my first shoot

spencoh

is on saturday

kind of nervous because ive never gotten to do makeup on any darker skin tones, and every model at this shoot will be black, but the stylist is going to help me out with foundations and whatnot so hopefully this wont be a total disaster!

do you guys get nervous at all before doing these kinds of things? i might die if the makeup comes out any less than perfect
:eek2:

ok im done venting

giz2000

Do what you know how to do (and very well, I might add)...the rest will fall into place....best of luck!

caffn8me

Good luck with that! The really good thing about the course I did with M·A·C is that they specifically got in a range of models of different skin tones and gave us demonstrations as well as allowing us to work on the models ourselves.

spencoh

thanks girls

this will be my first time blending foundation, the stylist got me a bunch of ben nye foundation, a spatula and one of those steel mixing palettes
hopefully i am a quick learner, haha

martygreene

I'm assuming you're testing then, and that this is not a paid shoot, if you have never mixed foundations. Honestly, I'd suggest taking some classes on foundation color theory and makeup for photography if this is something you're wanting to do. Check out Mary Erickson's Q and A (linked in the forum specific FAQ at the top of this forum), and keep an eye on places like thepowdergroup.com and occmakeup.com for classes on these topics. This is something you will need to learn, and practice a LOT, if you are serious about this as a job. Remember, it's not just you on the line here- a bad makeup can destroy an up-and-coming model's career. You owe it to your clients to know what you are doing before arriving on-set.

..kels*

good luck! i'm sure you'll do an amazing job! let us know how it goes.
thmbup.gif

spencoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
I'm assuming you're testing then, and that this is not a paid shoot, if you have never mixed foundations. Honestly, I'd suggest taking some classes on foundation color theory and makeup for photography if this is something you're wanting to do. Check out Mary Erickson's Q and A (linked in the forum specific FAQ at the top of this forum), and keep an eye on places like thepowdergroup.com and occmakeup.com for classes on these topics. This is something you will need to learn, and practice a LOT, if you are serious about this as a job. Remember, it's not just you on the line here- a bad makeup can destroy an up-and-coming model's career. You owe it to your clients to know what you are doing before arriving on-set.

no this isnt testing this is the shoot
and i will have help from an older makeup artist that will be working on the set too, if i didnt feel that i was doing a good job believe me i wouldnt do it. or id have someone else mix the foundation for me.
we'll see.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencoh
no this isnt testing this is the shoot
and i will have help from an older makeup artist that will be working on the set too, if i didnt feel that i was doing a good job believe me i wouldnt do it. or id have someone else mix the foundation for me.
we'll see.

So this is a paid gig?

spencoh

Quote:
So this is a paid gig?

nope just tfp

the lady knows that i am just starting to get my feet wet and wanted to get me some good experience
smiles.gif

martygreene

ahh, so then it is a testing shot. Testing is the true industry term for what the internet worlds of OMP and MM and such have coined as TFP/TFCD. That makes a lot more sense now. Good luck with it. If you are interested in continuing along this path, I might suggest finding a well respected, busy, working artist in your area with a strong portfolio with whom you can assist. Assistantships are one of the best ways to learn, get your name/face out there, and get your bearings in the industry.

spencoh

yup if i have any problems ill have help, so im not too worried really, im extremely excited, the ads going to be in a magazine and they are shooting a commercial also
greengrin.gif

im working on getting my ged right now so i can go to cosmo, then freelance or get a job doing makeup at one of the shows on the strip

*dance*

martygreene

If you are looking at getting into theatrical makeup, I'd not go to a cosmetology school, but rather a theatre oriented college and take a design track. The makeup you will learn at a beauty school for a cosmetology degree will be helpful to a degree for fashion makeup, but for theatrical shows, showgirls, etc. it simply won't cut it. As a theatrical makeup designer I know first hand where beauty schools leave off. You might want to pick up Richard Corson's book. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it's an industry standard for those of us in performing arts makeup artistry. His hair book is a great resource too, if you can find it.

MisStarrlight

I definitely agree with the above...I have a degree in visual arts, but you never realize how much color theory plays into skintone until you start mixing foundations.

If I'm in a pinch, I (and most MUAs I know) can mix someone's foundation color with the primary colors, black & white...it's actually really fun (yes, I am a NERD!)

spencoh

well i want to go to cosmo just to have my lisence, im not going to stop learning after that haha
i might want to work at mac also, im not positive what im going to do exactally, who knowwwwwwwws

martygreene

If you're looking to work theatrical shows, you don't need a license. Cosmetology is great if you want to do hair, but if you're looking for makeup it's not going to give you much more than you already know. You definately won't learn things like re-creation of features, foundation mixing, etc. there. You also won't learn the art of analyzing the effects of lighting on makeup, which you'll DEFINATELY need for shows on the Vegas Strip. It's a great place to start, and you'll learn all you'll ever want to know and more about hair, but for makeup it's kinda blah. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I'm just letting you know where things stand in relation to what you've said are your end goals so that you DON'T get discouraged down the line when, for example, you finish your cosmo programme and end up needing to take even MORE classes and spend MORE money to study things you thought you were going to get, if that makes sense.

spencoh

Quote:
If you're looking to work theatrical shows, you don't need a license. Cosmetology is great if you want to do hair, but if you're looking for makeup it's not going to give you much more than you already know. You definately won't learn things like re-creation of features, foundation mixing, etc. there. You also won't learn the art of analyzing the effects of lighting on makeup, which you'll DEFINATELY need for shows on the Vegas Strip. It's a great place to start, and you'll learn all you'll ever want to know and more about hair, but for makeup it's kinda blah. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I'm just letting you know where things stand in relation to what you've said are your end goals so that you DON'T get discouraged down the line when, for example, you finish your cosmo programme and end up needing to take even MORE classes and spend MORE money to study things you thought you were going to get, if that makes sense.

but i need a license to work at a salon and to do other crap like that. id like to learn about hair also. and money isnt really a problem, my aunt is really excited about me getting into what she does for a living so shes helping me out with all of that haha
and im not getting discouraged at all, the whole thing is very exciting to me haha

martygreene

ahh, yes. If you want to do salon work you do need a license this is true. If you are interested in hair too I strongly reccomend both Corson books. Also, if you're available in May, the makeup show is going to be the 13 and 14th of May in NYC. check themakeupshow.com for more information. There will be a lot of vendors, demonstrations, and courses there. Totally worth it.