my gran

spunky

my gran is 86, has dementia and a host of other little niggles. for the past few years she's also been suffering from mini strokes, which have been getting progressively worse.

about 2 hours ago we got a call from the nursing home she lives in saying she'd had a massive seizure and was unresponsive. they're not moving her to a hospital as the stress would be too much for her. the doctor has also said that her chances of surviving the night are very slim.

i'm not really sure why i'm writing this on a forum of people i don't know, but it seems that most of the people on here are very supportive and i guess i need to get this off my chest. my mum has phoned the family who don't live in scotland and i've called round all my friends who are fantastic, but i'm in the house on my own just now and i'm feeling quite sad. i was never that close to my gran, but she had a soft spot for the youngest members of our family [me, my little sister and my cousin; and more recently all of her great-grandchildren]. it's just weird to think that someone who has been there all my life could be gone in the morning
ssad.gif

so if you could send some prayers/good vibes her way i'd be so grateful.

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky

the doctor has also said that her chances of surviving the night are very slim.

I'm sorry you're going through this difficult time, and I will be happy to pray for you, and for your whole family.
As for doctors' predictions, I'm not being flippant here, but I was given only hours to live, NINE AND A HALF YEARS AGO!
So you really don't ever know ...
Besides, your gran must be a pretty tough cookie to have survived what she's already been through.
Please keep us posted, as you feel like it, and are able.
We care, even though this is a forum devoted mostly to cosmetics.
winks.gif

marajode

I'm so sending your gran good, healing vibes! And you, coping vibes!
I lost my grandma last year. It is so hard. She was in the hospital for months. I was there for months.

I wish I could say something to help. I really do.
I do hope things turn better for her and your family.
there is so much special with grand mas. I now cook all her favorite foods to keep her alive in our family.

Be strong. You can. And again, I'm sending her healthy healing vibes!
th_hug.gif

Mabelle

Oh my, I'm so sorry. my grandma (while healthy) had a few health problems this last year, and it was so so hard for me to see her like that, and she got better, so i can only imagine how you feel. I love my grandma so much.
Even if you're not that close, i can understand how you feel. When my grandpa passed away, we werent that close, not because i didnt want to be, but we just werent. Now that he's gone,im so sad i never got the chance to hell him how much i love him and how much i miss him. If you can, go and tell her. even if she's unresponsive, i'm sure your loving energy will reach her.
my thoughts are with you, your family and yoru gran. I'll pray for a miracle for you.

spunky

i've just got off the phone to my aunt who says that my gran is starting to open her eyes and giving yes/no answers to questions, she's still very confused. but she's still with us
smiles.gif
the doctor is coming back out this morning to re-assess her, they think she had a stroke.

thanks so much guys, means a lot to me to have this support
smiles.gif

LMD84

keep us posted sweetie.
th_hug.gif
i shall be sending lots of positive thoughts to your gran and you and your family.
smiles.gif

spunky

just a wee update - my mum went to see my gran this evening and she was sitting up in bed, chatting away like nothing had happened! she's got the same limited movement she had before the stroke and her speech hasn't been too badly affected.

that said, the doctor has told us not to be too hopeful as with elderly patients strokes come in clusters, so this could be the first of many and there's no way of knowing when the next will come or how severe it'll be. we're taking it one day at a time and on sunday i'm taking my puppy up to see her. i'm so happy she's made it through!

the nursing home she's in is amazing. one of the nurses stayed 2 and a half hours late, and came in half an hour early this morning just because she was so concerned about my gran. her main carer was in tears too, she has a close relationship with her and actually does care about her as well as looking after her basic needs. the staff there are wonderful, she couldn't be in a better place.
yes.gif

LMD84

that is brilliant news! it seems she has come out of the danger zone then? the postive thinking must have worked!
th_hug.gif

spunky

looks like it!
greengrin.gif
hehe yes, thanks for it ^_^
my poor mum can put her feet up now, she's not slept since 6am yesterday :|

Meisje

Hugs! I'm glad she's doing well.

With any situation like this all you can do is prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and cherish the time you spend together.

Bjarka

Glad to hear she's better!
th_cheerup.gif

Those things are never nice. Lost 3 of my grandparents, and my dad (4 years ago). Is hard to watch people you care about in those situations.

My dad's mother had dementia too, and all I can say, is for you to remember to tell her, how much you care about her, next you see her
smiles.gif

Latest posts