Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

Anitacska

I was very restrained but I did buy 5 Glams:
The Mistress of all Evil
Mother Knows Best
Without You I'd Truly Be Dead
Friends on the Other Side
Go On Take a Bite
Could have happily had more, but resisted. Maybe if they're still around next month... Order open obviously, and not shipping till October.
I haven't seen many PPU yet, hoping I hate them all, though the EdM is cute (but I have a couple of very similar polishes).
I hate doctoring pictures to sell polish, I'm fairly convinced Starrily and POP do it a lot (though I have no POP to base that on...)

That's cool, I wanted 4 of these actually. I also liked Madam Mim, I'm Surrounded by Idiots, The Return of Jafar. Still eyeing up The Lost Princess from last month, but I'm just going to have to hope I can buy these later either from Glam or destashes.

I don't buy from Starrily or POP, so I can't comment on those, but the owner of POP was also involved in a big spat in Acetone Alley for spouting some horrible transphobic shit. I was never interested in her polishes, but sure as hell not buying any especially after this!

Anitacska

Forgot to ask if you bought any Enchanteds, but I'm guessing no. I looked, but they just all seem so blah to me. $16 for an ugly green creme? You've got to be kidding!

boschicka

That's cool, I wanted 4 of these actually. I also liked Madam Mim, I'm Surrounded by Idiots, The Return of Jafar. Still eyeing up The Lost Princess from last month, but I'm just going to have to hope I can buy these later either from Glam or destashes.

I don't buy from Starrily or POP, so I can't comment on those, but the owner of POP was also involved in a big spat in Acetone Alley for spouting some horrible transphobic shit. I was never interested in her polishes, but sure as hell not buying any especially after this!

The drama with the POP owner was absurd! Not only was she spewing garbage, but she was so caustic in every interaction. Going for the jugular even with people trying to understand her. She came across like a rabid animal.

boschicka

Thank you!

Yes, will sort out the swap soon. On that note, did you order from Glam? I'm sort of counting on you for new Glams, hahaha. I just couldn't justify buying from them as well as all the other stuff I'm wanting and shouldn't have.

I did order from Vapid as it was their last restock, only got 2 polishes, the Spellcaster dupe/improved version and ... This Way Comes which was based on Something Wicked, that I didn't get when they first came out for HHC.

I'm only wanting one or two from PPU and don't know what to do. They wouldn't arrive at Stackry before I have to empty out my box, so should probably order from the UK shop, but I really hate Annette. She's such a deceitful person. Someone posted in the PfD group about their Ploto looking very different from the extremely bright and saturated swatch pictures on Rainbow Connection and Annette started lying about how Shopify must have altered the images (I'm not an expert, but pretty sure that wouldn't happen). Then she quietly went off and changed the pictures back to the original swatch photos. So basically she doctored the images to make the polish more saleable I'm guessing. Ugh, such a shady character.

I've said it before but nail polish swatches drive me bonkers, so to hear someone is intentionally being deceitful is disgusting. I think in general swatchers try to capture the best the polish has to offer, but in doing so, they fail to capture what it will look like 90% of the time it's on our nails. That's why there was a question in AA about people who buy polishes and then immediately sell them. I think that's why. Swatches look one way and then I receive a polish and it's not what I thought it would be at all. Your swatches are honestly some of the best and most accurate I've seen. Oh and when people only share micro pics, that's not helpful at all. I love a pic from a distance to really get a feel for the polish, but it seems those types of photos are frowned upon for some reason.

boschicka

I did order from Vapid as it was their last restock, only got 2 polishes, the Spellcaster dupe/improved version and ... This Way Comes which was based on Something Wicked, that I didn't get when they first came out for HHC.

That Vapid sale was a mess with the shipping and not having all polishes listed at once. I inquired in the Sold Out thread if the cosmos overpours were sold out or never listed. An admin responded that they had sold out, so I went off to live my life. Turns out the admin was answering without having any idea of the situation b/c they were never listed, so another admin announced they were being added to the site. Since I had already moved on from the sale, I nearly missed this info. I came back to Facebook to check something else and saw I was tagged, so I was able to get a few but some had already sold out. Annoying that the admins answer from their behinds and annoying that the site doesn't show what's sold out. Things just disappear. And if they had been listed from the beginning I could have gotten what I wanted since I was poised and ready the minute the site opened.

Anitacska

I've said it before but nail polish swatches drive me bonkers, so to hear someone is intentionally being deceitful is disgusting. I think in general swatchers try to capture the best the polish has to offer, but in doing so, they fail to capture what it will look like 90% of the time it's on our nails. That's why there was a question in AA about people who buy polishes and then immediately sell them. I think that's why. Swatches look one way and then I receive a polish and it's not what I thought it would be at all. Your swatches are honestly some of the best and most accurate I've seen. Oh and when people only share micro pics, that's not helpful at all. I love a pic from a distance to really get a feel for the polish, but it seems those types of photos are frowned upon for some reason.

Thank you! I don't have a problem with swatchers' photos, I understand that they are trying to show off the polish at its best, but when someone doctors an image to make the polish sell better and then lies about it, that I have an issue with.

Anitacska

That Vapid sale was a mess with the shipping and not having all polishes listed at once. I inquired in the Sold Out thread if the cosmos overpours were sold out or never listed. An admin responded that they had sold out, so I went off to live my life. Turns out the admin was answering without having any idea of the situation b/c they were never listed, so another admin announced they were being added to the site. Since I had already moved on from the sale, I nearly missed this info. I came back to Facebook to check something else and saw I was tagged, so I was able to get a few but some had already sold out. Annoying that the admins answer from their behinds and annoying that the site doesn't show what's sold out. Things just disappear. And if they had been listed from the beginning I could have gotten what I wanted since I was poised and ready the minute the site opened.

I only wanted those two polishes and was nearly an hour late to the sale, so not sure what went on, but I agree that it's annoying when things just disappear instead of showing as sold out. I especially hate that when it's a polish that will be restocked, so you can't even wishlist it. I think C4N and RC both do this.

PearlyQueen

Forgot to ask if you bought any Enchanteds, but I'm guessing no. I looked, but they just all seem so blah to me. $16 for an ugly green creme? You've got to be kidding!
No, I had a look and though a couple of the holos were pretty, I have so many straight holos I must have dupes, and they just don't feel worth the money anyway. I felt much like you about that green!

PearlyQueen

The drama with the POP owner was absurd! Not only was she spewing garbage, but she was so caustic in every interaction. Going for the jugular even with people trying to understand her. She came across like a rabid animal.
Yowser, didn't she have lots of RuPaul based polishes at one time? That's nasty, you've both managed to put me off her brand completely! I keep being tempted but I don't trust the swatches, I'll put them out of my head now.

PearlyQueen

My arms aren't long enough for that!
I actually agree about swatches, I find it especially with red/orange/pink shades, they call them red and publish photos in lighting that makes them look very red, then they arrive and are really disappointingly pink or orange. I have a lot of pink and orange polishes...

PearlyQueen

I don't have any Vapids, so fortunately I missed this drama! But that sort of thing is well irritating.

Anitacska

Yowser, didn't she have lots of RuPaul based polishes at one time? That's nasty, you've both managed to put me off her brand completely! I keep being tempted but I don't trust the swatches, I'll put them out of my head now.

I don't know, but she did have a Pride collection. One of her polishes is called Love is Love, and someone made a mock up of the label to read Love is Love (Unless You Have a Penis). It was priceless!

Anitacska

Well, I caved in and bought from the PPU UK website. As much as I loathe Annette, I have to do what suits me and not sending the order to Stackry is better. It only costs $3 more plus the £4 UK shipping, so it's probably cheaper anyway and this way I won't have a box started. Will also take part in the HHC UK group ordering (I really want the Femme Fatale), that should be cheaper too. That's not organised by Annette anyway.

Did you see that there's an Illyrian pre-order tomorrow? No details yet (of course), other than that it'll include the September cotm. I'm passing, if I love something I'll either hope it comes back or I can get it elsewhere. Worst case scenario, I won't. By the way, she said that she's printing the shipping labels tonight and dropping the last pre-order packages off tomorrow. Let's see how long it'll take them this time to be "scanned".

Anitacska

Time for some mani pictures. First is Great Lakes Lacquer Like Air I'll Rise with Indigo Bananas Sea Quake (holo).

Not nail related, but I bought this cool multichrome/oil slick ring that kind of matches this mani.

Next one is Femme Fatale Rose Red with Dollish Polish That's So Fetch.

This is Picture Polish Shy Violet with Jindie Nails Barney Blew Up. They were both awful. The Picture Polish was really runny and patchy, this is after 4 coats and still not even. The Jindie Nails was sheer, runny, but also very bumpy. Took 2 coats of topcoat to even it out in the end. Meh.

Last edited:

Anitacska

Next mani is Different Dimension Blue Shift with Polished for Days Antarctica.

This is Blush Lacquers Seychelles with Girly Bits Bouquet Corral.

Finally, my current mani, Glam Polish Peace of Mind with Femme Fatale Sinister Calling. Both are oldies, the FF was my oldest untried from the brand. It's not that great, the flipping star glitter is annoying the hell out of me already as one point is sticking up.

PearlyQueen

Well, I caved in and bought from the PPU UK website. As much as I loathe Annette, I have to do what suits me and not sending the order to Stackry is better. It only costs $3 more plus the £4 UK shipping, so it's probably cheaper anyway and this way I won't have a box started. Will also take part in the HHC UK group ordering (I really want the Femme Fatale), that should be cheaper too. That's not organised by Annette anyway.

Did you see that there's an Illyrian pre-order tomorrow? No details yet (of course), other than that it'll include the September cotm. I'm passing, if I love something I'll either hope it comes back or I can get it elsewhere. Worst case scenario, I won't. By the way, she said that she's printing the shipping labels tonight and dropping the last pre-order packages off tomorrow. Let's see how long it'll take them this time to be "scanned".
Yup, I bought from PPU UK and Illyrian - having the Illyrians sent to the UK because it's still cheaper, just got a few. Not sure what works out cheaper to add to my Stackry with the last lot of Illyrians! Non polish things get expensive because of size, and most polishes are cheaper to send direct. Oh well, we'll see - the HHC Illyrian is a definite!

PearlyQueen

Time for some mani pictures. First is Great Lakes Lacquer Like Air I'll Rise with Indigo Bananas Sea Quake (holo).

View attachment 66587

View attachment 66588

View attachment 66589

View attachment 66590

Not nail related, but I bought this cool multichrome/oil slick ring that kind of matches this mani.

View attachment 66596

Next one is Femme Fatale Rose Red with Dollish Polish That's So Fetch.

View attachment 66591

View attachment 66592

This is Picture Polish Shy Violet with Jindie Nails Barney Blew Up. They were both awful. The Picture Polish was really runny and patchy, this is after 4 coats and still not even. The Jindie Nails was sheer, runny, but also very bumpy. Took 2 coats of topcoat to even it out in the end. Meh.

View attachment 66593

View attachment 66594
Oh, some pretty things! Love the first IB and GLL combo, very nice. Your ring is cute too! I keep being tempted, but I have almost as much jewellery as I do nail polish...
The purple Picture Polish looks cute, sorry you don't like it. Interesting that the Jindie is another disaster, I've only worn one of mine (admittedly I've only got a couple) and it was a complete nightmare to work with too. It looks pretty on you mind!

Latest posts