My dreams are scaring me

NicksWifey

I figured this would be an appropriate sub forum to post this thread, so if not, mods, please redirect my thread elsewhere
winks.gif

I've been having these crazy plane crash dreams for about 2 months now. It's not the first time in my life, as in the past, I can remember like one vivid dream a year about all of the planes in the sky, falling out of the sky and crashing all around me, as well as space shuttles and space satellites. I started to notice in September that the dreams were becoming more frequent and more vivid. Several times, I had woken up in the middle of the night in a panic and sweat over these horrendous dreams. I figured maybe I just had a secret thing for aircraft, but no. It has gotten worse. On September 20, a low flying 737 circled over my brother's house several times during my nephew's birthday party. It shook the ground so violently and made such a loud "WOOOOOOSH" that I freaked out, along with everyone else. Keep in mind, he lives in a super rural area and the nearest airport for a jet airliner of that size is an hour away at Dulles Airport outside of DC.

After that, the dreams got worse about crashing aircraft and planes just falling out of the sky in general. A few weeks have went by since my last really bad plane crash dream, but I did see a shooting star streak by in the sky last night while I was at my parents house. It was an amazing sight to see, but it also upset me because of all of the crazy plane dreams I've had. At first, I thought it was a plane crashing, it was burning up and going to fast and then my mom said it was a shooting star and I had never seen one of those in person, so close before! Lo and behold, last night I dreampt of Stealth bombers taking off all around me in different directions, only to come crashing back down.

I think why these dreams disturb me so much is because I fear there will be a plane crash soon. I know of several helicopter crashes in the last couple of months and even the Lear jet crash with DJ AM & Travis Barker, but still, it's just freaking me out and I'm afraid.

TamiChoi

Aw, sorry you're having nightmares like that girl. I get some weird ass dreams too because I think too much. Also, it can be of stress? Idk so much about dreams, but I know the reason for my nightmares, is because I usually think about things [the things in my dreams] too much. I hope you're okay and don't worry/think too much!

chocolategoddes

Maybe their is some subliminal, subconcious, sub-something else meaning that goes beyond the obvious.

According to some random dream symbol meaning site, plane crashes mean:
A fear or feeling of something catastrophic happening that's out of your control
Feeling things are out of control somehow in your life right now, or a feeling that you're having bad luck or things just aren't going your way right no

OohJeannie

Its crazy....I have those dreams sometimes too. At times they get crazy like hijackings etc....and I'm a FLIGHT ATTENDANT! I'm sure its nothing maybe you've just been stressed out.

concertina

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolategoddes
Maybe their is some subliminal, subconcious, sub-something else meaning that goes beyond the obvious.

According to some random dream symbol meaning site, plane crashes mean:
A fear or feeling of something catastrophic happening that's out of your control
Feeling things are out of control somehow in your life right now, or a feeling that you're having bad luck or things just aren't going your way right no

This was my first thought. When I used to dream about plane crashes/shuttle crashes it was 1) within the first few months after the Colombia explosion (a great many of the 'pieces' fell in my small town) and 2) before my college graduation AND wedding that occurred within 1 month of each other and just 3 months after the crash.

I felt out of control of my life and without base or direction. I was preparing for final education exams, planning my wedding and trying to find a job. I could not of been more stressed.

You've recently had a lot happen in your life. I can only imagine what your brain is dealing with while you're asleep.

I would journal after every dream and try to pinpoint the exact emotions I was feeling and what was happening in the dream when I felt them. Once I was able to identify what was happening and why I felt the way I did and made the connections, the dreams went away.

TISH1124

I have a book of dreams somewhere I used to read...i will have to dig for it...

Don't be getting mad at me...Just copying and pasting!!

Airplane Crash
To dream that a plane crashes, suggests that you have set overly high and unrealistic goals for yourself. Your goals may be too high and are impossible to realize. You are in danger of having it come crashing down. Alternatively, your lack of confidence, self-defeating attitude and self-doubt toward the goals you have set for yourself is represented by the crashing airplane; you do not believe in your ability to attain those goals. Loss of power and uncertainty in achieving your goals are also signified.

Willa

Sometimes you have to look at your dreams on another level
Like I always dream about escaping something, some situations, even zombies and monsters...

The fact is : I always ran away from my problems, and my dreams keep telling me to stop. I guess I'll keep dreaming about this untill I change what I have to...

I also have 2 books on dream interpretations, and they say about the same things that Tish mentionned.

NicksWifey

As much as I agree with a lot of dream interpretations that you can read in books and online, I just find it really odd, that's all.
My mom told me she has started to dream of plane crashes recently too.

I'm not sure if it's because I created this thread last night, but once again, I did dream of planes last night! This time, I dreampt I was in a park lying on my back in the grass when a low flying jet airliner, much like the one that went over my brother's house that day, flew by and I almost blew away by the force, lol. At least it didn't crash this time!

Mabelle

Ugh. I hope these stop soon. I know what it's like to be constantly waking up from nightmares. A couple years ago i would have them about every night. Not always about the same subject, but still. Anyway, i hope you figure them out.

FullWroth

Are you on any medications? Some medications list strange, vivid dreams among their side effects.

In addition, it could just be recurring because it's something you're really, really afraid of and your brain's decided right now might be a good time to unload that phobia a bit. I have recurring nightmares about tornadoes all the time, but they come and go in batches. Usually I'll have a few in a row (or within short time periods of each other) and then that's it for a while.

I've never personally witnessed a tornado. Nobody I know has been affected by one. Michigan does get them, but not in huge numbers and usually with very low F numbers. They just scare the crap out of me on a primal level with no logical justification behind it and my brain knows that.

Simply Elegant

I'm sorry to hear that but you can do some things to help make them go away. Something happened to me and I had at least 4-8 nightmares about the same thing for a week.

Don't think of anything when you go to bed. Just try to focus on sleeping and that's it. Don't think it's going to happen again or worry about it, because realistically if a plane did come down you wouldn't have much time to predict it coming near you. If you're really stressed, this could be your body's way of letting you know that you really need to take some time for yourself and relax.

Dreamergirl3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa
Sometimes you have to look at your dreams on another level
Like I always dream about escaping something, some situations, even zombies and monsters...

The fact is : I always ran away from my problems, and my dreams keep telling me to stop. I guess I'll keep dreaming about this untill I change what I have to...

I also have 2 books on dream interpretations, and they say about the same things that Tish mentionned.

Wow, that's pretty much how most of my dreams are, too! I'm always escaping something, just like you. Same thing right down to Zombies! But at least I feel should the Zombie Apocalypse occur I'll be somewhat prepared, LOL! Often times, I dream about water and drowning...like tsunamis, typhoons, I'm always engulfed by water. According to dream dictionaries this symbolizes a feeling of being overwhelmed emotionally, something that totally resonates with me. I tend to run away from my problems as well.

NicksWifey, I'm so sorry you're having these dreams. Dreams like that can shake you to your core and make you wonder what's going on upstairs.

How do you feel in your dream when these things are going on? Obviously you are scared, but try and get specific. Recording your dreams in a diary when you wake up helps too since you can look back on them later, and see what symbols and feelings are always the same and which ones change. I wish I could be of more help but I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I think if you keep an open mind you should be able to figure out why you're having these dreams.

Try not to eat sugary foods/treats too soon before bed. Whenever I have a slice of cake before bed or something sweet as a midnight snack, it's almost a guarantee that I'll have some bizarre nonsensical dreams.

hth and that you can get a restful nights sleep soon!

benzito_714

well i am going through something similar but my mind races before i go to sleep and it always ends on death and the end of the world (i am really sorry for being the party pooper and i hope that no one gets scared or offended with me admitting this). i have decided that i am having these dreams because of my overwhelming spirit of defeat and fear. this is the first time in my life where i have not been able to make things happen. i sit at home all day with my daughter, go to work at CVS and then go to school. i have virtually no time with my husband and i do feel that if i keep this up it will put a serious strain on my marriage. to combat this i have been listening to alot of gospel music and trying to get out the house.
on another note i have been dreaming of flirting with ex-boyfriends and going to third base with random men. now this speaks to a whole 'nother part of me that is just so damn horny but can't have sex with her husband because there aren't enough hours in the day. although it just flirting and heavy petting
th_LMAO.gif
this scares me because i value foreplay more than i do sex. am i weird?
th_dunno.gif

NicksWifey

I went out today and bought myself a Flight Simulator game by Microsoft, lol
winks.gif
I think it's the best way to overcome my fears. I'm still downloading it and it's taking forever, but I can't wait to try it.

kimmy

concertina, when the columbia exploded i had some of the most horrific dreams that put me inside the shuttle before it happened. i had them every night for like two weeks. it was awful.

back to the original topic though...i used to have really awful dreams when i was a kid. i'd wake up in the middle of the night barely able to breathe, sweating profusely and just plain flat out SCARED. i would always have dreams about some crazy violent drive-by or some bloody shootout that always would take place at the gate to my backyard. i realize now that i had those dreams when i was afraid of something else, and when i didn't understand whatever it was i was afraid of...when i got older and i started understanding those things, the bad dreams stopped. i had a dream just the other night that was mildly disturbing, but nothing like what i had when i was a kid, i swear those things must have bordered on night terrors.

i agree with what chocolategoddes said, that the plane crashes probably symbolize something that is going on which you have no control over. there's something your subconcious knows that you may or may not already be aware of, so i think you'll be doing yourself a favour listening to your intuition during this time. facing your fear of plane crashes with the video game won't hurt either.
winks.gif

NicksWifey

Actually, one of the astronauts who died in the Columbia explosion, he was from the county that I grew up in. His parents still lived there and I remember the news was all over them like stink on shit. I felt so bad for them.

Kalico

I've had a few disturbing dreams similar to this. Twice I've dreamed of hurricanes (once I was being pummeled by a wave, the second one I watched as the water receded into the ocean) the night of a hurricane. That was years ago though... I think it was '04? Once was before NO got wrecked, and again when there was one somewhere in Asia. I can't remember where but it was all over the news at the time.

But I also have very horrific, vivid, and violent dreams when I'm in dark places in life. I'm ashamed to tell anyone details because I'm sure I'd be locked up in a loony bin. But they happen when I feel like I'm spiraling downwards and feel out of control of whatever is happening. I know I need to change something in my life ASAP when I get these dreams.

Latest posts