Modeling

OfficerJenny

oh.gif
I searched and the only topics I saw were from like 2006 with limited response sooo

For those of you with experience with modeling work, how exactly do you go about getting started?
Do I just take a couple shots and send them to agencies? What should I look out for or avoid?

Thanks in advance <33

blindpassion

Join modelmayhem.com
smiles.gif
Searching casting calls in your area and start working with photographers for TFP (trade for photo) projects.

pumpkincat210

be wary of agencies that want money! I agree, with the modelmayhem.com rec..if you are serious... you need some good quality pictures taken by someone else, they don't have to be professional, but they can't be taken by yourself. Clear face shots and full body shots are a must. Check it out, it's free and the requirements to join aren't difficult to meet if you are serious.

TISH1124

I agree with Modelmayhem...and I think you said your Father is a photograher so you will be so great!!! Lots of natural looks and b/w's are great too

OfficerJenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
be wary of agencies that want money!

Yeah, definitely not gonna go that route!!

Thanks guys!!
greengrin.gif

I signed up for a Model Mayhem a longggtime ago but never finished creating it so it's still under the "makeup artist' category. I hope they will let me change it to a "Model" profile. o.o

chocolategoddes

Modelmayhem is a good place to start. I was actually thinking about joining but I'm not sure yet.

If you want to send a few shots to some agencies but don't have a professional portfolio, just take a plain shot of your face: one smiling and one not smiling. Then a full body shot (don't wear anything to fancy. Jeans and t-shirt is just fine)
Have a sheet with your stats and any interesting information.

Also look out for open calls. I don't know how legit those modeling agency reps at those kiosks at the mall are (you know what I'm talkin about?) but you could give those a try...

But you really could pursue modeling. I don't know how tall you are, but you have a really interesting androgynous look that could do well in the industry.

OfficerJenny

six foot one. lols.
I love being androgynous <3 I've always been kinda wary of those guys at the mall kiosks just cause they, like, call you to Great America and some other crazy crap o_O

xladydragon

Hmm I have one question to those with experience, do you have to have "perfect teeth" to be able to get any work?

TISH1124

I don't have personal experience but I have watched a lot of the modeling shows and when they take you on in the agency...they will normally get your teeth fixed....or send you to a dentist they know that will work with you...They had my bestfriends daughter get the invisalign braces..But some imperfections are what makes us different....and they look great

chocolategoddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xladydragon
Hmm I have one question to those with experience, do you have to have "perfect teeth" to be able to get any work?

Well, it depends on how effed up your teeth are.
I've seen two or three successful, working models in magazines (and even a beauty campain) with imperfect teeth. The great thing was that their teeth were embraced and not photoshopped.

If you want to get booked for work, you shouldn't treat your teeth like a flaw but more like an edge.... something unique.
That being said, you probably won't be booking any Crest commercials or w/e.
greengrin.gif

pumpkincat210

there are lots of people in the entertainment industry with imperfect teeth.. madonna for one...jewel is another..
then there are those that "fixed" their teeth and they hurt their whole look, like hilary duff, finally she had those veneers shaved down some. She looked fine before. and thank goodness it was fixable!
As long as your teeth aren't hurting your jaw or causing other tooth problems I would leave them alone until you feel your teeth alone are hindering your advancement.
Remember that actress in Dirty Dancing that got the nose job and noone knew who she was after that, it killed her acting career unfortunately.

DancingBrave

Take some basic pics and send them to all the legit agencies in your area, assuming you don't have a port. Most list the requirements and places to send it on their websites. Joining MM is also a good move to get work on your own. Alot of agencies have non exclusive contracts so its another avenue to pursue even if you get representation. At some point you'll have to invest in quality headshots though and put together a port. Trade work you get from MM can help with this, but it really does need to be a good photographer. If your dad does it, that may be the way to go.

Good luck!

blazeno.8

What I heard from a friend of mine who tried it, face shots are the best. She's incredibly tall and took some pictures that showcased that and I guess all of the people who looked at her pics were like: that's nice, but where are all of the head shots?
Then again, that was when she was in Brazil, so I'm not sure that everyone acts the same way.

Others friends have just responded to stuff on Craigslist.

DancingBrave

Also, use myspace,facebook, and twitter to meet up with other local models. They often have designer and artist friends who you can model for as well. Make contacts!

DancingBrave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xladydragon

NO! You may not get a toothpaste ad, but you certainly can model with less than perfect teeth. It does matter how irregular they are though. Most people have some body issues. Its part of life. Also, if you're not in a major market those irregularities become more common.

Willa

Model Mayhem is great but I suggest you to go read their forum

There's a lot of infos there, includding understanding the whole ''TFP'' drama
A lot of photographers right now, even the ones who have the money to pay the models and MUA, don't pay, because TFP is too easy... And I suggest you to work with photographers who have a good name because you can be ripped off and never receive the pictures.

I did a photoshoot event back in march and I only receive crappy pictures from 2 photographers, and I had to complain on the board that organized the event... yesterday I received one cd.

winks.gif

Tahti

Basic photos in good lighting - head shot, full body (in plain clothing, so as to not distract from your face.) Don't wear anything distracting either in your headshots - like glasses, or over styled hair (pulled off face is the best) or a lot of makeup.

Good shots to send to an agency are usually a face on headshot, a 3/4 length with profile and a full length.. Natural lighting is the best, with a simple background.

Good luck, I think you've got a great look! Plus you're tall enough for the job ;D

MissResha

well, i think you'd made a great model. ur so gorgeous and very photogenic. i cant wait to see you on billboards!

chiquilla_loca

You have stunning features & from seeing fotd's & other posts (like the Lady Gaga post) you are very photogenic and have lots of potential.
I wish you the best of luck! and would luv to see some modeling shots when you get them.

Latest posts