Mngmnt major, should I add Finance as a minor?

liquidstar

I'm a Management major and right now I'm taking a basic Finance course that everyone in business has to take. I am thinking that I really like it, it's not that easy for me but I think I can get the hang of it.

The thing is, I was planning to graduate next Spring and if I add Finance as a minor I would have to take 5 more classes, I could take a few in the Spring, but I don't know if I can finish it up in the Summer so I might end up graduating in the Fall of 08. I really wanted to start grad school then but I guess I could start that in the Spring of 09, I'm just stressing out because I'm almost 23 and I really want to get school behind me.

Would Finance be useful at all for me? I plan on getting my MBA, so I don't know if I really need to add finance. I seem to get an equal amount of opinions on both sides and I can't figure out what to do.

Dizzy

Sit down with your advisor and talk it all out. They'd probably be your best bet since they deal with these issues all the time and know the ropes well.

If you can't do that, then check and see what the grad schools you're applying to want- contact an admissions rep and see if fianance would help your chances, or if they'd suggest another minor for you. You'd be surprised at what they prefer sometimes; I'm a pre-law student (poli sci major) and the few schools that I'm looking at all suggested that I take a philosophy minor to demonstrate logic skills.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be of more help, but best of luck to you!

liquidstar

Thanks. I do want to see my advisor but at my school it's such a pain, esp. before the semester starts-waiting in line for over an hour in a hot room is no fun for me..lol

Thanks for mentioning to check with grad schools. I totally forgot that I would need to see an admission rep anyway to make sure I'm on the right track. I was just going to apply and see where I get in...obviously I don't know much about how grad school works.

It's just tricky because the basic Finance course is interesting, and I have no way of finding out if I like the other courses until I add the minor and take them, and if I don't like it, I'll be wasting money and time. I hate making decisions..haha

kaliraksha

My complete personal opinion is that getting started on your MBA is more beneficial than a minor or double major. They are both on the same track and that extra 6 months of job training will be more beneficial on your resume than an extra degree. Business degree and MBA seem impressive as it is- if I where to take extra time anywhere it would be on an internship related to a field I want to work in, if I can't do that then I would consider Finance degree.

I would definitely talk to your future school choices and maybe a career advisor at your school- which should be less complicated to see.

liquidstar

Well I decided that since I'm having a hard time now in this basic class, I know that it won't get any easier from here. Instead of ruining my gpa I just won't add the minor, and at this point, I'm so frustrated with my homework I don't think I even like Finance anymore..lol