My Demo + some questions...

onionbooty

I applied 3 months ago and finally got called to do a demo. I was only given 1-1.5 days to find a model and all friends at school and family having their own business' to be at.. my model that I could grab for the day unfortunately was allergic to a few products..

Anyways, I started by coming in while the regional was having her makeup applied by another artist who was doing her demo (because we were told on such short notice) I was told to get my items to do a day to night look.

I did a natural brown look and then darkened it with some carbon and black tied with some electra on the tear ducts for sparkle.

During the process, she didn't hover over me or anything, and the current artist was actually giving me tips and whatnot. While I was applying makeup to my model, the regional and artists complimented my attire and makeup. I felt good doing what I was doing even though I WAS SO NERVOUS!

She asked why my model didn't have on lipstick/liner.. because she breaks out like crazy! So I just applied lipglass (which eventually irritated her a couple of hours later) and she did not want mascara (she breaks out too) so I was asked to apply an empty wand on her.

After the demo, we went to the back room where she asked me questions like:
What products do you have on?
Where do you see yourself in 3 months?
What do you love about MAC?
What is your biggest challenge?
Do I have a problem with stocking/cleaning?
Where do I work now/Would it be a problem to leave?
When can I start?

I answered all these nervously, and she asked me if I had any questions... I couldn't think of any except "am I hired, am I hired" so I asked her, the only thing that's crossing my mind is if I'm hired....

She told me that I was on top of her list, that she liked my look, the execution of my models makeup, etc... but she couldn't promise me anything. She also said that the artist working said a lot of nice things about me and she complimented me alot.

We ended the interview with a hug, a firm handshake, a "thank you" for the opportunity!

She walked back to the counter, once again complimenting me on her shoes! She complimented them at least 5 times... it was 4 inch heels!

She said it would be a week or so that they'll hire on a couple of people... so since it's almost been a week.. my nerves are KILLING ME!

So my questions are....
When should I call her to follow up?... Because the number I have is her voicesystem number.
And what are you guys opinions? I thought my interview went pretty well but then again, I don't wanna think I nailed it to only get shut down...

My friends try to tell me to not worry, but I can't stop thinking. I know it won't be the end of the world, but it would be a pleasure to work for MAC! (I'm sure you girls feel the same!)

TIA
smiles.gif

MAC*GIRL08

Well it's already been a week so i would call and follow up. It can't hurt, it's what I did and it paid off!
Good luck!

onionbooty

YAY. My worrying can finally end.. haha. I got a call from her today and she gave me a number to call tomorrow for a phone interview. I'm so excited!!!

So another question, anyone got any details about this phone interview?

Thanks in advance!

arewethereyeti

I can't give you any insight towards the phone interview since it wasn't a part of my interview process, but I wanted to say good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!

onionbooty

So here's an update. Yesterday I came to the counter to ask the regional manager about the job, and she said she was meaning to call me to offer me a position as a freelance artist. I'm pretty bummed that I didn't get the part-time position, but at least I got my foot in the door...

I come in to fill paperwork next week since I'll be out of town this weekend... how exciting

OfficerJenny

That's a bummer you didn't get the position you were going for :c

but hey, freelance is better then nothing!
greengrin.gif

Congrats!

KikiB

Look at it as a blessing because yeah, you may not have gotten what you wanted but it's a way to get to know the people at the counters and how the counters themselves run and to get some experience-so that you can blow them away when you apply for a permanent post.

erine1881

almost everyone starts out as freelance in the states. they probably hired one of the existing freelancers for the part-time spot.

congrats tho! you got your foot in the door, and you never know. the next permanent spot to open up might just have your name on it. i did one freelance event (i didn't do anyone's makeup at all cause the event was DEAD!!!), but got called two weeks later for a part-time spot that just opened up.

just keep working on your skills and product knowledge, and keep an ear out for any openings that you can apply for.

babyjazy21

Hey Hun! Congrats on getting the position!!
thmbup.gif

I have to agree with everyone else, the freelance position will give you the opportunity to see what its really like to work at MAC and im sure there will be many opportunities for you to become perm. Show them that you really want to become perm and im sure you will get it!

User49

Don't be bummed out. I had a friend that was a freelance artist with us for one year... she's now going on to be an assistant manager!
smiles.gif
It's a great way to get to know more about the brand and if you are really passionate about the company and help them out when they need you it will eventually pay off!!
smiles.gif