My "interview" today...need some advice from MAC employees

lyttleravyn

Hey guys, so today was my 'interview' with my local MAC counter. I was soooo nervous! But it was pretty casual, so I think I did ok. When I first talked to the manager she said they were always hiring for freelance for which I could interview with her; if I wanted to interview for a permanent parttime position then I would have to interview with the district manager (however she said that if I didn't get the job with the district manager, then she couldn't hire me as freelance). So I decided to interview for freelance since I wasn't sure if my skills were up to what they were looking for. I ended up doing really really well (everyone loved what I did!) so I was happy about that. The manager took me aside to talk to me afterwards and said that if I wanted to apply for a permanent position that my skills were above and beyond what they were looking for (yay!). The only thing she said she was concerned about was my makeup and appearance. Not that I dressed like a slob haha, but she told me that the district manager is looking for certain things, most importantly for the artists to be 'fashion forward.' She suggested I do more with my hair (which is elbow length, with some layers around my face...I had it back in a low ponytail to keep it out of my way while i was doing makeup)...such as color. I've been thinking about doing something fun with color lately anyway, so that's not a problem for me. She also said I should dress more trendy and wear more makeup. I was wondering if any current MAC employees could help me figure out what I need to be doing differently. Where are some places you shop, take inspiration for clothing, etc. and also what makeup is considered appropriate for everyday at MAC. Thanks so much in advance! (I'm a visual learner, so I would really appreciate pictures, links, etc.)

erine1881

definately check out forever 21, even target and old navy for clothes and accessories on the cheap. i always shop at these places. another good place is urban outfitters. they have some pretty cool stuff like accessories that won't break the bank.

as for your makeup, at all times you're required to wear 3 eye shadows, foundation/powder, blush, and 3 lip products (liner, stick and gloss). you must always have a full face (10 products-i always have half of that on my eyes alone!!) of makeup MAC-style! i'm not sure how your makeup was done that day, but you definately need to amp it up everyday you're at work. but don't let this scare you-you won't look like a hooker or anything!

and for your hair, its ok to have it in a pony every once in awhile, but maybe tease the crown so its kinda funky, do fun pigtails even. some peoples hair can't always do different styles, but at least put some time into styling it. also, take a cue from the girls that work there already. when you go in shopping, check out what they're wearing to see what kinda style is acceptable at that particular counter.

in the end you want to be trendy-mac is a trend line afterall. stock up on some staples like pants, bermuda shorts, leggings, and tees and a couple cute dresses. throw on a few accessories and you're set! hth!

Chrystia

Forever 21 is a definite must have. I would highly recommend though buying black lycra based clothing, since cotton fades in pigment. Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Express, Nordstrom Rack, Charlotte Russe, and Shoes should be dressy and not scuffed. Obviously all black. Take a look through some magazines for trends and recent hairstyles. Fashion forward is a definite, but still dressy. You want your clothes and hair to be trendy, but leaning towards a little more fancy than casual.

As for makeup, I always have a more dramatic look. Not overly crazy, but more of a night look. You want your makeup to be something customers can relate to, but still be the focus of your look. If you are in doubt, a smoky eye and a little extra colour on the lips and cheeks. Take a look at the girls at your counter and see what they are wearing to get ideas. Or ask the manager for ideas too. Even if you are still interviewing, your manager will help direct you to success.

And finally, confidence. MAC can be intimidating, but confidence is key. Your manager/MRO will identify a confidence in you. Be open to feedbeck, MAC is BIG on feedback. Its how you grow within the company. Good Luck!
thmbup.gif

lyttleravyn

Thanks guys
smiles.gif
I have a hair appt tomorrow, so I'll hopefully post pictures afterwards. And I went shopping at the Express near me, they were having a HUGE sale and I got a pair of satin skinny jeans, a black blouse and 2 gorgeous black cocktail dresses. I'm soooo excited! Thanks again for your recommendations
smiles.gif

lyttleravyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveleighe
i see you're from h-town what counter did you apply to?

The Macy's counter in Quakerbridge Mall.

Hopefully the manager will call me back this week about interviewing with the district manager (maybe?) for the permanent position. My hair looks soooo cute!! Here are a couple pics, we just did a little darker all over and then some red pieces underneath:
IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

lyttleravyn

Thanks so much guys, I'm sooo happy with how it turned out
smiles.gif

And thank you very much Chocolategoddes, that link really helped!

lyttleravyn

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update. I had my interview with the district manager the other day, and I think it went ok. Both of my interviews seem to have been much more formal than the other interviews I've read about here on specktra. Pretty much they just had me come in a do a demo...no official interviewing. I don't know if its because all the girls/guys who work there know me very well, or if that's just how they do all their interviews. I was a little nervous about my demo, even though I have 6 years retail experience and have sold Mark, Avon and Mary Kay at different times. I knew there was at least one other girl there doing her demo, but she was around the other side of the counter so I couldn't see what she did. I did notice that she was very flustered when grabbing her products (and the district manager commented on it as well). I was told to do a day look and then turn it into a night look with 3 products. I had a different model this time, but was able to swatch her for foundation/concealer/powder pretty quickly. I used Vanilla, Brule, Texture and Corduroy e/s and a little Constructivist paint pot as a subtle liner (it went really well with her pale skin and dirty blonde hair). I also used a little Warm Soul and Dainty blushes, Bare slimshine and a touch of Love Nectar l/g.

When I was finished, the manager came over and checked it out. He said it looked very nice, and to move on to the night look. I had already grabbed Blacktrack, which he said to use. He also grabbed Posey cream blush and told me to choose a darker lip. So I did a simple winged liner, and added some Print e/s to smudge the lower waterline. For lips I used New York Apple l/s with some Love Alert dazzleglass in the middle bottom lip. He said he liked it when he came around, although he asked what I had done with the brows. I was honest and said I hadn't done anything yet, and that I wasn't sure where to start since I've never done brows before. He and I ended worked collaboratively on it (first color he chose was too dark, I used a lighter pencil after that). I also said the only thing I would have changed was to add liner to the upper waterline, however when I lined her lower waterline her eye got very irritated. (It looked like there was a space between upper lashes and liner, but there wasn't. You could just see the upper waterline when you looked at her straight on) He looked at her from a few different angles and agreed with me.

After everything was finished, I said that I knew they had other interviews and did they know when they would be making a decision (I was under the impression he was only there that day, and that 2 other girls were interviewing. My friend who works there said there are 3 spots open? I'm not sure about that though). He said that he didn't make the decisions, that he just gave 'feedback.' And that the store manager (who I did my first interview with) was the one who made decisions. She was on break, but before I could ask if I should wait for her, he said thank you for coming in and it was nice to meet you; then walked away. So my model and I left after a few minutes. I called this morning to see if the store manager was in, and was told that she wasn't but that she would be calling me when they decided. The district manager had added that they would be deciding soon since holiday is quickly approaching.

I know its only Wednesday and my interview was on Monday, but I hate waiting! I've pretty much put all my eggs in one basket with this job, since all the girls/guys I know that work there keep reassuring me that I will get the job. I'm still just nervous.

Oh! But I thought I'd share what I wore that day, since I was nervous about my "look." I wore these pants in black: EXPRESS: SEXY SATIN SKINNY-LEG EDITOR PANT

Even my friend/model said I looked awesome in them. And I paired it with this sheer jacket (wore a sequined black tank underneath to add a little subtle sparkle: EXPRESS: CHIFFON RUFFLE JACKET

And here is a picture of my hair and makeup, even though my lips had almost completely worn off by then (I had work Lame l/s with Miss Dynamite d/g):
IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

lyttleravyn

UPDATE:

So I FINALLY heard back from the manager at the MAC counter. Apparently there was a girl who worked fulltime who recently left. That's the position they wanted to give me, but the higher up's have been back and forth about filling the position because of how the economy has been. So when the manager called me, they had me come in and fill out paperwork to be a freelance instead. The manager is almost certain that they will have to hire a fulltime, so I just have to wait for the go ahead to become permanent yay!
smiles.gif

So for now, I'm hoping to hear from a few stores/counters in the area to see if they have any freelance hours for now.

YAY!
smiles.gif