Nail polish holder?

hawaii02

Right now, my nail polishes are lined up in a small box on my sink. I'm looking for something better than the little box I have. What kind of holder does everyone use as a space saver or to keep polishes right side up?

sillylilacs

The first attempt at nail polish organizing, I got a small spice rack at walmart. And that held up pretty well and it was great...until I got more polishes =O

Now I have them in clear shoe boxes that you can get at the dollar store or the container store, walmart, etc, and I just line them up by highend vs drugstore. And the boxes sit on my printer ^_^

It's great because you can see what colors you want when you take off the lid, plus the height is just perfect for nail polish =)

I know some people organize theirs by the actual nail polish rack you can buy, I think it retails somewhere around $60 (without shipping) and that's too deep of a reach in my college bank acct for =O I spent $3 on the clear boxes in the dollar store =D which is much better
winks.gif

Good luck!

cutegingerbread

I use the nail polish racks...mines was $50 with shipping from transdesign.com, I love it because I can see everything!

i tried boxes before but that wasn't convenient for me, personally, because all i saw was caps of the bottles instead of the polish color

hope that helps!

ruthless

I bought from a guy off of etsy, was 18USD for the rack and 18USD for the shipping. Someone else got burned by him so I can't reccomend him, I believe he's on ebay as well-it's the exact same rack as the ones on Transdesign. If you are good with woodworking you can make your own wall mounted one, lots of inspiration and designs online.

figgy1982

Has anyone tried these from ikea? They are just rail ledge thingers to mount on the wall and stand pictures on, they might be a little deep but something similar might work. I have always thought they might be cool for pigments or polishes.
It's called Ribba picture ledge
0085949_PE214154_S4.JPG

naturallyfab

you could try looking up nail polish holders on ebay. They're way cheaper on there that in places like the Container Store

hawaii02

Thanks for the replies. I don't have an Ikea or a Container Store here, but will browse Evilbay and see what is there!

ruthless

Quote:
Originally Posted by figgy1982
Has anyone tried these from ikea? They are just rail ledge thingers to mount on the wall and stand pictures on, they might be a little deep but something similar might work. I have always thought they might be cool for pigments or polishes.
It's called Ribba picture ledge
0085949_PE214154_S4.JPG

This looks like a good idea for what I want! Thanks

lara

I am making do with my bedside table - three drawers all stuffed so full that they're almost too heavy to pull out.

If anyone has a solution that scales up for us in the '400 bottles and up' brigade, I'm all ears!
greengrin.gif

Miz Pina

Lara - the Helmer is your friend. It will hold approx 500 polishes.

IKEA | Workspace storage | Drawer units | HELMER | Drawer unit on castors

My polishes live in a Helmer and my favorites and treatments I keep in a tabletop nail rack for easy access. I keep my extra felt, files, konad, etc in a vintage train case on top of Helmer. I've run out of room so I guess I am at a crossroads - do I get another Helmer or purge?

When my collection was smaller I used to keep them in clear boxes that I got at container store. If I remember correctly, the long box will hold around 18 polishes. Maybe more but I used to keep them in the np boxes that hold 6/ea.

The Container Store > Handy Boxes

Miz Pina

Yes, I have OPI for Sephora, Revlon Streetwear & Nailtini. They are 3.5" and fit with almost .25" headroom to spare. I think these are my tallest bottles.

also for OP: from time to time, OPI puts out various nail polish traincases. Here's mine:

DSC09394.jpg

DSC09395.jpg

ruthless

The issue for me is that I want to be able to see my nail polish, so a helmer although a good storage solution doesn't help me see what I have.

I'm going to count them tomorrow. Sigh.

Miz Pina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii02
How often do they put them out?

Most likely around the holidays. I purchased mine a few years ago and I think the recent ones I have seen hold the polish on top and have a drawer on the bottom which is nice to store files, remover, felt, etc. They are usually available as a purchase with purchase type deal (purchase x nbr polishes and buy the case for x dollars) at stores like Ulta, Beautyfirst or Trade Secret. Also, it looks like there are 2 on ebay right now.

darkh3av3n

Great suggestions ladies! I have also been looking for a nail polish storage solution. Although the nail display cases off of transdesign are nice, I wanted something a bit more stylish for my polishes.

I am planning on getting this mirror from ikea.... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10154596 and then going to Home Depot to get additional pieces of wood for shelves. I love the wooden look and the mirror on the back would reflect my polishes back at me
smiles.gif

If I ever get started on this project, I will post pictures of the end result
party.gif

Dahlia_Rayn

My husband works in a fab shop, and they do a lot of metal design work, so he's being amazing (and probably catching a lot of guff from his work buddies) and making me a custom stainless (with daisies I might add) nail polish rack for my collection of around 300 polishes. I fully intend to take pictures when they're finished (of my whole "makeup" room that I've recently redone) and post them here on Specktra. I'm so freaking excited!

JennsJewelz

My husband works in a fab shop, and they do a lot of metal design work, so he's being amazing (and probably catching a lot of guff from his work buddies) and making me a custom stainless (with daisies I might add) nail polish rack for my collection of around 300 polishes. I fully intend to take pictures when they're finished (of my whole "makeup" room that I've recently redone) and post them here on Specktra. I'm so freaking excited!
Wow, that's amazing!! Can't wait to see pics
smiles.gif

The black IKEA shelf form before is really deep = I have one above my desk which I use to hold my textbooks! However, you COULD get some of the little "staircase" spice rack/cabinet organizers so that you could stack up several levels on one shelf! I'm thinking of something along the lines of this... you could probably also create your own, somehow! http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Rack-Expand-Shelf-Model/dp/B0000E1VWK The IKEA shelves are very sturdy, which is a plus
smiles.gif