Musings on Selling Stuff

redrosary

Forgive me if this isn't the right board to post this, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

I've been selling, or trying to sell, some of my unwanted MAC stuff this week. Experience is the best teacher and I just have some stuff I'm thinking about and wanted some input.

With some of the more unpopular quads that don't sell, would it be worth a shot to depot the shadows and try to sell them off that way (plus the empty quad palette)?

What about single e/s shades? If it's not selling BNIB, it might be worth a try to depot it and sell it at a way-reduced price (but I'd keep the empty for a future Back2MAC).

Also, does anyone else experience getting comments and/emails saying "Ooh, I want X!" then getting one ten minutes later saying, "Sorry, I can't pay for it right now."? It's annoying, but is this just the nature of the online selling beast? I was thinking of adding a "Serious Inquiries Only" line to my standard price/shipping info blurb, but would that turn buyers off?

Like I said, input is welcome. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just wanting to discuss the issue.

midnightlouise

Well here's my 2 cents: If I was a buyer (and I often am lol!) I would love to buy e/s pans at a reduced price. I always de-pot mine anyway, and sometimes it's just easier if they are already in pan form so I don't have to mess with it!
greengrin.gif
And if the quads don't sell, then why not de-pot them? It wouldn't hurt to try if you're sure they're not going to sell as a quad. Also you'll get lots of folks that will do that last part, I think sometimes because they get excited & want to buy, then realize they really can't afford it. It's happened to me on ebay. Aggravating, but like you say, it's the nature of the beast
greengrin.gif
Oh, and if you said "serious inquires only" it wouldn't put me off at all. But then I only inquire of I'm serious, so....

Unseelie

ah ja, though as a "newbie buyer" - there's something about the BNIB that denotes a certain safety to the product. i know it's new, the condition of the box is a clue to age and the care it's had, and also i know the shadow itself is going to survive shipping in great shape.

i haven't done this yet, but i worry about the day i buy a depotted e/s from a 14 year old who has battered the pan, overcooked the e/s with scorch marks, and then folded it up in a sheet of notebook paper to ship in a plain white envelope. but then i'm weird.
th_confused_new.gif

then again, if it's a less popular shade, it may be something that a more determined or dedicated and experienced user is looking for, and they'll trust another users depotting technique. {i admit it now, i typed sk1llz just to have a laugh, then backspaced it out.}

Cheers!

redrosary

I posted pics of the shadows I depotted & I think that helps a buyer make a decision. Surprisingly, I sold a shadow that I put a ding in (but I discounted it BIG TIME, too).

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosary

Also, does anyone else experience getting comments and/emails saying "Ooh, I want X!" then getting one ten minutes later saying, "Sorry, I can't pay for it right now."?

That upsets me as well. {edited to tone down the post}
greengrin.gif

lenjhn

I've learned that even if it's used a tiny bit, most people won't buy unless it's discounted deeply. I understand too, why would I buy a used pan at $1-$2 off when I could have a new one for not much more? Although I ideally would like close to retail for my lesser used items, deep discounts are usually the only way to go. And if someone renegs on a purchase inquiry, then I usually won't sell to them later.
smiles.gif