My Studio Fix is too dark. How can I lighten it?

seafox

I hastily bought MAC Studio Fix Liquid in NC50. (I live in South Korea and it is rare to find any foundation for darker tones. It looked okay in the mall, but it was probably a bit too dark then, and it was the only dark color they had.) I am thinking I can buy a lighter shade online and mix the two? But I don't know which to buy. Also it is too red for me. I'm actually more yellow/gold. What should I buy to mix with it? Thanks.

Distinque

When I do makeup on others that are lighter than me but with the same undertones I mix the foundation with moisturizer (I use Clinique Dramatically Moisturizing Gel) on the back of my hand. It makes the foundation more sheer and less pigmented. You would need to figure out how much moisturizer you'll need to have the foundation match your skintone.

HTH

glassy girl

U can return it most counters will take it back even if u opened it(just let them know it wasn't the right shade) and let them match you.

NaturalSister19

That would be hard to advise you on without seeing the foundation swatched on your skin in good lighting. Can you go back to the counter and have someone match you when you can take the time?

>>>Make sure the artist picks at least 3 close shades and applies it in stripes (with a #242 brush or a cotton swab) at least a 1/2 inch apart so that your cheek shows between each swatch. If is it applied over too large an area with a powder brush, it may blend somewhat and you could still end up with the wrong shade.

After the artist applies the swatches, let them oxidize for about a minute or two. Liquid & powder foundations tend to go a touch darker after a bit. Your body temp and the natural oils in your skin cause this.

See pic below:

Notice how the one in the middle nearly disappears? That would be the match.

That's the best way.

>>>And make sure you go look at the swatches in natural lighting -even if you have to walk away from the counter with the mirror.

You want to get foundaton right.

HTH!!

seafox

I bought it in another city Glassy and I won't be back there for awhile so returning it is sorta out. But Distinque I have tried mixing it with my sunscreen and that's helped a bit. But if anyone knows what would be a "safe" shade to order for mixing or just to replace it I'd love to know. I'm thinking NC45 but it's so hard ordering online. In Becca's stick I wear Treacle and that's nearly perfect. Thanks everyone so far!!!

NaturalSister19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
I bought it in another city Glassy and I won't be back there for awhile so returning it is sorta out. But Distinque I have tried mixing it with my sunscreen and that's helped a bit. But if anyone knows what would be a "safe" shade to order for mixing or just to replace it I'd love to know. I'm thinking NC45 but it's so hard ordering online. In Becca's stick I wear Treacle and that's nearly perfect. Thanks everyone so far!!!

You can exchange it at a different counter. Can you get to the same store (Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales etc...) you purchased it from?

or -

You might even try calling ahead to any MAC location and tell them what happened. Someone just may accomodate you.

Jinni

It might be a better idea to just buy a foundation that matches. I'm not sure it's worth it buying another product to mix.

You might save it in case you buy a foundation that is too light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalSister19
You can exchange it at a different counter. Can you get to the same store (Macy's, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales etc...) you purchased it from?

or -

You might even try calling ahead to any MAC location and tell them what happened. Someone just may accomodate you.

She is in South Korea. It's quite likely that their exchange policy is different.

TISH1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox
I hastily bought MAC Studio Fix Liquid in NC50. (I live in South Korea and it is rare to find any foundation for darker tones. It looked okay in the mall, but it was probably a bit too dark then, and it was the only dark color they had.) I am thinking I can buy a lighter shade online and mix the two? But I don't know which to buy. Also it is too red for me. I'm actually more yellow/gold. What should I buy to mix with it? Thanks.

I think it is harder to lighten a color than darken IMO....I am between a NC45 and a NC50 Studio Fix so I mix the two most times...I put the NC45 shade on and dust lightly with the NC50 on top ...Or I wear NC45 with Med/Dark MSF on top....Now I know MUFE has a primer that lightens my face #6 Yellow (lightens dark complexions) and if I wear this I can wear the NC50 without the NC45, but it gives me a dry sometimes ashy look IMO. Everyone is not always gong to find the perfect match in foundations no matter how many different ones you try on...sometimes you have to mix the colors in some brands. This is my skin with NC45 with MSF M/Dark on top are you close to my skin shade in your opinion...The flash lightens me up just a tad ...My face is not quite this light in appearance IRL

http://specktra.net/f166/teal-delft-...70#post1404770

I hope you find a good match for you...I am sure it is harder being in S. Korea than it is here in the US to just run in a store and try on different foundations...But I hoped this helped

I have never been able to get the MAC liquid foundations to work as far as color on my skin.

dominichulinda

yeah I use the HD primer in #6 as well, because one of my foundation is very dark for my skintone..this product is real nice ..it transforms your foundation ..no mixing needed
smiles.gif
IMG_4632.JPG

NaturalSister19

Cut & pasted from the MAC Korea website find stores link. HTH!

Link: MAC Cosmetics | Storelocations

1x1.gif
프라이머
1x1.gif
아이섀도우
1x1.gif
마스카라
1x1.gif
라이너
1x1.gif
브로우

1x1.gif
프라이머
1x1.gif
립 컨디셔너
1x1.gif
립스틱
1x1.gif
립글라스
1x1.gif
립 펜슬

1x1.gif
프라이머
1x1.gif
파운데이션
1x1.gif
파우더
1x1.gif
컨실러
1x1.gif
치크

1x1.gif

1x1.gif
아이
1x1.gif
훼이스

1x1.gif
리무버
1x1.gif
모이스처라이저
1x1.gif
픽서
1x1.gif
라이트풀 컬렉션

1x1.gif
훼이스
1x1.gif
아이
1x1.gif

1x1.gif
메이크업 도구
1x1.gif
컨테이너
1x1.gif
퍼프/스폰지

1x1.gif
메이크업 케이스
1x1.gif
자카드
1x1.gif
클래식

1x1.gif
"레드" 쉬 세드
1x1.gif
패션 오브 레드
1x1.gif
어도링 카민
1x1.gif
리틀 달링
1x1.gif
페셔네틀리 레드
1x1.gif
키즈 헬핑 키즈

1x1.gif
신상품/소식
1x1.gif
이벤트
1x1.gif
PR 갤러리

1x1.gif
아이
1x1.gif

1x1.gif
훼이스
1x1.gif
미네랄라이즈
1x1.gif
프라이머
1x1.gif
스킨케어
1x1.gif
다기능 제품
1x1.gif
브러쉬
1x1.gif
네일
1x1.gif
도구
1x1.gif
백/케이스

1x1.gif
홀리데이
1x1.gif
모노그램
1x1.gif
메탈 어지
1x1.gif
비바 글램

1x1.gif
"레드" 쉬 세드
1x1.gif
비바 글램 VI

1x1.gif
베스트셀링 추천제품

아시아/오스트레일리아
1x1.gif

유럽
1x1.gif

북아메리카
1x1.gif

남아메리카
1x1.gif

1x1.gif
뉴스
1x1.gif
비바 글램
1x1.gif
기금 지원

로그인 | 회원가입

200504_rn_findstores_txt_on.gif

전국 30개 매장에서 맥 제품을 만나보실 수 있습니다. 매장 행사 일정은 매장 사정상 변경될 수 있습니다. 자세한 사항은 매장에 문의하시기 바랍니다.

200504_wn_hd_store_txt_off.gif
압구정 스토어
강남 신사동 삼희빌딩 1층

seafox

Thanks for all of your advice. You are some helpful women! I usually stock up on my fave foundation in NYC or order online. That SFF purchase was quick and stupid'''OMG you have a shade for black skin!!!"

moonlit

what I do is, I apply chanel loose powder in natural #30 over my SFF NC 42 to make it little lighter.IT works for me that way
smiles.gif
since I dont want my face to be too matte all over, I apply revlon skin lights / strobe cream over my cheek bones.

seafox

Now I'm over this whole Studio Fix question. I am sure that my new breakout of cystic acne, the likes of which I haven't seen for over 6 months, is from Studio Fix. I'm mad at myself more than anything because I bought it on a whim and I should have remembered that it might cause breakouts. My stand-by is Becca but I'm out of it at the moment. Or maybe I'll find something else for acne-prone skin. Too bad I'm out of my minerals too. Oh well.

xselech

omg. gal please can you give me the directions of the Mall you bought this product from? i have been searching for NC50 all over south korea but to no avail. please help me. thanks

Latest posts