NARS Contour Blushes - Swatches and Review

Monica

When I first read about these palettes on Specktra I was curious about how easy they would be to use.I’ve heard so much about contouring lately and who hasn’t seen this picture making the rounds on pinterest?
P2FYhDCbifN7jrFGiuO1IZ3xbguENsMklQZ-JtkXmX8xrMIm2PwDb87lI9p1R8luRYJFYxyxnVEUEO7tyYszIVk_XnOmLxC6JHxHqDpguRZtCsK5WRsDFNk8e7g6SA

I can make myself look like a supermodel with just a few strategic brush strokes? I’m in! So when I received these palettes in the mail on Friday (compliments of Nars) I thought the perfect time to use them would be for date night on Saturday with the husband. I figured I’d give contouring my best shot and if I walked out the door looking more like this:
B7UdouRm6lMcjJnVw8nYs9wg32NkN8V-hbIAK7AfR6t-9V7XQgdQhjxuA3y_7zvMnFBKW3yOTrisWkWT8D1TEkYN_h1_UvywGodMibyz5teO-kJAbPeH9PcMYxV1Rg

than at least the dim lighting in a restaurant would be forgiving.

So from what I’ve seen NARS has been the first to jump on the boat and get these niche products to the market. I was impressed by the size of them, they’re pretty large and fit nicely into the entire palm of my hand. You can file them under “blushes” but from the texture and use, they are just pressed powder divided into highlight and low light colors. Having them together in one palette is definitely convenient and as an amateur contourist I appreciate the fact that NARS has put together two shades that compliment each other so I’m not searching for a bronzer that isn’t too shimmery to match with a highlighting powder etc. Here’s a picture of each of the color choices:
r7Rp4xApoSsDpU1GcFT_gKsHU2BrMMSupPY0_2EWOXFDH9ZsVCIm-2pbEhSUCt4AEaM_PqJhRVx4RqCXM4TKcn6msjS0Dt_oaJEWfCl0IOUkE0DJMX8B30UshEbvqA

When you swipe your brush across the powder it loosens very easily so you get a good amount of product with each stroke. I included pictures of the pans after I swatched them which illustrates this can also make a mess very quickly. I liked that the powder wasn’t extremely shimmery because it made my face still look natural after I applied a few layers.

69jAe5A5J1Mw9_xFv_D1p95Rz_ec-JszBynx-3Iq_9bLN0ne0u7ttBPuUgTYA6ycLZVZKNDYScILuUWmTjkdxp9oRofoetMue-5VDyjMjsD0rEWniEcEpm429UKf1A

OsVndsEHx_59YPp1z581oewQDQq0zUXRXwbDPL50GtN6ksiDE8SP8qZguju-ewHtA69Klx-DKaPZLly0TX79_hobPWh-tJF6WR1eQ4kTa32b3AYC-PFqZ3gokiyXmQ

It was pretty disappointing to have the highlight colors completely blend into my natural skin tone. The colors are swatched in the picture above but they completely disappeared into my skin. I'm very light and thought at first that the lightest shade would be the best for me, however after I swatched them on my arm and saw just how light Olympia really was, I decided to use the slightly darker shade Paloma.

I didn’t get fancy with using different highlighting foundations (I’m just not that skilled) I just applied my primer and foundation and did a simple eye and dark lip. Then I took the lowlight shade and applied it in the shadows of my cheekbones, my temples, and tried to slim my nose a bit by applying it to each side and around the tip. I used the highlight shade over my brows, under my eyes, on the tops of my cheekbones & chin. I also attempted (and failed) to define my jawline a bit more by shadowing under it.

Here’s a sexy before and after shot:
k89af6KSk3nrzGgFKHqFImR8PhqkfYBqPSRtH14GL82-ccp_2UOP4VximOQPZj6__vVt1rcRD-GbTeuVXbbiJjdQbCqC1J8WPmqaoboBSxPhHe0GUypgSzZHCb4X0g

The thing I liked best about this blush set is the definition I was able to achieve on my nose. I think that was the most marked change. It also it helped my dampen my shiny skin. After using the powder I felt like my skin not only looked better but also like I had some control over the parts of my face that I'm not particularly happy with. The husband doesn’t generally comment on my face, other than “you look nice”, but that night as we headed out the door he asked me if I had done something different with my make up. I simply replied, “yes”, and he told me I looked beautiful. Date night was definitely a success!

I hope this information helps you guys and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

*These products were sent to me on behalf of Specktra for my consideration compliments of NARS*

MatteMacLips

Love this review! I'm currently building my kit and have been looking for something like this. I have a few clients booked for next month, maybe I'll pick these up.

Monica

great work and review.. I have not even looked at these in depth.

Quote: Originally Posted by MatteMacLips

Love this review! I'm currently building my kit and have been looking for something like this. I have a few clients booked for next month, maybe I'll pick these up.
Thank you guys! I really had a blast doing it.

Monsy

thanks for the review
i wish photos are slightly bigger :( maybe you can upload bigger ones that we can click on and see products more up close

Monica

thanks for the review
i wish photos are slightly bigger :( maybe you can upload bigger ones that we can click on and see products more up close
This is a great suggestion! I'll work on getting some larger pictures up for you shortly.

fallenang3l211

rofl that pic of lindsay. everything that could possibly go wrong with bronzer has happened to her.

thanks for the review!

dorni

Thanks for the review and the swatches MonikaRose. I love my Illamasqua powder blush in Rumor for conturing, but it's nearly gone and sadly discontinued for a long time so Olympia is in the run as a replacement.

breatheonbeat

those are awesome monikarose- and if that was your husband's reaction, i'd say that they were a success then! subtle. i can't seem to find a good/light bronzer and always just tend to look dirty. perhaps olympia will solve that! :)

Monica

I created a flickr set to post larger resolution images. Please let me know if there is something specific you'd like to see. I'm thinking of trying to get a better arm swatch photo. Here's a link to the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/122048466@N08/sets/72157643238948323/

breatheonbeat

I created a flickr set to post larger resolution images. Please let me know if there is something specific you'd like to see. I'm thinking of trying to get a better arm swatch photo. Here's a link to the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/122048466@N08/sets/72157643238948323/
do you happen to know how the olympia bronzer compares to benefit dallas?

breatheonbeat

you are the best!!!
i have the dallas in a little set. i have been trying to contour with it, but it is too rosey and not natural looking.
so basically you have confirmed i probably need this nars contour blush. i can't find an emoticon on here, but on my iphone the one i would use is of money flying away.
I went to Ulta today and swatched Dallas (I've never seen it in person before) and here are my conclusions about the similarities and differences.

Dallas is silky texture almost like a liquid or gel type composition while the Nars formula is definitely pure powder. The Dallas color is an almost rosey hue with alot of highlight in it, its not glittery but is definitely shimmery. The NARS blush has neither of those 2 qualities, it is more matte and natural looking and the color is definitely more brown than rose or golden bronze. It is not a bronzer at all actually, in my opinion, its just brown blush if that makes sense.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks
th_sign_woot.gif

Latest posts