Mobile phone LCD cracked... what do I do?!

~Crystal~

I know... this is completely the wrong place to be posting and asking advice for mobile phone problems, considering that it's a MU forum!! But the LCD on my Nokia 7370 got -completely- ruined last night... and I reaally don't know what to do...
The rest of the phone is ok- I can still call people provided I hit the right buttons... and I can even receive calls! But I can't SEE anything on the screen, but a big black blotch.

What should I do?! I called the Nokia care centre here for a quote, and they told me $170+ o.o $170!!!!! I honestly don't have that much to spend on repairing the phone...

I've heard of some people having bought a new LCD and replacing it themselves, but I'm kind of scared to take apart my phone
ssad.gif
(and I don't know how to do it). I know I know... I should be asking guys something like this instead, but none of my guy friends have been any help at all and I'm desperate!!

Heaps of people have just said to get a new phone, but I got this one less than a year ago for my 20th birthday present from my boyfriend... and well... there's sentimental attachment. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do/where I should get it repaired or how to do it?!?!

Shimmer

you can't repair it
you'll have to get a new screen or a new phone. Since the screen is the bulk of the expense of the phone...*shrug* it's all in how you want to spend your m oney.
Is there insurance on the phone?

MxAxC-_ATTACK

with insurance you would still have to pay 50 dollars to get it fixed. you can get a new phone for that.

you can always go down to your phone carrier, and renew your plan and get a cheap or free phone.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

OR

ive taken the LCD screens out of my Razr a few times, I dont know about nokias internal workings but my razr was a piece of cake , just remember where you found everything, phones really are NOT that complex. you might beable to find a LCD on ebay.and directions on how to replace it on the internet. thats what I did.

MAC_Pixie04

that happened to me, i reported the damn thing stolen lol got a brand new one for $40....

*slaps wrists* i know, bad bad girl.

swtginbug

yeah my friend did the same thing. she reported her phone stolen and just paid like $40 - $50 to get a brand new phone. it's not like they can check to see if you're phone really got stolen. i know its wrong but hey, if you can save money hehe.

saniyairshad

Hon contact your cell phone service and try to get an upgrade. or do what everyone is saying report ur phone stolen
winks.gif

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtginbug
yeah my friend did the same thing. she reported her phone stolen and just paid like $40 - $50 to get a brand new phone. it's not like they can check to see if you're phone really got stolen. i know its wrong but hey, if you can save money hehe.

well they can check, if the phone actually works, meaning that it starts up the chip/memory card/sim card is responsive, they can trace the phone. They usually don't unless you were like robbed or mugged and your phone along with other items were stolen, then they do a trace because it becomes a more serious issue with law enforcement, etc.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
that happened to me, i reported the damn thing stolen lol got a brand new one for $40....

*slaps wrists* i know, bad bad girl.

She'd have to call and have insurance placed on the phone first.
Since it still receives calls, they'll put insurance on it.
Then s he'll have to wait like two weeks, and file the insurance claim.

Not that I know anything about that.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniyairshad
Hon contact your cell phone service and try to get an upgrade. or do what everyone is saying report ur phone stolen
winks.gif

If she hasn't had the account for 22 months, or hasn't spent a massive amount of cash with them over the past year, they won't upgrade it.

Best thing to do would be to go into a Cingular store, add insurance, (OR you can do it online), wait two weeks, then file a lost claim on it.

caffn8me

a search on eBay for "Nokia 7370 screen" shows the screens are easily available at around $30-$40 - and most are sold with the special screwdriver you need to dismantle the phone. If you aren't sure you'll be able to dismantle it and put it back together again, take photos with a digital camera at every stage of dismantling. To be honest, it should be pretty easy to fix. It's not as though you have to wave a hot soldering iron at it.

kaliraksha

Yep, I would buy it on Ebay. I bet they come with screwdrivers and you may want to ask the seller first if they include directions. I did it for my brother's cracked PSP screen- pretty easy. It was 50 dollars but it was his birthday gift from me as it was cheaper than replacing the PSP.

When I do phone research I use http://howardforums.com/

Try asking there they are pretty helpful.

prinzessin784

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
well they can check, if the phone actually works, meaning that it starts up the chip/memory card/sim card is responsive, they can trace the phone. They usually don't unless you were like robbed or mugged and your phone along with other items were stolen, then they do a trace because it becomes a more serious issue with law enforcement, etc.

Yeah but you could always toss it in a river or out the window on the highway haha.

~Crystal~

Thanks for all the help guys!! I found someone who would help me fix it for $95 so I think I'll just go with that instead, since I'm really not too confident of being able to put it back together again... even if i DO take photos every step of the way!