Moan: the curse of oily foundation.

ilexica

Right, this mystery is starting to drive me nuts.

I have very, very dry skin. If I don't wear any kind of makeup, I find usually that by lunchtime I have to moisturise. I don't get any kind of shine unless I try running somewhere.

However...whenever I wear foundation, if I touch my face after a couple of hours I get ludicrous amounts of oil/shine coming off on my fingers. Not nice. And the foundations I use are supposedly oil free. Does anyone else find this?

I mean, it's not as though I can't sort it - I carry blot films and powder, but more often than not it's not a visible problem, just one that makes my face feel yicky. I know I should just stop putting my hands on my face, but I can't help it!

Argh! Why!

lechat

What is your skincare regimen like?
Have you tried any kind of primer below the foundation?
What kind of foundation are you using?

Whenever I hear about issue like this, the first thing I tend to veer towards is that it's a skincare issue, rather than a makeup one. You may just need to balance the skin out. Using something like Pond's Deep cream cleanser at night with a sulfur mask on the t-zone followed by Gentle skin Cetaphil in the morning might help.

Also, sometimes companies tout their foundations as oil free, but they aren't actually helpful for oily skin. One of Estee Lauder's OF foundations was like this. It had a lot of shea butter which made the foundation slide right off of an oily face.

ilexica

Good questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechat
What is your skincare regimen like?
Have you tried any kind of primer below the foundation?
What kind of foundation are you using?

If I'm taking makeup off I use wipes followed by ultrabland or cold cream. Moisturise at night and in the morning with a Jo Malone moisturiser. If my skin's really dry and I'm not wearing makeup that day, I cleanse with argan oil.

I've tried the smashbox primer but found it didn't really do anything one way or the other.

I swing between EL doublewear and laura mercier tinted moisturiser at the moment. Sadly I do need hefty moisturiser because my skin feels like sandpaper otherwise.

Quote:
Whenever I hear about issue like this, the first thing I tend to veer towards is that it's a skincare issue, rather than a makeup one. You may just need to balance the skin out. Using something like Pond's Deep cream cleanser at night with a sulfur mask on the t-zone followed by Gentle skin Cetaphil in the morning might help.

Thing is, my t-zone is really, really dry. I'm not wearing makeup at the moment and the area above my eyebrows is peeling. The rest of my face feels fine, but I've moisturised twice so far today. I had really oily skin as a teenager but it's not been that way for a while.

Quote:
Also, sometimes companies tout their foundations as oil free, but they aren't actually helpful for oily skin. One of Estee Lauder's OF foundations was like this. It had a lot of shea butter which made the foundation slide right off of an oily face.

Maybe this is why I'm finding it difficult - I don't get visible shine on my face, I just hate the way they make my skin feel oily when my skin is, left to its own devices, very dry. So I can only conclude that the yucky oil is coming from the foundation and not my skin. Maybe the doublewear is a culprit in that respect.

onepinkdiamond

While I don't have excessively dry skin like you, I do have the same problem.

I notice that when I am not wearing any foundation at all, my skin is normal, no oil, and no need for blotting. But when I wear my foundation (SFF and LM Tinted Moisturizer) with or without primer I notice midday that I am in desperate need to blot and without it my face looks like wet paint
yucky.gif
!!

I've alternated primers with both foundations and I always get the same result. I get the same result with mineral foundation as well. And with my experience, it has nothing to with facial/skin care regimen. It has to do with how thick of a layer (of anything) you are putting on top of your face. Skin is porous and needs to breath, hence the more you do to cover it, the more you are blocking it. I also think that with layering anything on your face, it actually provokes your skin to produce MORE oil!! I never had this problem with my Revlon foundation (less coverage) or any of the other foundations I used before I became turned on to higher end brands. And Lechat is right in the fact that a lot of companies use oil in their formulas, regardless of their label as 'oil free'.

My solution? Blot powder. I sometimes use primer, not for the lasting effect, but to minimize my pores (I use Estee Lauder Idealist). But that's about it. Both of the foundations you mention I consider to be on the 'heavy' end because of their level of coverage. LM's TM is definitely on the heavier end of TM's, it's more of a foundation that a moisturizer (think coverage).

I know I didn't really help with your problem but now you know you're not alone
smiles.gif

Mabelle

you should look into doing some masks. clay masks, enzyme masks, anything.
Hit up your local sephora and tell them about yoru skin, ask for samples of masks/treatments. i would say the yogurt mask by korres, the blueberry enzyme mask by ole, maybe even one of the clay masks by b kamines. You need something to provide intense moisture. Also, i dont know if you do exfoliate, but girl, youve got to. It'll help with the dry skin look when your not wearing foundation. look for something hydrating in everything for your skincare line. So something foamy or just rich but with decent sized exfoliating particles. Not of this wuusy stuff for you! As i always say, ocean salt scrub is my fav. (by lush), its good on most skin types and leaves you skin feeling refreshed and lush like you just came back from the beach.

i would say absolutely moisturize before you put on your foundation, and absoluetly apply a primer. I would suggest something like BE oil control primer, or MUFE all matt. If this doesnt work with your current foundation, you might wanna look into another foundation... maybe mufe mat +, or something waterbase? If you conquer the parched skin look, i would even try a mineral foundation. Its very good on oily skin, looks natural, and you can eventually get something like the BE mineral veil in the portable kabuki, and just keep it in your purse for a touch up when you need it.

good luck!

KimmyAnn_678

Try the new Lauder moisturizer, Hydrationist. It is made to help give you immediate hydration and to help keep skin hydrated throughout the day and helping your skin maintain it's optimum moisture balance as well as rebuilding the moisture barrier (the have a Dry Skin Formula as well as a Norm/Comb. formula). If you need to re-moisturize in the middle of the day, I would think your mositurizer isn't doing enough for you and perhaps the reason that you're feely oily in your foundation is that your skin is over compensating as someone else suggested.

I also second the recommendations of exfoliating and a primer.

shatteredshards

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnn_678
Try the new Lauder moisturizer, Hydrationist. It is made to help give you immediate hydration and to help keep skin hydrated throughout the day and helping your skin maintain it's optimum moisture balance as well as rebuilding the moisture barrier (the have a Dry Skin Formula as well as a Norm/Comb. formula).

It looks like it's pretty much oil based with some different alcohols (ironic, since alcohol dries the skin out). Is that going to work okay with fickle skin issues?

KimmyAnn_678

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatteredshards
It looks like it's pretty much oil based with some different alcohols (ironic, since alcohol dries the skin out). Is that going to work okay with fickle skin issues?

I've had people that sound like they have similar issues... dry, and re-occurring dryness (with some sensitivities) throughout the day say it worked really well for them. I'm not up on all the ingredients and what they all do or different names for them, but I did find an online listing that listed the ingredients.. cetyl alcohol (Surfactant; Emulsifier) and behenyl alcohol (Emulsion Stabilizer; Lipophilic Thickener) as the 33rd and 34th ingredients.

JMO, but for someone that has to moisturize in the middle of the day when wearing no make up, but then find themselves oily when wearing foundation, one idea may be that their skin is over compensating because it's so dry. Since Hydrationist sounds like it was made to prevent these exact kinds of problems, I thought it sounded like a logical match.