• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

mskitchmas' pressed pigments guide and photos

MacVirgin

Wow that's awesome! i'm still so impressed with this 'pro pressing' you do
smiles.gif

Classic Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitchmas
I've tried almost all 8 that I've pressed and the color doesn't seem to be affected at all. And I spill much less!

I did want to mention that I used the 92% Isopropyl Alcohol instead of the 70. I thought with less water in it, they would dry faster.

What are the names of the clamps that you used? Where did you purchase all of your supplies?

mskitchmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVirgin
Wow that's awesome! i'm still so impressed with this 'pro pressing' you do
smiles.gif

Thanks so much! It's kinda fun and relaxing after a crazy-ass day at work!

mskitchmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Beauty
What are the names of the clamps that you used? Where did you purchase all of your supplies?

The clamps are called "c" clamps, you can get them at any hardware store. The tins/pots came from Wet-n-Wild eyeshadows that I bought at the drugstore, scooped out the shadow, and took apart the plastic container with a blade and straight-iron. The alcohol, you can get at any druggist/pharmacy. And the fabric to make the imprint I just had lying around the house from an old sewing project. and the quarters to press came from the laundry money!

type.gif

mskitchmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_2color
wow! beautifully done. i seriously must try this. i just need to get my hands on some empty pans and some fabric
smiles.gif

are you planning on doing more?

Yep, I will. Not sure which ones though. I have only 3-4 pigments left to press.

Hmmm. Maybe I need to buy some more pigments? hee hee
graucho.gif

Cheaper than therapy. And less troublesome than vodka.
smiles.gif

scrapbookromance

I got two cheapy wet & wild eyeshadows today, and some 91% isoblahblah alcohol - attempting to press my blue brown and softwash gray tonight
smiles.gif
very excited!!

capspock

eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif

Now let me ask you something... how is the texture of chunky pigments like Kitchmas after pressing? Do they get easier to apply, or as soon as you sweep it the little chunks appear again?

mskitchmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by capspock
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif
eyelove.gif

Now let me ask you something... how is the texture of chunky pigments like Kitchmas after pressing? Do they get easier to apply, or as soon as you sweep it the little chunks appear again?

Hmm. Not sure about the 'chunkiness' you are referring to. But I can say that all of the pigments seem easier to apply after they are pressed in that I am able to control how much I can get on the brush. There is less 'flying about' of pigments, on me, the counter, the floor...

They are softer and more powdery than a real eyeshadow.

Hopefully this helps.

wavey.gif

Makeupluvr

These look GORGEOUS! If I weren't so against putting rubbing alcohol (albeit dried rubbing alcohol) in my face/eye area, I would be ALL OVER THIS! Thanks for posting the pics, they look GORGEOUS!

Could you post some pics of you wearing the pigments that you've pressed? I am curious to see what the color/finish payoff is. If not, can you tell me if the color/finish is any different than when you apply the colors in loose form? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskitchmas
Here are some more pigments I've pressed this week!
wavey.gif

Kristen

I'm not sure exactly where to post this.. but has anyone tried pressing the metallic pigments? I have a jar of copper.. but using it is SOOO messy (the pigment ended up getting into the jars' threads). Do the metallic shadows contain any binders that would allow it to work? I don't want to wreck my jar since they only come with 2.5g to begin with..

pugmommy7

i think somewhere in livejournal land there is a list of pigments that can and connot be successfully pressed. unfortunately,I do not have a link. I do know that many will crumble and it is advised to only press those that have the tendancy to ball up in the jar-please correct me if that is wrong.

I am so excited to try this, but i still need to hit up home depot for a c-clamp
smiles.gif
dh didn't have one in the garage
ssad.gif
planning on doing blue brown,gold dusk,apricot pink, sunpepper. i love that there is a neater way to use pigs!!

Cool Kitten

i pressed my Golden olive and Teal, and while they don't look nearly as profesional as the ones Mskitchmas pressed they're so much easier to use than rergular pigments...No more fall-off, and the color wasn't affected at all.

anuy

i prssed my pigment and used fix + as my mixing agent opposed to rubbing alch and they took a lot longer to dry but in the end, turned out fabulous!!

banana

How do you depot wet 'n' wild eyeshadows? I have one that I am dying to put into a mac palette but I can't fathom a way of depotting without breaking it.

duch3ss25

don't press the metallic ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen
I'm not sure exactly where to post this.. but has anyone tried pressing the metallic pigments? I have a jar of copper.. but using it is SOOO messy (the pigment ended up getting into the jars' threads). Do the metallic shadows contain any binders that would allow it to work? I don't want to wreck my jar since they only come with 2.5g to begin with..

i pressed copper, gold & platinum and everything was fine until i started to press them then everything was a mess! the metallics do not seem to adhere together as the other pigments and so i just keep these in pots. hth!

lvgz

i love it! ive always wanted to press my piggies, but i dont want to damage my eyes or take the chance with alcohol. anything else i can use.. besides fix+ and alcohol?

Latest posts