Moving from Texas to Kansas...

nelyanaphonexia

So, I just wanted to share with everyone on here that I will be moving from Texas to Kansas.
cry.gif

My fiancé just got a job in Kansas City (Overland Park area) and I will be leaving my beloved state.
ssad.gif
I've lived in Texas my whole life (all over the state though) I will also be very sad to say goodbye to the PRO store in Dallas.
ssad.gif

So, are there any lovely ladies here from Kansas? I've only been to Overland Park once to help my fiancé move. I liked the general feel of the city, the trees and hills were nice and I got to visit the freestanding store at the Country Club Plaza.
smiles.gif
Everything seemed nice, but I also know NOTHING about Kansas or Kansas City. I also looked up the nearest CCO and I think it was somewhere in central MO...is that right?

So, if anyone here has any info on Kansas City - like good places to eat, where to live (we don't have a place yet!!!
shockt.gif
) and other fun stuff about the city PLEASE post here!
th_worship.gif
I would be eternally grateful if I could get some useful tips from y'all!

concertina

I'm not from Kansas, but I *did* live in Junction City, KS for three years and visited KC quite a few times.

The weather in Kansas will throw your skin for a loop. It is *windy* and not humid in the slightest. The landscape is pretty different, depending on what part of Texas you're used to. I think Amarillo is the closet landscape to KC...but with more hills. Eastern KS actually has hills.

KC is a big city, but you *are* still in the middle of the country. So seafood/sushi is going to be more expensive and you'll have to be more selective. You've got just about all your major chains there, as well.

I'd suggest starting to scout out yelp and the like:
Kansas City Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

Find the alternative weekly paper for KC online and start reading about local events. That'll help you get a feel for the culture of the place.

Hope that helps.
smiles.gif

nelyanaphonexia

^^ thanks so much for the info! Right now I live in Lubbock, which is really windy, so hopefully KS won't be much more windy.
smiles.gif
I'm excited about the lack of humidity. I hate humid climates, I used to live on the Texas coast and I had just about enough of that for a lifetime.
tong.gif