Mary Kay-Yay or Nay?

Obreathemykiss

Hi ladies and gents. Last night I attended a Mary Kay seminar type of thing because I talked my best friend into selling it a few months ago so she could get a discount on the package she wanted and she wanted a hobby. So far, she really loves it and I guess the meetings and stuff they have are really fun and inspiring. Last night was a color certification class for the reps and I was her model. Of course they try-don't push, but still try-to get you to sell it and buy it. It seems to be a really good company, IMO. The directors make loads of money, get cars and other prizes, and seem pretty tight knit. My mom has tons of Mary Kay stuff and the quality is usually pretty good. Something that surprised me was what the director said-she said Mary Kay is number 1 over MAC, NARS, Drug store brands, and all other cosmetics brands in the world-meaning their sales are higher. I was very surprised by this considering there are beauty freaks everywhere and something like Mary Kay sells THAT much?!! I was also surprised because many of the women there have never worn makeup before. Anyway, the foundation I bought from them a few months ago was absolute crap because it wore off within a few hours, but their minerals I got to play with last night are beautiful! There's this blush called Shy I adore and am buying-it's a coralish color with a gold sheen to it. It is beautiful! I don't know how I feel about the mineral foundation quite yet... My question to you guys is-have you ever sold/considered selling Mary Kay? Do you own any products from Mary Kay? What are your thoughts on the brand/product?

Beutyjunkie84

Some of Mary Kays products products are decent. I have a few of their products.I prefer their lip products and blushes over the eyeshadows they are just ok to me...MAC spoiled me.lol. Their mineral makeup is decent. Mary-Kay is a very well respected cosmetic line-so I say Yay
thmbup.gif

elegant-one

Mary Kay is a MLM & the line they say that they are the No1 cosmetics co. is a lie that the company perpetuates - it is not true. Plus, many, many, many of the women don't sell makeup (or if they do it is in very small quantities) they RECRUIT! Its a pyramid scheme

There are unbelievable horror stories of the debt & lies that go in in this company. There are whole sites dedicated to help women trying to get out of debt & mental help for cult mentality that takes place.

If you do honest research you will find this out on your own.

Obreathemykiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
Mary Kay is a MLM & the line they say that they are the No1 cosmetics co. is a lie that the company perpetuates - it is not true. Plus, many, many, many of the women don't sell makeup (or if they do it is in very small quantities) they RECRUIT! Its a pyramid scheme

There are unbelievable horror stories of the debt & lies that go in in this company. There are whole sites dedicated to help women trying to get out of debt & mental help for cult mentality that takes place.

If you do honest research you will find this out on your own.

This is kind of the impression I get from them. They all seem to be very nice, but I don't understand how they are all racking in the cash. The more people on their team, the more money they are making, but what about the reg reps?!! Thanks for this info. I'm going to research.

elegant-one

They have downlines - so ONLY the people at the TOP of the pyramid make money off of the lowest of the totem pole going into debt.

Plus, they don't WIN cars (company rules - they are legally not even allowed to say this) the get it again from downlines CHARGING orders. And, those prizes & trips - for what you charge & recruit - you could buy that cheap dollar store prize for 1/4 of the price.

Its a lot for me to write here. I have done extensive research on it. It has destroyed finances & marriages like you would not believe.

Personally, I know a MK lady that lies, lies lies to everyone just to RECRUIT them in & if they don't join - she totally ignores them. It has EXTREME mental CULT activity. Just research it on the internet - you will not believe the lives that it has ruined. It is not what everyone thinks that it is on the surface. Too, a lot of women that drive those cadillacs - they pay for them or co pay just to make people think they are doing well. Ugghh, there is waaaay too much to even type here.

elegant-one

Just one informative site is pinktruth.com - she is a private investigator - that actually went inside MK to get the facts. Also, I have a wonderful friend who was very very high in kary kay that finally gave it up & revealed the truth. It has taken her years to come out of the whole brain washing & physical problems that the stress caused her from keeping up the lies & overworking etc. this co. created.

Obreathemykiss

Oh my...I did a google search and I am apalled by what I found! Yikes! Those pretty white fences are hiding the lies, dangers of products, and tactics! Thanks for this info. I would have NEVER in a million years thought about this or even figured such a thing.

That website- pinktruth.com-just wow! Pretty bad when directors are complaining about the system and products!

*emailed bf this info*
Now I feel awful for talking her into it! :/

elegant-one

I would've never guessed either! But I witnessed it first hand - then I did the extensive research to be sure. I'm appalled at anything that preys on the fears, insecurities, money & the desire for female friendships with women. Its unbelievable dear. And, those that are deeply entrenched in it will defend it all the way...until they get burned.

HySeXtTh19

I just started selling mary kay, I LOVE most of the products especially the mascara!! The skincare is great (cleared my sisters acne up in 3 days!) Alot of people say "mary kay puts you in debt, it'a pyramid blah blah blah) I have not spent one penny other than my starter kit and have already made "hobby money" I think it's a really fun thing to do if you love makeup and like showing others how to apply it and stuff! I went to 2 meeting and they are really fun and have loads of good advice! I think if you take it slowly and don't fall for the "you have to have inventory!" lines you will love it! I buy the products let people test them and sell from my stuff people only have to wait like 3 days until their order comes in so you really don't need stock kwim? I love selling it so far and I don't plan on making a huge investment anytime soon unless I get tons of clients lol! I am just in it for fun and the money is a bonus right now, if it becomes bigger than I am all for it!

Tracy

Obreathemykiss

FYI- I saw on pinktruth there's a lot of directors and customers complaining about the reactions they are getting with the new mineral line...awful things like red eyes, red streaks, itchiness, rashes, etc. I guess their minerals are full of talc as well..

I certainly did change my mind. I am nervous to talk to my best friend about it because she spent loads of money on her inventory and she might think I'm crazy.

HeavenLeiBlu

I think their products are decent, but I don't see why I would go out of my way to get them, when there are plenty other products of equal or better value out there. Plus, they d/c'd the one product I DID like to get especially from them.

For me, the turnoff with the company is the reps. they all seem rather pushy and extremely put off when you're not interested. It makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes. A previous poster said they seem cultish, and I agree. I have a friend who sells it and she's the only one I've met who doesn't seem to be nuts.

stacylynne

I never tried mary kay products. I met a woman who does & she kept harrasing me to buy their produdts. I told her point blank I'm not interested. Finally she stopped asking me.

HySeXtTh19

Quote:
For me, the turnoff with the company is the reps. they all seem rather pushy and extremely put off when you're not interested

That is the only reason I was scared to start selling I didn't want people to see me as " oh man here comes the annoying mary kay lady" I tell people ONE time that I sell and if they want to try any of the products they can let me know then I never mention mary kay again unless they do! ( of course I bug the crap out of my sister lol! )

Also when I started I was so excited about the "mineral foundation" but was VERY dissapointed to find out the main ingrediant was talc
ssad.gif
I have told everyone NOT to buy it unless mary kay fixes it.

IMO the pink truth website is so stupid who spends $10,000 on Mary kay makeup to "get started"??? That is ignorant lol! I think that website is filled with the dumb ex-consultants who dove straight in took out HUGE loans and now they are just mad but like I said that is my opinion!

Mary kay is not for everyone especially if you are looking for a "get rich fast" thing it is definatly more of a hobby fun thing I love having bags full of lotion, perfume, makeup, skincare, ect and saying hey I have lot's of products you are more than welcome to try! I do it for fun that is my mind set on the whole thing. I am not going to dress a certain way or cut my hair or even wear my makeup a certain way!!

Tracy

SkylarV217

I agree that Selling products like beauticontrol or Mary Kay is not for every one . But the Mary Kay reps do have the stigma of harassing people to death. It's to the point that you avoid all of the products good and bad simply to avoid the consultants. The worst thing in the world to do is to give one of them your phone number.

Tracy I think it's great that you inform people once that you sale. I wish all consultants were like you. They would probably get a lot farther, But the the pink truth website has stories of real people that didn't approach it the same way you did. They were lead by greedy women wanting to get higher up the "ladder" and lost a lot of money. I think It's important foe people to see the full spectrum before the go overboard. To me I think buying even $400.00 of inventory could put some people into somewhat of a money crunch ( I say 400 because I believe that is the minimum order at the beginning). That then may leave those women with a bunch of "inventory" they can't sale and without money that they needed. The Pink Truth website might allow some people to make a more educated decision before jumping into something like that with big ideas that may not necessarily be right.

It can be a lot of fun and a great way to get wonderful products at a discount but it could also be a way to loose a lot of money.

Firebabe

Here is my experienced !! No I dont sell

From the ages of 12-23 I had very oily and pimply face, I had little pimples all along the sides by my ears and along on my cheeks where My glasses rims are and all over my forehead, Finially when I was about 23yrs old I started buying drug store face wash,every single brand made my face extremely red and blotchy,I had to stop using them and use just water, I had many almost unused differnt kinds of face wash I couldnt use, I discovered I had the most sensitive skin especially around my chin area. Then I discovered Mary Kay .I was willing to try anything to get rid of my horrible red face, I was shown the facewash,toner and the mask,
The face cleaner was the original (not the Timewise 3 in 1) before Timewise came out
I bought the Revitalizing mask and Toner for oily skin,
PS, I dont know why but I cant stand my face being dirty after 2-3 hours it feels dirty and I wash it (with Timewise 3 in 1 for dry skin) aprox 4-5 times a day *complusive or what!!*
But it makes my skin so beautiful,
Truthfully and honestly The facewash,toner and mask got rid of my pimples ,every single one of them, and I havent had bad skin since. PS. just the ocassional pimple
I wanted to tell you ladies my good experience with MK.

mreichert

I used to be a MK consultant (up until a few years ago). I did not make any money- but you really have to push the sales and work hard at locating people to try to buy from you. So, I quit selling it. It's very difficult to make money as you need to keep a well stocked inventory at all times as you never know what people will be buying, and they usually don't want to wait a week or two until their shipment comes in.

BUT..... the skincare is excellent! It is the only products out of multiple lines that does not break me out, keeps my skin hydrated, and helps with skin flaws. Here's my recs based from my experience:

-Skincare is excellent- all of it: eyecreams, cleansers, moisturizers, etc.
-Eyeshadows are too powdery and not very pigmented
-Blushes are decent
-Lipsticks and glosses are pretty good
-Foundation is crap. I used it for years and had no idea how much better my skin could look if I switched to something else

HTH someone
smiles.gif

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HySeXtTh19

IMO the pink truth website is so stupid who spends $10,000 on Mary kay makeup to "get started"??? That is ignorant lol! I think that website is filled with the dumb ex-consultants who dove straight in took out HUGE loans and now they are just mad but like I said that is my opinion!

Tracy

To call these women 'dumb' & 'stupid' is just absolutely immature. The very, very high up director that is my friend, is one of THE most intelligent women I have ever met. You speak the very language of a kbot - degrading other women - point made.

Its not really about the makeup itself. Its fine if you like it & it works for you. And, the problem is not even someone wanting the kit & discount makeup. I'm sure that there are many well meaning & great woman who do still sell this line. The problem is the MLM Pyramid scam that the company as a whole is set up as & the directors at the top.

A high up pink Cadillac driving Mary Kay director move into my neighbor hood a while back. It was like a wolf moving into a sheep farm. She seemed so nice - on the surface. I watched this women lie, scam, do anything she could to the other women in the neighborhood. She is so crafty at her lies. I think she is so brainwashed into believing them herself. Finally, all the women now hate her & avoid her like the plague. But that's ok, there is always someone else to scam. This woman cannot talk without sounding like a robotic recording.

Because of watching this first hand & never seeing anything like it, I spent a year doing extensive research about the company. I have read legal briefs, documents, laws suits filed against MK, company policy documents, & hundreds upon hundreds of real life testimonials from women who's lives, finances & marriages have been destroyed by this MLM company. The top directer that I know (& she is one of many that have come out to tell the truth) is still mentally trying to walk through the shame & brainwashing that this company created. Sometimes its not what women who sign up for MK would ever dream would happen to them - but it does. I can't begin to tell you the bankruptcies, divorces, and over all destruction it has caused.

I could go into greater detail, but thanks to the wealth of internet information out there, anyone can do the research. I was hoping that this board would be a mary kay free zone.

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
I could go into greater detail, but thanks to the wealth of internet information out there, anyone can do the research. I was hoping that this board would be a mary kay free zone.

I aggree one hundred percent with you It's not about the products b/c while some of them are bad , a lot of them are really good. It's about all the harm the pyramid does . while I'm not sure about it being a Mary Kay free board simply because since this girl asked about it she know knows the truth and won't be so easily sucked into the chain of devastation. I also completely agree with you 100% about the ladies on Pink Truth not being stupid. There were some very intelligent women that believed they were making a career move only to find out it was the WRONG one.