My pregnant best friend just lost her dad to suicide, and i'm not there for her

miss_emc

I left Australia 3 months ago to go on a working holiday in London and my best friend called me up after 10 days being here with the news that she was expecting. Everyone was happy and excited and i've been keeping in contact with her over the phone since then following her progress.

The last time I spoke to her was last sunday the 12th November when she told me her dad and her mum had a fight and he left the house and drove off without his mobile. She said he had been gone for about 6 hours and hoped he wouldn't do anything stupid. I just said that he probably just needed some space and that he would be back that evening.

I got a call from her this afternoon, it's my day off and I was at home. She sounded really upset and my instant thought was that she lost the baby. She said 'Emma, they found my dad. He killed himself. The police found him in his car near the train tracks and he gassed himself'. I had no idea what to say. I listened to her and tried to say things to make the situation seem better but I've never had anyone really close to me die so I can't really relate. The worst thing is, she is 5 months pregnant and i'm so worried about her and the baby's health. She is so distraught and stressed and is taking on a lot of guilt and I just wish I could be back home to be with her during this time. I feel so bad that I can't be with her, she really needs me. I know she has the rest of her family and her fiance to be by her side but we are both so close and are literally each others true best friend. I really don't know what to do, i've told her she can text me if she needs me to call to talk to her, but I wish I could just make her feel better. It's so difficult me being so far away, i'm coming home in February but that seems so far away. I'm really concerned for her health and mental state, and the pregnancy hasn't been the best so far so this isn't going to help at all. Does anyone have any suggestions to how to handle this situation? Has anyone been through anything similar at all?

Shimmer

There's unfortunately not really any advice you can give.
ssad.gif
Just listen to her and tell her you love her. :/

Hawkeye

Just love her. Just tell her you love her. Just support her the best way you can.

Or if you want to do something really crazy-hop on a plane and fly out there for her.

But *HUGS* This is hard for her and all she needs now is someone to support her and love her *HUGS*