My first attempt at dramatic eye makeup (pic heavy)

dreamer246

As you may or may not know, I hardly ever put on eye makeup because I have very sensitive eyes. But I have a performance tomorrow, so it's one of the rare occasions where I get to dress up my eyes.
winks.gif

To cut a long story short, I had planned to go for a makeover at MAC (it would've been my first), but the counter said they weren't doing makeovers on the day of my performance coz there'll only be one MA at the counter.
ssad.gif
Which leaves me with no choice but to handle my own makeup! God I am so worried: how is an eye-makeup noob going to churn out a professional looking smokey eye?
shockt.gif
nope.gif

Anyhow I decided to do a trial of the look at home today. CC please, and don't be harsh on me, as I said it's only my first attempt.
th_rolleye0014.gif
I must say the outcome wasn't as disastrous as I had thought it would be though.
greengrin.gif

Eyes:
UDPP, Silky Girl cosmetics e/s in Wild Fantasy and Smokey Spark, MAC Bright Side/Gallery Girl MES, MAC Fashion Patch MES, MAC Navy Stain eyeliner

Face: MAC Studio Fix powder foundation in NC35, MAC Blooming blush, MAC Emote blush, MAC Refined Golden Bronzer

Lips: MAC Beurre l/l, MAC Kirsch mattene l/s

Lips: MAC A Rose Romance l/s

Lips: MAC Hot Tahiti l/s (my least fave combi)

Lips: MAC Up The Amp l/s

Let me know which l/s goes better with the rest of my makeup, please? I'm trying to create a rock chick with a hint of girly-ness look, I don't want to scare the audience if I make it look too dark/gothic. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to shout out.
th_wink3.gif

Thank you so much for looking!
smiles.gif

rockin26

Hey sweetie I think you've done great for a first attempt! My only cc would be that you seem to have a bit of fallout on the tops of you lashes, you could try and apply some mascara on the top of the lashes to black that out then apply as normal. I'd also rec a little more blending between the brow and the blue. Maybe a 224 or 217 brush lightly swept back and forth between the 2 colours to soften the line?

Just my opinion, good luck with the performance
smiles.gif

revoltofagirl

I like the second lipcolor best. I think the first lipcolor would work great with a more neutral eyeshadow.
smiles.gif
break a leg at the performance (or good luck!)

claralikesguts

definitely ARR l/s looks the best! it balances out the eyes
smiles.gif
i'm typically not one to follow the rules, but i'm not too fond of dramatic eyes with dramatic lips.

baby_phat_phat

I agree that the second lip looks the best with it. Great first post!

I would recommend toning down the lower lashline color - IMO, it goes too low. Also, blending the blues would make it look better.

dreamer246

Thank you all for the CC and suggestions! I will pair A Rose Romance l/s with the eye makeup, since that seems to be the fave among you ladies.
yes.gif

The performance is in four and a half hours time, I can't wait! I'll be singing.
greengrin.gif

TISH1124

Winnie...you know I am biased to pink so I love the Rose Romance lippie on you...But Kirsch is great on you too

dreamer246

Thank you Tish!
th_kiss.gif
I have packed the RR lippie in my makeup case as I'll be doing my makeup there, I am leaving for the performance soon!
th_DANCE.gif

nattyngeorge

I LOVE A Rose Romance l/s on you. With this look I think you should go neutral with the lips since you've done so much with your eyes.. a soft pink is gorgeous! I do love the red lips on you though.. I'm just not sure its the best with the blue e/s.

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominikanmorena
I like the A Rose Romance l/s... mascara and some eyeliner will complete the look.

iagree.gif
on Rose Romance l/s ...if mascara is alright for your sensitive eyes!

darkishstar

A Rose Romance looks best.

To be really honest with you, I think instead of defining the "crease" like that where you don't have one doesn't really work. I speak from experience, because I have Asian eyes like you! I think what would work best is that you should define around your eyes with a darker color and pull it above your eyelid, so you can see it, then blend the blue above it. Then if you took the same dark color and blended it into the outer third of the eye into the blue, rather than making an outline of the blue with the darker shadow, it should define the shape better.

Other than that, I think A Rose Romance would suit the blue best if you want to use it, it's a pretty choice and stuck out to me right away.
smiles.gif

Good luck!

dreamer246

Thanks for the tips, Elaine!
winkiss.gif
I don't fully get what you mean though - do you know of any tutorials that I can watch to educate myself? Just in case I need to do eye makeup for another performance again.
tong.gif

ShugAvery2001

yeah dreamer there are several hooded eye/asian eye tutorials on youtube. Enkore has done some and countless others
also for you don't cover that lil flap of skin on the inner corner of your eye.. and don't go soo far up with your lid color and make sure there are no harsh lines

I like all of the lippies on you .. you have great shaped lips so you can play those up

but if you go with a bold lip (like kirsh) you may want to not wear that with a dramatic eye (kind of a general rule with some exceptions)

keep practicing sweets you'll get there

darkishstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer246
Thanks for the tips, Elaine!
winkiss.gif
I don't fully get what you mean though - do you know of any tutorials that I can watch to educate myself? Just in case I need to do eye makeup for another performance again.
tong.gif

YouTube - xteeener's Channel
Check out her channel. She has hooded lids I think, from what I can tell.
smiles.gif

YouTube - Asian Simple Smokey Eye/ Rockish Look + Hair Tutorial
She's doing almost exactly what I said, so you should look at this, except she's using browns. She also has hooded eyes. Look at 3:12, it'll show you EXACTLY what the make-up should look like.

Basic Asian Eye
-Use a primer
-take your lid color and apply it over the entire eye, pull it above the hood, so you can see it when your eye is open
-take a darker color and apply it to the outer third or half of the eyelid, don't bring it into the inner eye and don't apply above the lid color (like don't outline with the dark color)
-highlighter color on browbone
-eyeliner
-lower lash liner, I would reccommend a bright color for pop! It looks great with hooded lids, don't bring it too low though
-Curl lashes, mascara

You're done!
Hope that helps.
smiles.gif