my dog died and i feel horrible

cicconeyouth

is it supposed to hurt this bad when you dog dies? i'm so sad that my entire body aches. nothing feels right. i tried to go get some retail therapy today but it just made me feel worse. i can't stop crying. i feel like i'll never be complete again, like a large part of me has died. can anyone relate or give me advice?

in case you're interested, this my post from lj about my dog:

r.i.p.
stormie church
1991 - 2006
DSCN0027.jpg

we just found a brain tumor today and had to put him to sleep.
everything was too sudden, as he has been in awesome health his whole life.
i'm sad but i'm glad he's out of whatever pain/discomfort he was in.
he was the best dog for our family for the last 13 years.
i will miss him dearly.​

sbcruz23

sorry to hear about your dog!!!! =( i own five pitbulls, and i love em so much. i would hate for that day to come for me!!! hang in there, he's in a good place.....

bAbY_cHiCkEn01

Hey babe, that blows... and to me, I believe that it's "normal"... I haven't had anything so tragic happen to me *yet*, but if I were to lose my kitten (okay so shes 2 1/2 LOL), I'd be completely lost, to me she is my child...
Just remember he has gone to a better place, and you did the humane thing by "releasing" him. I can imagine how much it hurts... so just take things easy and know that soon you will feel okay...

*sorry for the long rant...*

Hawkeye

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Yes, it is perfectly normal. Animals in a way do become apart of your family a part of you they are amazing things. Don't be too sad you'll see your puppy again
smiles.gif

MissMarley

yes, it's completely normal. it hurts so bad. just remember how much you loved stormie, and remember how happy you made him.

user3

IMO losing a pet is just like losing a loved one (human). We attach ourselves to them and truely love them.

Think about how lucky you are to have had such a lovely pet.
I hope you feel better soon. *hugs*

Shawna

It sounds like he had a great life and a great owner so what more could a dog ask for? I lost my pet cockatiel 10 years ago and I cried straight for 3 days. I couldn't get out of bed or eat or anything. I was devestated. Everyone made fun of me for being upset about a bird, but he was my companion when I moved away from home for the first time and he helped me study and often fell asleep with me and I would wake up and he was on my pillow all fluffed up right by my head. People just don't understand how attached you can become to a pet and I really feel your loss
ssad.gif
You feel free to pm me if you just want someone to talk to
smiles.gif

Pink_lily

it's perfectly okay to be so upset about losing a loved member of your family. a lot of people don't seem to realize that a dog, a cat, a bird, or any other pet easily becomes a member of the family. you love them, you care about them, and for many people, a pet can be like a sibling or a best friend. i'm dreading the day, years i hope from now, when my kitties pass because they are my babies.

in june 2004, my parents had to put our golden retriever to sleep after the arthritis in her spine became too much for her to bear. i was devastated, especially when my mom called me on my way to work to tell me that Cinnamon was being put down that day. i was a mess at work all day (i was a host in a restaurant, how was i supposed to be happy and cheery?!) and begged my mom to wait until i could get to the vet's office to be with the dog when she passed. i was so heartbroken that i didn't go to work for the next two days - i just stayed in bed and cried my eyes out. Cinnamon had been with my family for 11 out of her 13 years, and she was there for me through a lot of hard times. after a while i realized though that it was Cinnamon's time to go and that she had a lived a very long, very happy life, just like your Stormie did. he had a wonderful family that cared about him very much, and while it hurts, i know, you did do the right thing. now he's playing with other pups, and one day you will see him again. no one thinks you're being silly for caring so much. just think of all the wonderful times you spent together, and carry a memento with you. i carry a picture of cinnamon with me in my wallet, and at home i have a small sandcast of a dog, with cinnamon's collar surrounding it. take your time with grieving. it'll be okay, i promise. *hug*

Shimmer

Yes it's supposed to feel this bad! You just lost someone who loved you unconditionally for years!

Take your time to grieve hon...and as others have said, after the grieving passes and acceptance comes you'll know in your soul that the best thing for him was for him to be let go.
*hug*

Cool Kitten

*hugs to you*
yeah, it hurts so bad! I lost my first cat Vinny 4 years ago, and i still cry every time i think about him.

mspixieears

I'm so sorry hon, but yes, like others have said, I do think it's normal that it hurts. They become family, and I know that if anything happened to my cat...I'd be inconsolable, he's my best friend.

I know it's hard hon, but just think that at least he isn't suffering or in any pain, and that you did a wonderful thing for him, as watching him pass away in pain would be awful for both of you
ssad.gif
It's a bummer how sometimes the right thing to do is the hardest.

Perhaps you can have a memorial service for him? To celebrate just how special he obviously was to your family.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

My dog died of a brain tumor about 6 months ago. I cried for weeks.. . we took him to the vet to see what was wrong with him.. They put him under , and he never woke up
oh.gif
( It was so very sad. we werent expecting him to die, went to go pick him up and the vet said " im sorry. hes passed" we were like " whhhhhaaatt!" I DEFINITLY know exactly how you feel. Ive had to go thru this 2 times. and its awful every single time. .Im so very sorry.

poddygirl

Lots of hugs! Of course you have every right to feel sad, mopey or however you want! Take your time to get over your loss and cherish the memories you have of Stormie. Perhaps it would help to plant a tree or flowering plant of some sort in your yard so that you have a lasting
tribute ? Sending you good thoughts in this tough time ...

cicconeyouth

i just want to thank you all for your kind words, they mean alot to me. your stories made me cry, but i really loved hearing everything you had to say. i'm feeling a little better today, but it still hurts so much.

midnightlouise

I'm so sorry about your loss. I lost a beloved cat some time ago to cancer and it still causes a pang when I think of him or see his pictures. It was very sudden, too. He had been doing so well, had been living with the cancer for 3 years and then all of a sudden one night I guess he had a stroke or something. It was literally gut-wrenching. He was so much a part of the family, and he comforted us and got us through some bad times. Just try to remember all of the great times you had with your dog, and remember that you did the kindest thing for him, and I know he knew how much you loved him! (((hugs))) and prayers going out to you.

coachkitten

Stormie sounds like he was such a good boy. I hope that you take as much time as you need to cry and think about Stormie. He will be looking down on you always! Big hugs and you and Stormie are in my thoughts.

Amymo

Thirteen years is a long time hon, its only natural that you feel so sad. Remember all the happy times you had together, and don't forget how happy you made his life because there are lots of dogs out there that won't have had such a warm and loving family life.

My BFs dog is getting very old now and we are so sad about her, I remember how scared I was when I first went to meet his family, because I'm really painfully shy, but this beautiful collie with gorgeous eyes bounded up and made me feel so at home, I have fed her icecream for the last five years to say thank you and I hope that I have made her as comfy as she has made me! x

giz2000

Your feelings were totally normal. Your dog was a member of your family...it hurts just as much as if you were to lose a human family member.

I've lost two of my dogs over the past year...both had to be put down for illnesses. I cried like a baby, and still miss them dearly. But I take heart that they're in a better place - wherever that may be - healthy and happy once again.

Hope you're feeling better...
smiles.gif

Miss World

what you are feeling is perfectly normal. to most people, pets end up being a part of your family, a part of your life... I used to own 2 dogs, and a cat when I was younger.. my parents couldn't stand them eventually they gave my dogs away
ssad.gif
although its been years (like over 15 years!) i still miss them and want them back! and my cat, poor thing got really sick and died.. i felt so bad back then, and I still miss my cat, that was 10 years ago next month.. psychologicaly I've developed an allergy to both cats and dogs! I can't even touch any of them without getting a rash for days.. medically, there is nothing wrong with me and I even got tested for allergies, but its only in my head the doctor says -- its so real to me though.

don't feel bad about how you feel right now. its your every right to feel like there is something missing and it hurts.. but time does heal wounds. and eventually you'll have the good memories of the good times you had ... you'd still miss your dog, but it will get better

*hugs*

I do hope you feel better .. and if you need to talk, just do it

Vicky88

So sorry to hear about this. I know it was a while ago but I went through a similar thing in September and just wanted to tell you that's it's perfectly understandable to feel like you are.

My dog was in perfect health, he was a lil bit fat but that was just funny, but over the course of three days he got terribly ill and we had to put him to sleep. It was sooo sudden.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling a lot better now.
smiles.gif