Mineralize satinfinish or select SPF 15?

addicted_2color

I currently use studio fix powder (NC40), but because its winter, it makes my skin look very dry and powdery - not to mention i think the color is off. I have combination skin and have breakouts, so I'm afraid of using a MAC foundation because I hear a lot about how it makes people break out, but I'm willing to try it out because I know that isn't the case with everyone.

I basically want to use it for light-medium coverage (i've heard studio fix fluid can feel caked on) and then I'll set it with mystery powder (or is that not good for acne prone skin since it has talc in it?). I do get greasy by the end of the day and mineral foundation (everyday minerals) did not work out on my skin and felt like i just created a foundation batter on my skin - gross. I also have read that the mineralize satinifinish has a subtle shimmer to it. is it that bad? I tried to read the memories and reviews on MUA but still don't have a strong opinion on what I think about these items.

I know the best thing would be do just go to a counter and get a sample, but I want user opinions. Thoughts?

Kiseki

If you have combo/oily skin and are acne prone stay away from either product, Mineralize Satinfinish is not suited for oily or acne prone skin and the shimmer IMO is not subtle, so you might look very oily and cakey.

Select SPF is kinda meh in my opinion, with your skin type I'd wear Studio Fix Fluid applied with a brush like the 187 if you want lesser coverage and Blot Powder is preferable to Mystery Powder for combo/oily skin. If you don't like to look shiny and need to touch up, pressed plot powder is preferable.

kalikana

I would recommend Studio Fix Fluid too, as I have the same skin type as you. It doesn't really feel caked on, imo. But I think you should get a sample first because it's different for everybody.
smiles.gif

I heard that Fix+ takes care of the "cakey-ness" if there's such a word. I wouldn't know, since I don't have it.. but I just bought it from Meryl, so we'll see if the product is as good as everyone says, lol. xD

Myosotis

I have the same skin type and Mineralize Satinfinish made my skin break out like crazy! Not to mention the shimmer made me look shiny. I used to use Select SPF 15 and I liked it a lot. If you apply it with a brush (I used the 190 but the 187 is great for a light application) it doesn't look cakey at all. It gave me a nice coverage that still looked and felt natural. A little goes a long way! Blot Powder is great to control shine.

I now use Jane Iredale mineral powder and I no longer have breakouts.

GertiL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki
Select SPF is kinda meh in my opinion, with your skin type I'd wear Studio Fix Fluid applied with a brush like the 187 if you want lesser coverage and Blot Powder is preferable to Mystery Powder for combo/oily skin. If you don't like to look shiny and need to touch up, pressed plot powder is preferable.

2nd the blot powder. I was impressed, at the end of the day only a tiny bit of shine. I didn't re-apply!
thmbup.gif

addicted_2color

for those of you that had responded to me, thank you very much.

i went to macy's today. i decided i was going to select between studio fix fluid and select spf 15. I had the MA apply one on each side of my face. i ended up picking up the select spf. i was surprised that the studio fix fluid didn't feel caked on. but after she applied both, i noticed i didn't like the color of the studio fix fluid and i liked the way the select spf covered my blemishes without turning them a funky color.

i also ended up picking up the foundation pump (which i couldn't believe was $4!), moisturelush eye cream (will eventually go back to get the face cream for night use) and i also got lightsweep/shadester sculpt and shape (even though i said i didn't need this. but i realized i wanted a matte color to contour with.)

she set everything with blot powder and i really hope that the sheer mystery powder works out for me. i feel that i have so many powders......ok just three, but technically two because studio fix powder is a foundation, and the other two is the mystery powder and select sheer - which cracked =(

so thanks everyone for your recs. =)

trollydolly

ive got studio fix fluid, mineralize satinfinish and select spf. out of all of them i love studio fix fluid the most. i apply it with 187 brush and it doesnt feel or look cakey. for days when i dont need as much coverage i use mineralize satinfinish with msf natural over the top and its gorgeous! there isnt any shimmer, it just looks nice and healthy. select spf 15 was the first mac foundation i tried and theres nothing really that special about it. i could find cheaper foundations with the same qualities as it. but occasionally i do use select spf mixed with moisturizer when i dont want to wear much makeup.
out of all of them i think studio fix fluid is probably best for you.

Kristal

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_2color
she set everything with blot powder and i really hope that the sheer mystery powder works out for me. i feel that i have so many powders......ok just three, but technically two because studio fix powder is a foundation, and the other two is the mystery powder and select sheer - which cracked =(

I broke my studio fix powder and i crushed all the powder and put it in a sample jar then when i used it i would put a little bit of it in my compact swirl the brush around, tap it, then put it on. it took a tiny bit longer than usual but it was better than buying a new one.

you should try that with your select sheer if you dont like the way mystery powder looks.

:]

k.a.t

I use Select SPF 15 too applied with a brush, and it is buildable but to me it doesn't feel cakey at all. I then use a tiny amount of Studio Finish concealer where needed with a fluffy eyeshadow brush so not much goes on and it works well for me. Then i just set with some cheap rimmel london loose powder... lol
I also have the same skin type as you so..