my love was taken away from me

silversuniverse

By the police the day after my birthday (yesterday) He had a warrant out for his arrest for missing a court date and now they're tacking on all 5 of his other charges to his case. I'm never gonna see him ever again
cry.gif
And it's all for stuff that happened years ago! He's not a bad guy! Why does this have to happen to him
ssad.gif

His charges are:

2 charges of POSSESSION OF CANNABIS LESS THAN 20 GRAMS
2 charges of POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA
1 charge of POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE

Now I have to find him a cheap lawyer (someone under $2000) to do the 2 cases in 2 different counties..

And don't anyone even dare tell me to find another man. You don't even know how pissed off that would make me. He has been so good to me. He was even saving up money to buy me an engagement ring (which now I am having to spend on a lawyer for him) I'm so upset about the whole situation!

Anyone ever been in a situation like this? I can't even talk to him because my cell phone is long distance and of course it's a cell phone.

Melly44

I can't figure out why he would miss his court date either?

Good luck to you though
smiles.gif
i hope everything turns out for you

MorningGlory

I am not being judgmental, but believe you should seriously consider how his actions reflect on his maturity and ability to function as an adult and as a caring boyfriend in the long-term. To me it seems rather irresponsible to not show up to a court date or at least contact the authorities to remedy the situation some time in the *years* since he had missed court. Is this why he will be away for a long time for misdemeanors?? What you have posted doesn't exactly make sense so I think you may not have all the facts about his situation.

Now, as to the financial stuff, does he qualify to have representation by the public defender in both counties? I think you will be hard pressed to find an attorney willing to travel to the two counties for $2000.
There should be a lawyer referral service program with your local state bar association. Also if you have a law school nearby they might have a pro bono clinic. You should have *him* contact them for help finding assistance.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversuniverse

And don't anyone even dare tell me to find another man. You don't even know how pissed off that would make me.

Mmm ok...

Why so offensive from the start if you want us to comfort you?

th_dunno.gif

Hilly

I might be out on a limb here, but shit happens. Sure her bf had some shit in his past, but yes people can change.

We don't know Silversuniverse or her bf, but she doesn't need to be attacked when she was looking to vent about her situation.

Give the chick a break.

gigglegirl

Its too bad this is all after the fact. I've watched both Dog the bounty hunter and Bounty Girls miami (lol great programming choices I know...ugh). But they always seem to say to call the court/lawyer whomever if you missed the date or forgot or whatever. Always better for you to come forward than for them to go looking for you. But as I said, whats done is done.

All you can do know is take a previous posters advice about the lawyer pro bono/school possibility or any place that gives legal aid as lawyer fees are nuts and to try and pay for it yourselves will be insane.

I'm sorry for you to be in this situation so close after your birthday (I'm sure any celebrating is now overshadowed by this). Hang in there but definitely search for some legal aid help--hopefully he qualifies. What are the charges in the other country? Are they a part of those listed above? And if you don't mind my asking--which other country-->as some are FAR stricter for drug related offenses than others.

Best wishes!

Hilly

Call your local 211 United way helpline. The number is 211...and see is fhtere is a volunteer lawyers association for your city. They can help with legal questions and guide you in the right direction.

MAC_Whore

Question:

Quote:
.......He's not a bad guy! Why does this have to happen to him
ssad.gif

Answer:

Quote:

2 charges of POSSESSION OF CANNABIS LESS THAN 20 GRAMS
2 charges of POSSESSION OF DRUG PARAPHERNALIA
1 charge of POSSESSION OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE....

I don't doubt that you have strong feelings for him, but this next statement of yours is something you should really ponder and let hit home:

Quote:
...He was even saving up money to buy me an engagement ring (which now I am having to spend on a lawyer for him)......

He made a conscious choice to mix with drugs without regard for what the consequences could be for you or him. You should be higher on his priority list than pot. Not trying to be harsh, just pointing out the realities.

Quote:
....And don't anyone even dare tell me to find another man. You don't even know how pissed off that would make me....

That's all your choice, but by eliminating it as an option, you aren't allowing yourself to receive balanced advice.

user46

honestly, i'm probably the only one who may understand thissorta thing. my boyfriend, good guy, ALWAYS good to me. but he sold drugs before, and got arrested for it. now hes going to court and all that. but int he meantime, he has 2 jobs, he goes to college now, and everything is just good for him now. so i understand that good people can do bad things. and that necessarily doesnt mean you have to dump him. but for me, it's a different story, because my boyfriend isn't in jail. he can sit right next to me. but i dont think you should be saying "why does this have to happen to him". because ... well you know why it happened to him. ever since then, my boyfriend vowed never to put me or his family through anything like this, and he's kept his word. and i'm 204929 percent sure he will. because i know he was scared shitless. lol. but on another note ... i didn't have to go through the legal aspects of it, so idk what to tell you about the lawyer part. but if he really cared about you, or not facing the possibility of going to jail, then he would have made sure not to miss his court dates. as of now, theres not TOO MUCH that can be done.

Trunkmonkey

Out of nothing more than morbid curiosity is he still using drugs?

As has been previously pointed out he does have the right to an attorney and, if he can't afford one, one will be provided for him. What's going to happen is really dependent on the judge and his representation.

Not showing up for your court date is NEVER a good idea. Judges REALLY don't like that.

Can you not post bail and get him out?

By the way if he is still using and it's more than pot I'd recommend you run as far away as you can get. Next time it could be you winding up in jail for at least overnight if you're in a vehicle where they find paraphernalia.