My Dad

joytheobscure

My dad has been in the hospital since Monday night, he's had a fever since last Thursday, running 102 all week in the hospital on antibiotics. He is in Veterans hospital, all week waiting to see the urologist, they know he has a large stone in his kidney and also a bladder stone. They think that is causing the infection (I'm not totally convinced that he doesnt' have the flu to top it off). But my dad is irritable and cranky normally on a good day - overbearing-- know it all kind of guy, LOL!! But in the hospital with bad coffee no mountain dew and limited tobacco he's horrible. Not a good patient- LOL.

I stayed with him until 9 to see the Doctor last night and they never made their rounds, I was mad, we don't know what they are going to do and he's ready to check himself out - but I'm worried about his health and my mom and brother went up today and probably stayed a whole ten or fifteen minutes when I went up and stayed three hours last night it makes me mad at them, my brother went to church last night in the city and never came by the hospital.. I know I hate being stuck in a hospital by myself.

I'm tired I've had a long week and one more day to work...
ssad.gif
I wish we knew what they are going to do -- instead of keep saying "we're waiting for you to see the urologist" - So I'm pissed off that nothing has been done for him I know he's not as bad as people in with heart and lung problems... but dangit... He's had kidney stones off and on for 25 years and usually passes them - the bladder stone he's had one removed in 2001. He says he won't have surgery. My dad is 68 and very active and an ebay addict. He likes to be busy making money and buying and selling old tractors..that whole addiction to one thing runs in the family - he quit thinking I'm crazy about makeup when I sold a used temperley pallette for more than what I gave for it.

lovejam

That sucks... I hope those doctors get off their asses and do something about this, because it sounds like they're neglecting him. He's a patient too, so he should be looked after just like everyone else. Especially with a high fever!

But, it's good of you to stay with him like you've been doing. I'm sure he appreciates it.
smiles.gif

Cruella

Unfortunately, VA hospitals tend to suck a bit, not that regular hospitals are Club Med either. You might have to be really pushy with the doctors/staff to get information. Be polite but firm because they will ignore you otherwise. I had to deal with hospitals constantly when both my parents were ill so ask lots of questions and write stuff down if you can - it can become amazingly confusing.

Good luck to you & to your dad
smiles.gif

joytheobscure

Thanks, well he got pushy today and got released, they changed his antibiotics finally and gave him some kind of quinine (sp) and came home still with a fever but they think he's passed a few kidney stones. I'm glad he's home, I mean if he's going to be sick running a fever just taking pills he's more comfortable at home. Thats sad that VA Hospitals are worse, the rest of the family uses the Indian Hospitals, and they are really good with their health care.

Latest posts