Nail Polish Discussion - Any Brand

PearlyQueen

I'm behind with posting my mani pictures, so here's a few to start with. First is Girly Bits Tangled with Polished for Days Icebow over Christian Dior Rose. The Girly BIts was a bit sheer, but not too bad. The PfD looked much better irl, and despite what the pictures show, my accent nails weren't bare at the tips, it's just how the light reflects off the flakies. All in all, this many was prettier irl.

View attachment 68282

View attachment 68283

View attachment 68284

View attachment 68285

Next is Layla Emerald Divine (2013 untried) with Emily de Molly Flutterby Garden. The EdM was one of my oldest untrieds from the brand.

View attachment 68286

View attachment 68287

This is Emily de Molly Midnight Serenade with Bear Pawlish The Gift 2015. The EdM is really nice and the Bear Pawlish topper was pretty cool.

View attachment 68288

View attachment 68289

View attachment 68290

View attachment 68291

If nobody bothers me for a bit, I'll come back with more mani pictures...
That top mani is super nice! I suspect it would look horrible on me, but I love it on you! The Layla looks cool in the middle one, I can't recall if I have that one - I did buy most of that collection, so probably do! I really don't like the topper that's with it though, sorry. The last mani is much more "me"!! The Bear does look lovely - another one I can't remember if I own! I guess once you get over £3K the names start to blur...

PearlyQueen

Okay, here we go. Next up is Cupcake Polish Poor Unfortunate Souls with Different Dimension Wish You Were Here. I'm pretty sure the Cupcake used to be more of a pinky purple, but I'm not surprised, purples often fade. The DD was one of my oldest untrieds from the brand (I'm curently swatching them btw.)

View attachment 68292

View attachment 68293

This is Glam Polish Winner Kills All with Glam Polish We All Float Down Here! I really liked this mani and it actually looked much prettier irl.

View attachment 68294

View attachment 68295

Next is Femme Fatale Horae Awaits with OPI Polka.com (2013 untried).

View attachment 68296

View attachment 68297

View attachment 68298

Finally this is FUN Lacquer Moonlight Nocturne. I really liked this, even though I don't buy FUNs anymore.

View attachment 68299

View attachment 68300
Some interesting ones there! The Glams mani is my favourite from these. The Cupcake looks pretty, faded or not! But that's another topper I'm not loving so much. Unlike the OPI one, which is absolutely gorgeous - and looks great with that pale FF. Two polishes I would never choose and definitely never put together but it's so pretty. The FUN is nice too. I too stopped buying them a while ago too, I think mostly I was just not blown away by them, pretty but no wow factor. I think I also bought a red that disappointed, always a bit of a blow to any brand for my future business! Cupcake did the same thing, and I hardly ever get theirs now, though their last few releases have drawn me in again and I got a PPU from them recently. FUN could potentially do the same!!!

Anitacska

Some interesting ones there! The Glams mani is my favourite from these. The Cupcake looks pretty, faded or not! But that's another topper I'm not loving so much. Unlike the OPI one, which is absolutely gorgeous - and looks great with that pale FF. Two polishes I would never choose and definitely never put together but it's so pretty. The FUN is nice too. I too stopped buying them a while ago too, I think mostly I was just not blown away by them, pretty but no wow factor. I think I also bought a red that disappointed, always a bit of a blow to any brand for my future business! Cupcake did the same thing, and I hardly ever get theirs now, though their last few releases have drawn me in again and I got a PPU from them recently. FUN could potentially do the same!!!
That top mani is super nice! I suspect it would look horrible on me, but I love it on you! The Layla looks cool in the middle one, I can't recall if I have that one - I did buy most of that collection, so probably do! I really don't like the topper that's with it though, sorry. The last mani is much more "me"!! The Bear does look lovely - another one I can't remember if I own! I guess once you get over £3K the names start to blur...

I like the toppers, but I probably wouldn't buy them now. Those are both from 2013/2014 and back then these toppers were more popular.

Anitacska

I received a small package today from a destash. I got EP 1999, I always fancied it, but as it was part of a duo, I never bothered. It's kind of meh in the bottle, maybe I should swatch it to see if it's better applied. I'm glad I only paid £5 for it. I do love the FF though. For some reason I didn't buy it when it came out and regretted it, so I was happy to find it in a destash.

IMG_20201021_141706862.jpg

I think I will pass on the red Glam with the black glitter, but I do like another one instead. I think it's called Shake, Shake, Shake, Senora.

I've seen quite a few polishes I want from PPU, but will need to see all the swatches first. Some do look quite similar to polishes I own already, so maybe I can be sensible and not order everything, hahaha!

PearlyQueen

I received a small package today from a destash. I got EP 1999, I always fancied it, but as it was part of a duo, I never bothered. It's kind of meh in the bottle, maybe I should swatch it to see if it's better applied. I'm glad I only paid £5 for it. I do love the FF though. For some reason I didn't buy it when it came out and regretted it, so I was happy to find it in a destash.

View attachment 68313

I think I will pass on the red Glam with the black glitter, but I do like another one instead. I think it's called Shake, Shake, Shake, Senora.

I've seen quite a few polishes I want from PPU, but will need to see all the swatches first. Some do look quite similar to polishes I own already, so maybe I can be sensible and not order everything, hahaha!
Nice spot to get those in a destash! I never find any of those in the UK. I like the FF, hope the EP is better on but it does look pretty in the bottle. I bought my Glams, just two - the red and What Sorcery is This? I wasn't sure about those black glitters, but...red! At least it's actually different from my 150 other red flakies! I added Tanned and Tipsy coz I've regretted skipping it and decided I liked it more than the pale blue and black jelly ones tempting me this time around.
Again, I have not seen many PPUs yet, we'll see what we think when I do. But I'm hoping RC get all the Fancy Gloss polishes I fancy on their site next week, I'm sure I'll be shopping for those. I really want a few other things too, but so far resisting a Nail Artisan order, not sure how much longer I'll be able to stop myself. The other day I saw another swatch of that HHC you ordered for me and was all "I WANT" till I saw what it was - so thanks again on that, I appreciate your help!

Anitacska

Nice spot to get those in a destash! I never find any of those in the UK. I like the FF, hope the EP is better on but it does look pretty in the bottle. I bought my Glams, just two - the red and What Sorcery is This? I wasn't sure about those black glitters, but...red! At least it's actually different from my 150 other red flakies! I added Tanned and Tipsy coz I've regretted skipping it and decided I liked it more than the pale blue and black jelly ones tempting me this time around.
Again, I have not seen many PPUs yet, we'll see what we think when I do. But I'm hoping RC get all the Fancy Gloss polishes I fancy on their site next week, I'm sure I'll be shopping for those. I really want a few other things too, but so far resisting a Nail Artisan order, not sure how much longer I'll be able to stop myself. The other day I saw another swatch of that HHC you ordered for me and was all "I WANT" till I saw what it was - so thanks again on that, I appreciate your help!

You're welcome. It's always good to have confirmation that you like something you've ordered/you own.

I also ordered from Glam, got What Sorcery, Shake, Shake, Shake, Senore and People Are Afraid of Me.

I've swatched the EP, it is nicer applied, but I'm stil not bowled over by it. Ah well, as I said, it only cost me £5.

PearlyQueen

You're welcome. It's always good to have confirmation that you like something you've ordered/you own.

I also ordered from Glam, got What Sorcery, Shake, Shake, Shake, Senore and People Are Afraid of Me.

I've swatched the EP, it is nicer applied, but I'm stil not bowled over by it. Ah well, as I said, it only cost me £5.
It is indeed - and nice when going "oo want!!!" not to have to buy! People Are Afraid of Me was very tempting, but I don't really wear black polishes much. Glad the EP was worth the fiver at least!

Anitacska

I have a few minutes, so here are some mani pictures. First is Enchanted Polish I Am the Walrus (2013 untried, over black) topped with Illyrian Polish Dragons Breath on the accents. Lots of pictures because multichrome...

IMG_20201018_114517934.jpg

IMG_20201018_114617438.jpg

IMG_20201018_114447777.jpg

IMG_20201018_114453138.jpg

IMG_20201018_114457723.jpg

Next is Sinful Colors Let Me Go (2013 untried, over white) topped with Polished for Days Pixie Dust on the accents. The Sinful Colors seemed very sheer, so I thought I'd try it over white. I really liked it, such an ethereal effect.

IMG_20201020_105800077.jpg

IMG_20201020_105743436.jpg

IMG_20201020_105813945.jpg

IMG_20201020_105840220.jpg

Anitacska

This is Tonic Polish Oops 37 topped with Indigo Bananas Nautilis (holo) on the accents. The Tonic was said to be similar to There's Magic in Your Hair, but it's more teal and perhaps less shifty. I loved it so much, I actually kept it on an extra day, especially as it didn't chip on me at all despite cleaning the bathroom.

IMG_20201022_132523378.jpg

IMG_20201022_132540236.jpg

IMG_20201022_132602931.jpg

IMG_20201022_132634614.jpg

Finally my current mani, Femme Fatale Flamingo Feather with Femme Fatale The First Northern Witch. Annoyingly Flamingo Feather doesn't look right in the pictures, it's a lot less red and lighter irl, more of a coral colour with orange shimmer.

IMG_20201025_110542441.jpg

IMG_20201025_110655040.jpg

PearlyQueen

I have a few minutes, so here are some mani pictures. First is Enchanted Polish I Am the Walrus (2013 untried, over black) topped with Illyrian Polish Dragons Breath on the accents. Lots of pictures because multichrome...

View attachment 68326

View attachment 68327

View attachment 68328

View attachment 68329

View attachment 68330

Next is Sinful Colors Let Me Go (2013 untried, over white) topped with Polished for Days Pixie Dust on the accents. The Sinful Colors seemed very sheer, so I thought I'd try it over white. I really liked it, such an ethereal effect.

View attachment 68331

View attachment 68332

View attachment 68333

View attachment 68334
Love the EP mani, so pretty! The silvery white is really pretty too.

PearlyQueen

This is Tonic Polish Oops 37 topped with Indigo Bananas Nautilis (holo) on the accents. The Tonic was said to be similar to There's Magic in Your Hair, but it's more teal and perhaps less shifty. I loved it so much, I actually kept it on an extra day, especially as it didn't chip on me at all despite cleaning the bathroom.

View attachment 68335

View attachment 68336

View attachment 68337

View attachment 68338

Finally my current mani, Femme Fatale Flamingo Feather with Femme Fatale The First Northern Witch. Annoyingly Flamingo Feather doesn't look right in the pictures, it's a lot less red and lighter irl, more of a coral colour with orange shimmer.

View attachment 68339

View attachment 68340
These are nice too - especially the Indigo Bananas nails!

PearlyQueen

Been meaning to post this mani for ages! Hits Afterglow over Nails Inc Marylebone Lane:
DSC03868.JPG DSC03869.JPG DSC03874.JPG DSC03876.JPG

The Nails Inc was a mini from an old TSV, a nice shade of purple and quite shimmery - I've worn it before, but it was on its last legs this time, so it's now officially finished! I couldn't capture the orange shift in the topper but it's there (which surprised me as I hadn't expected it!) and actually works really nicely with the purple. It was a weird mani to do, with the Nails inc all gloopy and hard to apply with its teeny weeny brush, then a huge paintbrush for the topper (which was very nice and easy to apply with even glitter coverage). I like this combo a lot - it's the first time I've used one of these toppers from Hits, I am impressed.

PearlyQueen

I screenshotted swatches of the Dreamland for PPU. It's really pretty. I'm not happy with this month's offerings, I like way too many of them.

View attachment 68342
That is quite pretty! I haven't investigated PPU yet... I find I have overspent this month already, Byron's op/new kettle/Shleee/Glam/Rainbow Connection/Harlow & Co, so Nail Artisan will have to wait a while, and I'm hoping PPU is not going to be too much. RC have announced a Fancy Gloss restock for next week and I am definitely getting some of those, Blood Moon for sure and there are a number of others I've seen I hope she will get too. Now regretting my mystery bag polish from Wildflower as I've seen them and I wouldn't have gone there if I'd seen them before! I hope they'll be nicer IRL as one is very pale, maybe a topper, and one is orange (which is OK but isn't a colour I buy or wear very often). Impulse buy regret!!!

Anitacska

That is quite pretty! I haven't investigated PPU yet... I find I have overspent this month already, Byron's op/new kettle/Shleee/Glam/Rainbow Connection/Harlow & Co, so Nail Artisan will have to wait a while, and I'm hoping PPU is not going to be too much. RC have announced a Fancy Gloss restock for next week and I am definitely getting some of those, Blood Moon for sure and there are a number of others I've seen I hope she will get too. Now regretting my mystery bag polish from Wildflower as I've seen them and I wouldn't have gone there if I'd seen them before! I hope they'll be nicer IRL as one is very pale, maybe a topper, and one is orange (which is OK but isn't a colour I buy or wear very often). Impulse buy regret!!!

Yeah, I have one of those too. I got sucked into bidding on a perfume travel set, it's a collectors item, I probably won't use them and the bottles are tiny (which I did know in advance, just didn't think about it enough). Oh well, it's one of those things.

Anitacska

Been meaning to post this mani for ages! Hits Afterglow over Nails Inc Marylebone Lane:
View attachment 68343 View attachment 68344 View attachment 68345 View attachment 68346

The Nails Inc was a mini from an old TSV, a nice shade of purple and quite shimmery - I've worn it before, but it was on its last legs this time, so it's now officially finished! I couldn't capture the orange shift in the topper but it's there (which surprised me as I hadn't expected it!) and actually works really nicely with the purple. It was a weird mani to do, with the Nails inc all gloopy and hard to apply with its teeny weeny brush, then a huge paintbrush for the topper (which was very nice and easy to apply with even glitter coverage). I like this combo a lot - it's the first time I've used one of these toppers from Hits, I am impressed.

Nice mani. I also have the Hits and used it, it's a dupe for EP Bonjour Paris I think, which I also own and have used.

Anitacska

My Tonic order is finally in the country (was shipped 2 weeks ago) and I've had to cough up nearly 20 quid for customs and the stupid RM fee. Ugh. They're being delivered on Tuesday.

I've had a stressful week and I've not been feeling well this weekend, so I haven't got around to cropping mani pictures. I'm really stressed right now as my daughter is doing her Maths and English GCSEs (the ones she couldn't take in June) from tomorrow and we've had so much drama over getting up early and getting to College on time before half term, so I'm not looking forward to the next 8 days. She's actually planning on quitting College after the GCSEs, because the course she's doing is mostly coursework based, but she has trouble with completing everything and turning up every day (mental health issues and ADHD). She's planning on taking some more GCSEs in the summer and applying for A-level based courses (so theory ones instead of coursework based like Art and Media Studies which are the ones she's doing now). That's of course if GCSEs aren't cancelled again next summer. Ugh.

PearlyQueen

My Tonic order is finally in the country (was shipped 2 weeks ago) and I've had to cough up nearly 20 quid for customs and the stupid RM fee. Ugh. They're being delivered on Tuesday.

I've had a stressful week and I've not been feeling well this weekend, so I haven't got around to cropping mani pictures. I'm really stressed right now as my daughter is doing her Maths and English GCSEs (the ones she couldn't take in June) from tomorrow and we've had so much drama over getting up early and getting to College on time before half term, so I'm not looking forward to the next 8 days. She's actually planning on quitting College after the GCSEs, because the course she's doing is mostly coursework based, but she has trouble with completing everything and turning up every day (mental health issues and ADHD). She's planning on taking some more GCSEs in the summer and applying for A-level based courses (so theory ones instead of coursework based like Art and Media Studies which are the ones she's doing now). That's of course if GCSEs aren't cancelled again next summer. Ugh.
Ouch that's steep, hope they're worth it! Good to know about the customs, I didn't pay any on my last Tonic order (a good couple of years ago though).
Sounds like a very stressful time, I dread going back to the office and the 7am starts that go with it - not sure if they'll be demanding attendance come January, but the way it's going I am hoping not. I'm very dubious we'll have many students on campus by the time they've all gone home for Xmas. Education is a mystery these days, let alone hpme schooling, I hope the exams go well for her.
Back to polish! So I was all excited to get my Fancy Glosses from RC but her restock didn't have any of the ones I wanted and so I ordered direct. And the direct shipping was over $35, so I opened a Stackry box instead! And since I had a box starting, I bought a couple of the new Illyrian protos on pre-order. I was very restrained and just got the two I really loved, rather than the whole damn lot as I used to. I'm hoping this box will cover any Black Friday shopping I have - and there's a non-polish bulky item (blanket) I really want to buy from USA, hubby's paying for it for my Xmas present but I'm paying the shipping, so it will be an expensive Stackry checkout to come but it might be the last depending how things work come January. I am considering another couple of small purchases now to add to it (a couple from Great Lakes and 3 Lollipop Posses). I've been very spendy! So Nail Artisan will have to wait a while longer.
I also had a good look at PPU preview and I'm only seriously tempted by the Lemming and the PfD thankfully. I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper and easier to buy it from RC rather than Stackry it, but I'll do the sums later to decide.
And finally here's my new mani - Illyrian Arctic Sun:
DSC04122.JPG DSC04123.JPG DSC04128.JPG DSC04129.JPG DSC04134.JPG
I do like this one! Again my camera wants to pick up the blues not the purples but it does read more purple more of the time. I'm hating the broken nail on my left hand, it has been about 3 weeks since I did it and it's still mega short and annoying. I'm also wishing I'd cut the others down a bit before I did this mani as they're now getting to be a nuisance, so they will definitely be shorter next pics! Not as short as that damn broken one though!

Anitacska

Ouch that's steep, hope they're worth it! Good to know about the customs, I didn't pay any on my last Tonic order (a good couple of years ago though).
Sounds like a very stressful time, I dread going back to the office and the 7am starts that go with it - not sure if they'll be demanding attendance come January, but the way it's going I am hoping not. I'm very dubious we'll have many students on campus by the time they've all gone home for Xmas. Education is a mystery these days, let alone hpme schooling, I hope the exams go well for her.
Back to polish! So I was all excited to get my Fancy Glosses from RC but her restock didn't have any of the ones I wanted and so I ordered direct. And the direct shipping was over $35, so I opened a Stackry box instead! And since I had a box starting, I bought a couple of the new Illyrian protos on pre-order. I was very restrained and just got the two I really loved, rather than the whole damn lot as I used to. I'm hoping this box will cover any Black Friday shopping I have - and there's a non-polish bulky item (blanket) I really want to buy from USA, hubby's paying for it for my Xmas present but I'm paying the shipping, so it will be an expensive Stackry checkout to come but it might be the last depending how things work come January. I am considering another couple of small purchases now to add to it (a couple from Great Lakes and 3 Lollipop Posses). I've been very spendy! So Nail Artisan will have to wait a while longer.
I also had a good look at PPU preview and I'm only seriously tempted by the Lemming and the PfD thankfully. I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper and easier to buy it from RC rather than Stackry it, but I'll do the sums later to decide.
And finally here's my new mani - Illyrian Arctic Sun:
View attachment 68353 View attachment 68354 View attachment 68355 View attachment 68356 View attachment 68357
I do like this one! Again my camera wants to pick up the blues not the purples but it does read more purple more of the time. I'm hating the broken nail on my left hand, it has been about 3 weeks since I did it and it's still mega short and annoying. I'm also wishing I'd cut the others down a bit before I did this mani as they're now getting to be a nuisance, so they will definitely be shorter next pics! Not as short as that damn broken one though!

Yeah, the Tonics are really pretty, I'll post a picture in a bit.

This week was very stressful as I predicted, or even more so as I had to deal with other stuff on top of the exam/College stress. One more exam left on Monday, then it's done and she's leaving College. Hopefully she'll be able to get a few more GCSEs done in the summer. My eldest only has to go into Uni max once a week, so it's not too bad. I'm glad we're in lockdown again as there are so many irresponsible people. Our borough was already in tier 2 anyway. I'm quite amused that Dominic Raab (who is unfortunately our MP) is now self-isolating. Can't stand the guy.

Anyway, I didn't order from Femme Fatale in the end. I was going to get some of the new shades, but didn't feel like they were a must have, so passed. I've just culled my PPU list from 10 to 7, but I will definitely get those. I'm loving the new FTLOP box. Just trying to decide if I want to order the 3 new shades I want with it, or wait until BF. I don't think they'll have a discount on the newest collections, but I'm sending that to Stackry anyway, so probably doesn't greatly matter how I divide them.

Which Illyrians did you order? I really like a few of the new polishes, so hoping you chose 2 of those.

I like your mani too. Sorry about the broken nail. My nails are in a terrible state.

Latest posts