hope to very soon! I need to get my stash in order :/ it's in all different places right now since I am trying to keep rooms very minimal - or the the bf wouldnt be happy ;) - so I have a corner on my desk w/my mirror and stuff I use most lol. But I miss being able to choose from my selection! =)

I will be sure to update here when it does happen! :)

Latest posts