Matte Pigments....nothing to do with why the jar isn't full...

baby_love

hey everyone. so, I've been wondering, has MAC come out with any Limited Edition Matte pigments? I can't think of any. also, why are there none in the regular line?

sorry in advance if this is a dur dur dur question.

thanks!!

OnaFyre

It's my understanding that matte pigments are considered harder to work with and the "average consumer" would get frustrated by them. I heard this from a guy at the Robertson pro store in response to my interest in the matte black pigment. He also added that black and blue toned ones are the worst of the worst and the most difficult to work with.

I can sort of see his point, you do have to be a master blender to work with the matte pigments and be careful with the initial application- as I've learned from my beloved burnt burgandy...

But I'm just an "average consumer," so I'm wondering what the artists have to say about this.

prinzessin784

true - all of the matte pigments are Pro! Probably because they might not appeal to the average customer as much as the frosty, glittery ones do and the color selection is more dramatic? I really have no idea, it's just a guess
winks.gif
haha

baby_love

hm...this does make sense! and makes me feel so stupid for not thinking of it before haha. Matte pigments are pretty hard to work with, you have to get the hang of them. The average consumer most likely is not going to spend as much time as we do trying to get a color to look good lol. People just want to put their makeup on with no hassles, and I guess matte pigs are just that.

thanks a lot, you two!

Chic 2k6

Ive got Pink Matte pigment and it is a bugger to blend, plus the color payoff isnt totally great so if i were u, avoid these!

DaizyDeath

Theres several reasons some mentioned above

1. they wouldnt sell well due to the fact that their not glittery or nicely textured like other pigments and most buyers want something thats going to catch their eye or else their not going to buy it.

2. I find that my matte pigments work best as a base for another pigment or eyeshadow to make it "pop" more the average consumer doesnt want to buy something to just put under another thing to make it look better they just want something to look good on its own.

3. The skill level for matte pigments is alot higher then with the other pigment finishes and alot of people that are just casual makeup buyers only own one makeup brush or just a sponge tip appicator to expect them to be able to blend and make a matte pigment look good is a bit unreasonable.

I myself love matte pigment but i find myself not using them for everyday wear on myself mostly for stage makeup use.

baby_love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic 2k6
Ive got Pink Matte pigment and it is a bugger to blend, plus the color payoff isnt totally great so if i were u, avoid these!

Do you have the original pink or Cool pink or Pink Vivid? haha, maybe the older ones are different? I don't have any of those. I've used most of the newer mattes and I like them. they aren't hard for me to blend but I have to use a firm blending brush (222) and they seem to flake more when they are applied, so it's a pain in the arse. I think they look much better when used with mixing medium.

you can also use the match paintstick and they usually look a lot better put on top of those.

bellaetoile

several reasons, ranging from marketing to the consumer, to actual practicality for the average consumer.

to begin with, the specktra-mua-and-LJ-addicted mac users are far and wide outnumbered by the average consumers who don't spend as much time reading up on the MAC product spectrum. many are unaware that mac pigments even exist, as they are not widely available at all mac counters. most tend to buy pressed eyeshadow pans, as they are easier to use, easier to travel with, and, for the most part, are believed to be "quicker". mac has several matte shades as parts of their regular eyeshadow line. if a customer wants a matte color, they will probaby purchase a matte shadow pot.

also, on the rare occasion that counters do get pigments (for example, with the LE lines), they want items that are flashy, and that catch the eye easily. if the average shopper is walking through a nordstroms, for example, and pass by the MAC counter, MAC wants to make sure that the products on display have maximum potential, and therefore, are an easier sell. shimmer catches the eye, and it is much easier to convince a customer to buy a loose, shimmery pigment for the eyes, purely because most people have more experience with shadows with shimmer. it's all about making the maximum amount of revenue. they figure that those with enough expertise and knowledge of makeup to actually want matte can go to the pro store, or find other means, of purchasing the matte pigments.

i personally like the matte pigments, and find them decently simple to use, providing you use the right brushes, the right technique, and start with a little product, building up the color as you want. still, most of my friends who aren't mac-addicts tend to shy away from my mac pigments.

i can see why they are not offered at regular freestanding stores, because i have a feeling if they were, they'd get a LOT of customer returns on them. products can seem so appealing when you are shown by a makeup artist, yet seem so difficult when you bring them home and try them yourself. i have a feeling that matte pigments might potentially cause this reaction.

lara

Bellaetoile hit the nail on the head.

The higher the concentration of mica/frost in a powder product, the easier it is to apply, smudge and blend. Consumer lines feature so many shimmery eye products because they always rate highly in terms of consumer ease-of-use.

Latest posts