My First Trip To New York-help plz!

c00ki312

Hey girls, my bf and I are planning a 5-day trip to New York for my birthday in 2weeks time and we are likely to be staying at the New Yorker hotel (i think theres only one of these). since we've never been to NY before, I would like to go to the following:

-statue of liberty
-museums
-other cool sightseeing place (we're gona do the whole touristy thing! lol )

in terms of presents for myself:
-MAC
-loreal HIP and other drugstore stuff
-places like victoria secret, forever 21 (those kinda clothing stores u find at the mall)

...i know its alot but we dont have much time and we really want to maximize out stay here, so a huge THANK YOU in advance
th_hug.gif

Asela88

if you want to go to victoria secret and forever21 make sure you shop by hearld square( which is 6th ave and 34th st) they have a 3 floor forever21 and a huge victoria secret across the street and other good stores..also the largest macys which is a mission since its so big..but they sell mac there and there has to be a drug store there because theres drug stores on like every block. Theres only one new yorker hotel and its not far from herald square i believe its a few blocks away new yorker i believe its on 8th ave and 34th st so you only have to walk 2 blocks to 6th ave. They just did alot of construction in the New yorker hotel it looks really nice when u walk in now...i hope that helped you a bit..and i hope you have a great time :-D

c00ki312

^ thanks so much Asela88. our travel agents said our hotel is close to macys
greengrin.gif
i'll def check those out...any other reccs? thanks

kaexbabey

thanks for this thread..i'm going for the first time in a few months too! i live in upstate ny and have never been -_-

Willa

Girls, I know this isnt my thread, but I don't wanna start a new one just for one question :

Do you know any places opened 24h, East or West Village?
I'm supposed to leave this saturday for a couple of days, on a budget...
sneaky.gif

dulcekitty

The New Yorker is right next to Herald Square, so you have access to most of the stores you want to go to right there. Also I always tell people to visit the Village. Its a quirky area with good shopping.

Also for my absolute favorite shopping, go down to SoHo which you can get to on the N, R or W train and get off on Prince St. Lots of high end stores, best MAC store IMHO, little clothing boutiques, places to eat, etc...

We don't really have "malls" in NYC, per se... lol... you're close by a mini mall (Manhattan Mall) which is probably the closest you'll get. I always thought this was a good mall until I moved to Jersey and saw a real mall!

I don't know if you're too terrified to venture outwards, but Williamsburg, Brooklyn is awesome.

Blushbaby

Re: Drugstore stuff. Duane Reade's are everywhere and they've recently had a revamp. Their makeup stands look SO much better. I'm in NY visiting the OH at the mo and was in Duane Reade about an hour ago and it was a totally different shopping experience to previous trips.

Check out the sites to check the weekly circulars the week you're coming so you can see what special deals, BOGOF's, etc will be happening when you're in town.

Rite Aid Pharmacy - With Us, It's Personal
www.cvs.com
Duane Reade ? Uniquely New York Since 1960

Soho's fab for shopping and Chinatown isn't too far a walk away and that's great for all the jewellery you see in Topshop, Miss Selfridge, etc that's overpriced. Haggle away and grab loads of bargains!

I always goto Chinatown to stock up on fancy earrings and rings that trickle onto the UK high street about 5 mths later, if at all.

Have a fab trip and don't forget to buy a fitted 'I love NY' tee - standard protocol for all visitors! LOL

dulcekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
magnolia's bakery.

cupcakes.
that is all.

I told you that I'm crazy for these cupcakes, cousin.

AlliSwan

Momofuku milk bar--great pork buns and amaaaazing desserts. Also, if you're a fan of tart frozen yogurt, 40 Carrots (in Bloomingdales) is the BEST. EVER. I'm not a big fan of tourist-y spots so I can't help you there, but the Macy's is excellent shopping for anyone. I also agree that Soho had some cool spots. Get a metro/train/subway (whichever you choose to call it) card for the week, it's much easier and a better buy than digging out money for throw away cards every time you need to get on the train.

buddhy

Myself and my BF went to NYC for the first time in Jan, also for 5 days. It was AMAZING.

There is no doubt that you will fall in love with it.

We did Times Sq, Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Central park, Rockefeller Centre, 5th Avenue (Sephora...need I say more?) and loads more. 5 days is plenty of time for your first trip.

We had some nice food, good service and great cocktails (oh and amazing cheesecake) in the Olive Garden at Times Square.

If you are worried about it being like London, don't be. It's nothing like it, it's better in every way. I loved it - can you tell?

If you are planning on seeing a show on Broadway make sure you don't plan it for a Monday - this seems to be their day off! We saved Broadway for out last evening (monday) and couldn't see anything... we usually plan everything to the last detail, not sure how we missed this!

Anyway, good luck and have loads of fun. It's just pure joy.

Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliSwan
Momofuku milk bar--great pork buns and amaaaazing desserts. Also, if you're a fan of tart frozen yogurt, 40 Carrots (in Bloomingdales) is the BEST. EVER.

2 of my favorite things, could eat a load of the pork buns and I usually have the plain frozen yogurt at least once a week.

There's also a Sephora across from Macys on 34th street.
In Soho, a new branch of the rock and roll hall of fame has opened.
The Metropolitan museum of art has an exhibit of fashion right now.

If you like BBQ, Hill Country on 26th street, off of 6th avenue is really good. try the "fatty" brisket. Monday night they have a good deal.

AlliSwan

I've been here in NYC all week, mostly doing interviews for internship possibilities (and landed my DREAM one!!) but my friend and I have managed to squeeze in plenty of fun. 40 Carrots (twice--ahhhhh the plain froyo...wish I could take a gallon home in my suitcase), Macaron Cafe, Whole Foods for dinner a couple times, mad shopping at almost every department store, thrift stores (found my friend a DVF dress for $28 at Buffalo Exchange, she's totally converted to thrifting now!), and a few sight seeing things because she wanted to do tourist stuff. I usually turn and run from that type of thing, but Times Square was actually really fun. Sadly, we didn't find a decent place to live when we move here next month--eek!

AlliSwan

I'm looking more at Brooklyn, but my flight out is today, so my friend is looking at a couple places tomorrow. We checked out the Webster (omg no) and then a couple other places didn't return our calls. An acquaintance was suggesting NJ but that is wayyyy too much of a commute for me. And it's NJ (sorry to any NJ girls, I've been there and it's not for me). What do you know/think of Washington Heights area?

Ernie

^^Good luck, I don't really know the Washington Heights area, but if you need help with Queens, let me know!

Boasorte

Those Magnolia cupcakes are the nastiest things ever! Don't go there it's only famous b/c of Sexand the City

Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Those Magnolia cupcakes are the nastiest things ever! Don't go there it's only famous b/c of Sexand the City

I agree, I'm not a fan. My favorite cupcake is from Amy's Bread/Bakery. It's a yellow cupcake with pink frosting. I go to the Bleeker street location.

Latest posts