NARS Customer service

SarahC0612

I placed an order for $200 worth of product on Wednesday 12/14 to Nars. Their site says that orders placed after 11am are processed the following day and that they are currently running a free 2 day shipping special. Therefore, my order should have been processed and shipped on the 15th and delivered by the end of today (Monday the 19th). My order still says "shipping soon" as the status. I have emailed customer service several times and gotten no response. I have tried calling them about 15-20 times this morning and keep getting a recorded message that says all reps are currently busy and to leave a message. I left a message, but have little faith that I will hear back. I am getting extrememely irritated. I think this is horrid service. How can they not have a system that puts people on hold until a rep is available? I don't believe anyone is working, the chances of there being NO ONE free to take my call everytime I've called is pretty slim. Has anyone else experienced this kind of nonsense from Nars? I would not be freaking out like this if I didn't need the products for a job. With the promises they make on their site to process the order in 0-1 days and 2 day shipping, I thought placing an order on the 14th for a job I have on the 22nd would be plenty of time. I guess I was wrong. I guess I will go back to only shopping MAC products. When I order from them online, my stuff is on my door step within 2-3 days, every time. And if I ever have to email them, I get a response, every time.

elektra513

I never ever have had this experience from them and I have been ordering online from them for a long time. So much so that they sent me a holiday/thank you gift last year. I am sorry that this is happening to you, it truly is unacceptable for them to not at least have someone available for your questions. I honestly cannot think of any reasoning behind their issues other than it's the holidays and everyone must also be taking advantage of the 2 day shipping promo (they usually have just regular shipping for orders over a certain $ amount). I really hope this works out for you and you get your products in time.

SarahC0612

Thank you! I still can't reach them and they still have not answered my emails. This is terrible service!

Ingenue

NARS is typically on point with this kind of thing. I've never had an issue with them. The nature of your status simply may not be updated electronically (even if it changed physically). But when it ships, you normally get a shipment email from them.

Still, someone needs to pick up the phone.

I'd never go by the 'confirmation' -- as those are typically automated. 2 day shipping is calculated from the time you get an actual 'shipment notification', not from the time you place the order (and the time that it takes them to process). Even if they tell you that processing is same or next day... there's no telling what 'time' of day that order is processed. I'd still calculate dreaded Holiday response time too, because all companies get swamped from November to January.

When you get that 'shipment notification' -- start counting the days.

Ingenue

And just some friendly professional advice: NEVER cut it that close with supplies for a gig. Always have a backup plan. Typically, anything that MIGHT go wrong... normally DOES go wrong.

I hope it gets better for you.

I just called them. Did you get their message about the office closing on the 22nd? I bet they are SWAMPED.

Are your products a 'must have' for your upcoming job? Or can you substitute with a different product?

SarahC0612

I really need them for the job. I did not intentionally put off ordering, I didn't find out about the gig until Wednesday which was when I ordered. I know the 2 day shipping refers to the transit time, not from when I order. My point is, it should have shipped last Thursday, Friday at the latest, according to their the "customer care" section of their site which I have copy/pasted below:

HOLIDAY PROCESSING TIME
Online orders must be submitted by December 21 by 1pm est in order to receive by December 23 via Fedex 2 Day shipping before the holiday. This offer excludes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands and Military boxes.

Order Processing Times
Most NARS orders are processed within 0 - 1 business days. Orders placed after 11:00 AM EST may ship the following business day. Likewise, orders placed on non-business days (weekends or holidays) will be processed on the next business day.

When possible, orders with Overnight or 2nd Day Service will be processed the same day if received by 12 Noon EST, although we try to extend this cut-off time whenever possible. Orders are processed, shipped and delivered on business days only. Orders placed by 12 noon EST usually ship the same day.

I also heard the recorded message say that they are closed on the 22nd. But today is the 19th. It is ridiculous that they are ignoring customers and even more infuriating that they have this BS on their site about processing times if they cannot stick to it. Not only are they blowing off their phones they aren't responding to emails either! I've emailed and left a voice mail and gotten no response of any kind. I've even resorted to posting on their FB wall! I posted 1 hour after their last post which was 5 hours ago so I know someone there saw it. But they have not bothered to respond. Its just ludicrous. If they have people there who have time to put up photos of Elle Fanning from their last photo shoot, then they can take 2 seconds to look my order up and tell me when they plan to ship it.

I am sorry, I am not trying to yell at you. I am just very annoyed by this. I have never been ignored like this by any company. Especially after dropping $200 on an order for their products. Ridiculous!

elektra513

Just a quick thought--did you check your junk email for a shipment confirmation? Ingenue brought up a good point about status updates not always being accurate. Fingers crossed that you either hear back or get your shipment in time.

SarahC0612

Yeah, I've have checked emails. I am constantly on my email. I have nothing from Nars; not a response to my emails to customer service, or a shipment confirmation. I do agree with Ingenue that the order status on the site is sometimes not right. I was actually hoping that was the case and it had arrived today. But it wasn't here when I got home tonight. I just think that the fact that they have not responded to my multiple contacts (phone, voice mail, email, facebook), is really poor. And the fact that no one answered the phone at all today is even worse. Even more appalling is that their site states they will ship within 0-1 day of when orders are placed because they are clearly not doing that! I ordered 3 business days ago, and they haven't touched my order! And now, they can't even get back to me about when they plan to process it. I mean, if they are backed up fine. The courteous (and proper) thing to do would be to respond to me with an apology and explanation. I would not be this ticked off if they had at least acknowledged my inquiries. In fact, I would not be mad at all. They are blatantly ignoring their customers and that is making me furious!

elektra513

Ok, just checking. Sometimes emails can skip right past the inbox and go straight for the junk/spam folder...

SarahC0612

It's not in spam. I already checked there and just checked again this am :(
I do have one update. Since customer service was blowing me off, I emailed them through their "ask an artist" program and some one responded! There is actually some one at Nars that is alive and responsive. But all she said was, I'm forwarding yor email to customer care." gee, thanks.

SarahC0612

Now they've deleted my post on their Facebook page. I will never buy anything from them again. Worst customer service ever!!!!

Ingenue

This whole thing is really amazing to me. I've never heard of such terrible service, especially from such a reputable company. I work with NARS all the time, and I've never had an issue.

The $$ amount spent never matters with an order priority.You have the right to be upset, whether you spent $2 or $200... because all of those orders are treated the same by any given company.

It's really rude what's happening to you. I'm sorry. I hope you get your stuff soon.

SarahC0612

Update: I called the corp office, which I'd also tried yesterday and got a recording that lead to no where. I thought I'd try today for the heck of it. Some one picked up!!!! I explained what I'd experienced and that no one was picking up again today. She said cust abc was in the process of moving to a new office so theywere not answering calls yesterday. A fine time to shut your office down!!!!! During a free 2 day shipping specia!??!? So she transfers me to cust service and someone picked up!!!!! The person I spoke to reiterated the office move and also said there were other delays due to their warehouse system going down over the weekend. Shipments were delyed and online order statuses were not getting updated. She found my order and have me a tracking number; it shipped yesterday.

Okay so Nars has redeemed themselves, I'm so relieved! It looks like my stuff will arrive today or tomorrow. It's on the truck today so I'm hoping they deliver today.

SarahC0612

My stuff is delivered!!!! Yay Nars! My cleaning lady happened to be there when fed ex arrived and signed for the shipment! Yay!

Ingenue

I'm glad you got your stuff.

I would be dishonest if I didn't say that as a person on the other side of this (I own a business), it's really best if you don't automatically assume the worst. Things happen. There are shipment delays, charge-backs, misunderstandings, lost packages, and outright shenanigans... some of which is out of the control of the shipper.

The amount of money spent is irrelevant. I know that sounds harsh, but all orders in any given company are processed in the order they are received. So if a $20 order comes in ahead of your $200 dollar one... it's still being addressed before yours. That's in keeping with all customers are treated equally, no matter how much they spend.

When a customer goes off the reservation within 24/48 hours of a misunderstanding... I typically refund their purchase with an apology. I completely understand if weeks have passed and there's no rectification. But when it's 'close' in terms of time and performance, I'd rather send back money with an apology and a smile. I pride myself in excellent customer service, and my peace of mind is priceless.

I would never have deleted your Facebook status though. I would have addressed it publicly, since that's where you chose to air your complaints.

The move/shipment special probably has a lot less to do with ONE entity and a lot more to do with multiple departments scrambling to be on the same page. NARS is smaller than most people realize. Their pro department consists of 4 people, and you have to apply by snail mail... that's telling.

SarahC0612

True that! I think I did over react some, but I get pissed when I feel I'm being ignored. I also know that orders go first come first serve. I just felt slighted because I'd spent so much and they weren't responding. If they'd have replied and explained the situation I would have been cool as a cucumber. When all I got from them were the sound of crickets chirping, it ticked me off.

The whole point of my post was riser of anyone else had experienced this with Nars. And as the day went on I kept getting more and more ticked.

I didn't realize they were so small, though I did find it odd that you have to mail in your pro application, (I have one). Now I know why!

Ingenue

Yeah, when they explained to me that the pro department is REALLY small, I kind of figured that it's easy for them to sometimes get overwhelmed.

I understand why you were upset. I totally get it. It's just sometimes a concern for me when a see a reaction from the customer side of the story... because I've been on both sides of the issue.