name change

litlaur

We have a rather diverse group of people here, so I'm hoping to find someone with a bit of legal expertise or even someone who works in the field. I need to get a legal name change for silly reasons, but it's really my only option. I'll tell the story if anyone really wants to know, it's pretty stupid.

Anyway, I have some questions. I made an entry about it in my LiveJournal, you can comment either here or there.

http://litlaur.livejournal.com/94018.html

I'd appreciate any advice!

toby1

Call your local courthouse you can probably get the forms from them and find out the fees, etc.

litlaur

Well, when I was born, the doctor spelled my name wrong on the birth certificate, Lola instead of Laura. When I got my driver's license, my parents couldn't find the corrected copy, so my license says Lola. The DDS website says to get a name change on your license, you have to have either a marriage license or a legal name change. Why I can't just show them both birth certificates is beyond me.

I'm going to try to go talk to them tomorrow, with various items that have the right name (passport, student ID, bank statements...), as well as both birth certificates. But with my luck, they'll insist on protocol.

luminious

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlaur
Well, when I was born, the doctor spelled my name wrong on the birth certificate, Lola instead of Laura. When I got my driver's license, my parents couldn't find the corrected copy, so my license says Lola. The DDS website says to get a name change on your license, you have to have either a marriage license or a legal name change. Why I can't just show them both birth certificates is beyond me.

I'm going to try to go talk to them tomorrow, with various items that have the right name (passport, student ID, bank statements...), as well as both birth certificates. But with my luck, they'll insist on protocol.

I never heard of that happening before. Why did you keep the wrong one anyway? I would have just kept the correct one. I hope they dont make you do the name change because I've done it twice and its a hassel. And how do u then have 2 birth certificates? Shouldnt the one saying Lola be void?

litlaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminious
I never heard of that happening before. Why did you keep the wrong one anyway? I would have just kept the correct one. I hope they dont make you do the name change because I've done it twice and its a hassel. And how do u then have 2 birth certificates? Shouldnt the one saying Lola be void?

That would just be too sensible!

I don't understand it at all. I don't remember why, but my parents were advised to keep both.

But it's not as pressing of a concern now. I was worried because my flight reservations are under my correct name, but the only form of government ID I have is my license with the wrong name. With all the security concerns lately, I thought I might get detained or not even get through. But I talked to my dad today, and he told me he has my passport that hasn't expired yet.

I still want to get this crap straightened out, but I don't want the hassle right now.

toby1

You think that's bad when my aunt was born, in Georgia. The doctors had a different name put on her birth certificate because the name her mother wanted to give her was considered inappropriate for a minority
ssad.gif
Quote:

luminious

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby1
You think that's bad when my aunt was born, in Georgia. The doctors had a different name put on her birth certificate because the name her mother wanted to give her was considered inappropriate for a minority
ssad.gif

That's messed up.. why would they care? Did they fix that?

toby1

I guess they didn't want a non caucasian having what they considered a caucasian name**shrugs** She had to go through legally having her name changed, to the name her mother wanted her to have and she had always gone by, after about 50 years & that was a total mess!! Quote:
That's messed up.. why would they care? Did they fix that?